The Sadist Blu-ray from Johnny Legend

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Apr 25, 2010.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

http://insomniacentertainment.com/2010/04/20/johnny-legend-unleashes-the-sadist-on-blu-ray/

Certainly came from out of the blu, so to speak. But what's even more promising is that Johnny Legend posted over at Blu-ray.com[/quote] saying that he's looking at doing House on Haunted Hill and some Tod Slaughters. I'd certainly be interested in those.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Awesome news! The Sadist is a great not-too-well-known gem. I will gladly upgrade my VHS. So when's the release date for this?

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I wasn't expecting this to come out on Hi def anytime soon. This is good news.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Eh, Johnny Legend as a label has never inspired much confidence. Wait for the reviews to come in before you get this one.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ I would advise reading some trusted reviews first as well.

It's currently available from Legend on Amazon and eBay.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I agree. Johnny Legend has had some shady releases in the past.

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was never aware that there was a Johnny Legend Blu-ray. I had the Raunchy Tonk special edition DVD (which has a rather eccentric intro by JL himself) and was excited when Code Red announced a Blu-ray release (under the title Sweet Baby Charlie). And the Code Red Blu-ray (struck from the original, long thought to be lost, negatives) is a thing of beauty. Hair-fine detail, natural-looking textures. There is an obvious example of frame damage near the end end of the movie, but this sort of imperfection is authentic to the source, and - unlike scanner noise and compression artifacts - doesn't bother me at all. The audio side is equally strong. The dialogue comes clearly across. The only thing I found myself missing was the original theatrical trailer - I'm a bit of a trailer nut.

As for The Sadist - I loved it when I first saw it, and I love it even more in HD. It really is ahead of its time by projecting a horror story from the headlines onto the screen. Even Psycho doesn't have that kind of raw verisimilitude. Arch Hall Jr. is brilliant as the Charles Starkweather-type psycho - with his constant smirk and broad, bulbous nose, he's oddly cute, but the same time, he's entirely menacing. It's quite fitting as many psychopaths are said to be charming.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    MorallySound likes this.