The Roommates / A Woman For All Men Blu-ray (Gorgon Video)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Mar 30, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

So, WTF guys?

I about fell out of my chair today when I was surfing the net and spotted a blu-ray / DVD combo pack double feature of The Roommates and A Woman For All Men, two 70s exploitation proto-slashers from Arthur Marks. And The Roommates is even a summer camp set proto-slasher to boot!

[​IMG]

I was even more shocked to find out that it was released a week ago! How could we let this one slip completely under-the-radar? Gorgon also has a double-feature blu-ray of The Centerfold Girls and Bonnie's Kids on the way in June, but I was already aware of that one. I think Kat even posted it here somewhere.

But seriously, c'mon, guys! You are supposed to keep me updated about things like this. Stop slacking off! ;)

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I was ready to give up on Roommates until someone pointed out the real fun starts at the 40 minute mark. Before that, the film is just a goofy 70's college comedy with a funky 60's soundtrack. I have no idea what to expect from the second feature but I'm guessing more goofiness.

3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I thought about mentioning it here because of the slasher elements in the second half but I assumed most here at HorrorDigital wouldn't make it through the first 30 minutes. I almost didn't. I'm kinda fascinated to find out where Marks' inspiration for the slasher stuff comes from considering this was made before Black Christmas. I wonder if he saw TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE or if it just comes from PSYCHO. I got a kick out how the back half the film alternates between hippie goof-fest and A BAY OF BLOOD.

If you go in expecting THE CENTERFOLD GIRLS or BONNIE'S KIDS you'll end up disappointed. The slasher stuff is a minor sub-plot that sets up a thrilling finale. You could make a alternate cut removing all the kills and the film would still be coherent and at least 75 minutes long. Exploitation fans going in with low expectations should find something to like.

The Blu-ray looks damn good. I wasn't blown away by the detail but the colorful 70's fashions really pop. The print is surprisingly clean as well.

So you enjoyed THE ROOMMATES Luis? What did you think of Marki Bey? She's great in SUGAR HILL but her characters in CLASS OF '74 and THE ROOMMATES have worn me out. To much preachy hippie crap for my tastes.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, I posted it in the Centerfold Girls thread.

I received "The Roommates / A Woman For All Men" Blu-ray last Tuesday. Beautiful transfers on both films, neither of which I had ever seen before, but this was a great blind buy. I didn't know there was any interest here for these...at least until I'd actually watched them. :eek1:

I do own the old DVD's of The Centerfold Girls & Bonnie's Kids, so hopefully those will get such nice transfers on the upcoming Blu release.

5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Couldn't take my eyes off of her :D

She talked like she was auditioning, except she kept that up the entire time. Was that her first role? Or maybe women really talked like that in the 70's :p

6. CPT HOOK

7. CPT HOOK

I received this a few days ago and watched it the other night.

I loved The Roommates! Loved! It was like Sleepaway Camp by way of The Pom Pom Girls. As mentioned above, the genre elements don't come into play until halfway through the movie, but even before that it's still an extremely enjoyable lite '70s romp. I was having fun the whole way through. Actually, there's really only four scenes in the movie that would constitute it as a slasher film, but they all pack quite a punch. The tonal shifts are quite jarring, but it worked. This is definitely a movie slasher fans should seek out, it's great fun and worth the price of the disc alone.

Marki Bey was mentioned above, but the one I couldn't take my eyes off of is Laurie Rose. Beautiful girl! It looks like she did quite a few exploitation films throughout the early '70s that I'll have to seek out. Apparently she left acting to pursue her passion: belly dancing! All five of the girls are stunning, it makes the movie even easier to watch.

I wasn't that into A Woman For All Men. It was an okay watch, but probably not something I'd revisit. It also isn't a genre film. It's a melodrama about a family squabbling over an inheritance (and the guy isn't even dead yet). It does eventually lead to murder and a few twists, but none of it was that engaging. A very young Andrew Robinson stars as one of the sons. After The Roommates, I was hoping this would be like the slutty cousin of Home For The Holidays or Bay Of Blood, but unfortunately it didn't pay off. Still, I don't regret watching it, it was basically a bonus feature.

Each movie has a ten minute featurette with Arthur Marks. He's joined by Roberta Collins on The Roommates (who died of a drug overdose shortly after this interview) and by Judy Brown on A Woman For All Men. Judy Brown hasn't aged a day! She still looks the same as she did in the movie over 30 years ago (I'm thinking this interview was circa 2007). There's also a commentary on The Roommates.

I absolutely loved this release, and would highly recommend it for The Roommates alone. I'd almost say Gorgon should have paired The Roommates with The Centerfold Girls and A Woman For All Men with Bonnie's Kids, but I guess they wanted to keep the Tiffany Bolling films together.

[​IMG]

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Laurie Rose caught my eye around 2010 when I saw the trailer for THE ABDUCTORS. Since then I have been making a conscious effort to track down the films she appeared in. She is adorable. I'd love to see THE WOMAN HUNT and BLOOD VOYAGE get a quality release.

9. CPT HOOK

This is the first film of hers that I've seen, unless you count her belly dancer appearance in Waxwork II. I definitely plan on checking out the rest of her '70s films.

I will be picking up Vinegar Syndrome's The Suckers / The Love Garden ASAP. Looks like Code Red has The Working Girls and is selling the DVD for obscene prices. I'd also like to check out Arthur Mark's Class Of '74, which Code Red also has for obscene prices. :(

10. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I suppose this is region locked as it's from Dark Sky/Gorgon, gutted I've been region free since 2009 and my US player just expired :p

Really want this and Long Weekend, gonna be a while till I can afford another US or RF player-Gah!

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

CLASS OF '74 is THE ROOOMMATES but without the slasher stuff. It's 80 minutes of 70's Women's lib sassiness. I hated it.

THE SUCKERS is super sleazy. I enjoyed it quite a bit. THE ABDUCTORS would be enjoyable if it had a better release.

Don't sleep on POLICEWOMEN. Laurie has a secondary role as a henchwoman but the film is a riot.

Its a shame THE WORKING GIRLS is OOP. Its genuinely funny and consistently entertaining. The Code Red disc has a quality 12 minute interview with Laurie. She appears to be pleased with her acting career and touches on most of her films. It ends with 4 minutes of her belly dancing.

Laurie's website: Mesmera.com

12. okcray

okcray New Member

CLASS OF '74 and THE ROOMMATES are definitely products of their time. Marki Bey and Pat Woodell appear in both, and although they also play characters named Carla and Heather respectively, there seems to be no continuity between the characters from one movie to the next. Woodell's character in particular is radically different and for some reason she sports a weird blonde wig in CLASS OF '74. The other female leads in '74 are Sondra Currie (from POLICEWOMEN) and Barbara Caron (a/k/a Barbara Mills). Like Crikan mentioned, this is mostly a story revolving around three liberated college coeds showing a new and inexperienced classmate named Gabriella how to let go of her inhibitions. Slasher fans will not find much to enjoy here, but it is an entertaining film in its own right. The movie actually incorporates bits and pieces of earlier grindhouse flick GABRIELLA, GABRIELLA (starring Caron) to establish the new girl's backstory. By the end of the movie, she is passing what she has learned on to a new girl named Susan (I'm thinking this is Christina Hart in an uncredited part, but I'm not sure). The Code Red DVD includes a disclaimer due to the original negatives from the first reel being unavailable and having to use an alternate film source for the first 9 or 10 minutes (lots of scratches and film wear), but the remainder of the film looks good. The DVD also includes the full original feature of GABRIELLA, GABRIELLA, which is an experience in and of itself.

13. CPT HOOK

R.I.P. Pat Woodell

She passed away a few weeks ago on September 29th, but the news just seems to be breaking now.

She was best known for her role on Petticoat Junction, but genre fans probably best know her from her exploitation roles in The Big Doll House, as well as her Arthur Marks films. I did not realize The Roommates had been her last feature film.