The Shape of Water (2017, New Del Toro)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Jul 19, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Wasn't that nice of Natalie Portman basically belittling the win by taking a dig with her "All male directors" comment ?

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Didn't belittle the win in anyway... It was a bit of an uneven batch of nominees especially when there were some better women-directed American films this year than at least 2, maybe even 3, of the male nominees on that list so it's a fair dig. Good on her for pointing out the honest truth in an industry that's still not an even playing field (Gerwig, Jenkins, Betts, and/or Coppola should have easily replaced at least both Scott and Spielberg as far as the director nominations go in my opinion).

Workshed likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I agree. That was definitely the on-going theme of the night, but that was really the only one that came off as... shitty?

I remember Del Toro on a podcast, talking about how they keep saying "these white male" directors about the nominations, and him being like "but I'm Mexican!"

However, in Portman's defense, Spielberg and Scott's nominations pretty much prove her point. They were nominated based on who they are rather than what they accomplished this year. I'm shocked those were picked over Luca Guadagnino's Call Me By Your Name. Also, I'm far more impressed by Jordan Peele, Greta Gerwig, and Sean Baker's ability to make such skillfully-crafted movies without unlimited resources at their disposal.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There are lots of Mexicans that are essentially Spaniards born within the borders of Mexico. If a Spaniard is born South of the border he's Mexican and therefore brown. If a Spaniard is born in United States he suddenly has white privilege? That's taking the one drop rule to its extremes. But that's the way it is. For some reason Mexicans don't count as Native Americans either which is kinda odd when you think of it.

And Portman can grumble a bit more because she has directed a film. And that was almost certainly no cake walk to get the money people to agree to that.

It hadn't occurred to me until now, but Aronofsky got snubbed for mother! then too over Spielberg and Scott; I didn't even know either had movies out this past year.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Maybe Portman's comment would have been less off-putting if Spielberg or Scott had won? But they cut immediately to Del Toro with a deer-in-headlights look, as though he was ashamed to be nominated after that remark. I felt kind of bad for the guy.

The irony being that Del Toro's film pretty much mirrors what is going on in the world, including the #timesup movement (narcissistic sociopath on a power trip, tormenting and demeaning those he considers beneath him, and having influence over their lives he has no business having). It really couldn't be more timely. That's probably why I thought it looked poorly on Portman.

baggio likes this.
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

mother! was probably too polarizing to merit serious consideration.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

For me, I'm sick of all the political Bullshit with all these ceremonies now, and I can't watch them anymore, allways someone moaning about something, I miss the days when the presenter cracked a few lighthearted jokes and the recipients was happy and thanked their peirs.

RJ Fielder, baggio, Colin and 4 others like this.
  8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yes, by all means, let's make sure the men in Hollywood feel comfortable.

Portman is over it. Good for her. Keeping quiet is not the answer. It's going to take a lot more of this type of forthright speech before it gets better.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    wago70 and MorallySound like this.
  9. sade

sade Active Member

I wish I could see Portman's reaction if someone mentioned about how jews control pretty much every aspect of the Hollywood machine. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's a fact!

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Since that’s not an original statement, I’m sure she’s heard it before.

11. zbinks

That's primarily Jewish men, though.

12. sade

sade Active Member

I see your point. Then again until all race/creed/gender get their fare share you will always hear somebody complaining about inequality in that industry.

13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Hollywood just loves patting themselves on the back, no matter the cause. Right now it's the sexual assault mudslide.....

They'll all so brave lol can't even finish typing that with a straight face

14. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

That sounds nasty.

Natas and zbinks like this.
  15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I saw this a few weeks back and forgot I wanted to post something about it.

It really is quite good. I don't think it holds up to Del Toro's Mexican/Spanish films, but it's definitely up there. The imagery and lighting is gorgeous. It continues his Bava-esque experiments from Crimson Peak. The Sally Hawkins is fantastic in a challenging and complex performance that draws on the charms of Amelie in the beginning (as does the whole film, really) and then turns into something really impressive by the end. The story is definitely original, though I did wish it had more surprises to it. It's pretty easy to guess where everything is going to go. But, it's told with so much charm, imagination, spirit, and, most importantly, commitment that it is still an incredibly enjoyable watch.

Sorry to derail the conversation. You can all go back to bashing liberals and the Elders of Zion. :)

russweiss and Workshed like this.
  16. zbinks

'The Shape of Water' leads Oscar nominees with 13 nods

1. Best Picture
    2. Lead Actress: Sally Hawkins
    3. Supporting Actor: Richard Jenkins
    4. Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
    5. Director: Guillermo del Toro
    6. Original Screenplay: Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor
    7. Cinematography: Dan Laustsen
    8. Film Editing: Sidney Wolinsky
    9. Sound Editing: Nathan Robitaille
    10. Sound Mixing: Glen Gauthier, Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern
    11. Production Design
    12. Original Score: Alexandre Desplat
    13. Costume Design

RJ Fielder and Workshed like this.
  17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

It's yet another beautiful Del Toro package wrapped around a tired, basic plot. Really, there are no surprises to this film. There is a clear villain from the start, who remains the villain until the very end. The damaged woman finds love in the "beast," and in the end,
    love triumphs

Again, it's a pleasure to watch this film, but I grew restless about mid-way through when I realized I'd seen this story before numerous times.

When the beast stands in awe before the mighty cinema, I knew this would win an Oscar.

sade likes this.
  19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I think it's good celebs are being political. It shows they are awake and paying attention to something. Sadly, people just don't like people talking and celebs are the first to get the deaf ear turned to them.
    As for The Shape of Water. I haven't seen it yet and can't wait but damn, why do the actors blue/green clothes have to match their blue/green highlighted skin and hair which matches the blue/green background which matches the murky green water...

Workshed likes this.