The Sadness (2021) - Gory Taiwanese horror

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Steel76, May 17, 2022.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

So, you want some über violence and splatter?
    Check this out :D

It's not a Zombie movie. It's more like The Crazies.
    These mutated maniacs, murders, rapes and mutilates everything in their path.
    One of the goriest movies I've seen in a while.

Good fun :D

sinister and russweiss like this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Gonna watch it soon. My friend cones to visit in a week and a half, a perfect beer movie me feels.

It's on Shudder here in the UK. I presume it's also available on the platform in other countries.

People after a physical release, it's been released on Blu Ray and 4K UHD in Germany.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I actually just watched this too and was considering a post. Mainly interesting in that it's a Taiwanese film. Prior to The Sadness I believe I had only seen martial arts film from this country.

The film certainly had a lot of violence and most of it was practical rather than CGI. Worth watching but I don't think it has repeat value.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just wanted to correct you here, but most films from Taiwan are of the arthouse variety, and usually pretty boring. They really don't make martial arts films, with the exception of Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but that's really not a Taiwanese film per se. More of a mainland China film, with a Taiwanese director. I'll be watching this soon, as I usually avoid films from the island, and this is one of the few that's piqued my interest.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Some of us were chatting about it in the SHUDDER thread: http://horrordvds.com/community/threads/horror-streaming-screambox-vs-shudder-etc.47269/page-11

It was okay. Extremely bloody, but I surprisingly didn't find it that disturbing or gross, and I'm someone who gets easily grossed out. The zombies/infected constantly talking about their erections or calling people fat sluts kind of undermined any tension or suspense the movie was trying to create. There are some effective bits though, and it's certainly not a bad streaming-service watch.

6. russweiss

When I Googled Taiwanese films, titles such as Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen came up. These are the martial arts films which I was referring to.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

oh yeah, those. But they're still pretty slow, weren't they? Not the same as mainland China or Hong Kong films.

8. russweiss

I'm a big fan of Asian film in general. I collect movies as well as posters, magazines, and lobby cards. In the 90's I made regular treks to Los Angeles to see Hong Kong films in the theater and even flew to San Francisco once to check out their Asian theaters. I've always enjoyed martial arts films going back to Kung Fu theater which used to play each Saturday when I was a teenager. The films were pan and scan English dubs but they played a lot of Shaw Brothers films. My preference for these types of films is from the late 70's through the mid 90's. Lately I've found Korean cinema the most entertaining and Netflix and Prime have lots of Korean series available to view as well.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Sorry man, I talked down to you a bit there. My bad, totally. I just get so used to people who assume "Asian film" = "martial arts film", and have no idea about the three separate regions of China (if they can even tell the difference between a Chinese film, a Japanese film, or a Korean film).

But yeah, really, most Taiwanese movies are boring as hell.

russweiss likes this.
  10. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I must be getting old because I kept on thinking "What is the point of all this gore?!" That being said the gore was done very well and the film held my interest throughout, so I'll give it a thumbs up.

russweiss likes this.