The Ritual - NetFlix (February 9th, 2018)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 26, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

One of last year's big midnight movies on the festival circuit has been acquired by NetFlix and is being debuted on their platform two weeks from today (February 9th).

Directed by David Bruckner, who contributed segments to anthology films V/H/S, Southbound, and The Signal.

satans-sadists, Colin and Myron Breck like this.
  2. killit

killit Active Member

YEAH!

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Looks like a bit of a mind fuck....I'm in!

4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I put in on my list but I'm not that much of a fan of the director's VHS segment.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The trailer looked good. I am interested in this.

6. CPT HOOK

This was decent and well-made and all that, but it was also kind of bland and not something I'd revisit. I kind of feel like I've seen this same exact movie several times over the past few years (the latest Blair Witch, The Hallow, The Monster, etc). The final act is good fun, and I thought it ended well. The movie sets itself up for a cop-out ending that I spent most of the movie dreading, but fortunately it didn't go that route.

I'm glad NetFlix acquired it because it was a perfect free one-time NetFlix watch, but nothing more than that. Normally I dread NetFlix acquisitions because it means no physical media release, but this one I was fine with.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed it, special effects design was great, really effective, very WTF!

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just watched this last night and was really into it....till the end. Yup, very much like a Blair Witch, but with constant "wtf" going on. Creepy and great atmosphere. I just felt the last act was a little forced/over the top and didn't play out like the rest of the movie did.

I loved the woods, going through them, leading up to the cabin, wtf was going on in the cabin, upstairs, peoples dreams and reactions, the fires in the woods leading to the cult and the very very slight image of the "monster". But to have the thing all CGI'd up chase the main character through the woods as long as it did and have a yelling match outside the trees - hmmmmm. We learn how "fast" it is, but after all that it can't catch this wounded dood over that amount of time? Cmon. I liked it better when you barely knew what the thing was. That image of it floating through the woods from the right towards one of the hikers? That was awesome. I did dig how it tried to make him pray/bow to him. Just remove like 75% of that ending.

Overall, I enjoyed it and it's certainly worth a watch. Keep 'em coming!

9. CPT HOOK

A lot of the movie has already exited my brain, but
    the reason they stopped and had the yelling match was because the creature had reached the boundary of the woods, which I don't think the creature could exit. So the yelling was almost like a "haha, I beat you!", since he was now out of the creature's reach. Hence, the creature retreats back into the woods.

That was my FAVORITE part of the movie. LOVED it. I thought it had a great ending, and I loved when it went a little bonkers in the final act. But the first hour of the movie was just so derivative of the most recent Blair Witch that overall the movie failed to hit the mark for me.

I was super worried the movie was going to end with
    him in the supermarket and the entire movie being his inner turmoil in that moment, or something lame like that.

So grateful the movie didn't go there, even though it teases that outcome several times throughout.

10. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

elements from countless other horror movies (Blair Witch, The Wicker Man, Deliverance) are mixed together but it's a fun ride for the most part, it looks great and the location is top notch too

and it's a unique monster here, a kind of manbearpig :p

11. sinister

sinister Active Member

I liked the first hour and the standard "lost in the woods" stuff , nothing new but it was quite well done. For me it got a bit silly and too unbelievable with the "reveal" of what was going on, but the ending was good after it going downhill for the previous half hour. Worth a watch if you're not expecting too much.

12. Mutilated Prey

A little too "Nanee Nanee Boo Boo" for me. Get back in there and finish it off :)

Yeah, it certainly kept reverting to that scene quite a bit, and I too thought there was going to be some sort of
    "all in your head" thing.

Glad it didn't.

13. Mutilated Prey

Haha - I thought the same thing.

MooseManTree