The Shining

Discussion in 'General' started by ReNeGaDe, Jan 28, 2002.

1. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

Are they gonna remaster this dvd.. cuz from what i hear it doesnt look 2 good...

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

They already remastered it last year, and it looks amazing. Very sharp for a 1980's picture. The opening plane tracking shot has phenomenal colour depth and quite frankly looks like a brand new film. Warner Brothers also remastered the excellent Vivian Kubrick documentary also included with the film, as well as included a commentary track by Vivian on the documentary. Of all Kubrick films, this is definitely my favorite disc (Strangelove comes close). I highly recommend this disc! :)

3. KillerQ

KillerQ Guest

Soo...

Does this Shinning DVD have a different case than the white cardboard one that has been out for years?

Thanks,

Matt

4. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

It has the same cover, but there is a blue bar across the top that says something to the effect of it being a remastered version. I have not seen the old release anywhere anymore, so I'm pretty sure you'll find this one no problem.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Around my city there are still lots of the older Kubrick DVD's floating around, so be careful. Like Tobal said, just look at the top of the DVD cover, and under the "Stanley Kubrick Collection" border, it will say in a white strip "Digitally Restored and Remastered". The old ones are the same other than the white stip at the top.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So I recently got The Shining on 4k and got to watch it last night. It looked damn beautiful and was quite nice to see looking this good. My only complaint is that it's the long American version that runs about 30 minutes longer than the international cut which makes the film quite a chore to get through sadly. I don't understand why both versions weren't included here but I'm hoping in the future the international cut will get a 4k release too.

What are your thoughts on these two cuts guys? Anyone else prefer the shorter cut?

Myron Breck likes this.
  7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Honestly, I had no idea that there was such a truncated version. I'd be interested in seeing it but, as you mentioned, I'd have to have both versions. I'm sure it'll get yet another 4K release in the next few years, with both cuts.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Did they manage to fix the color issues?

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It was actually edited down by Kubrick himself after its initial release in the US to release internationally. I've heard it was actually his preferred version but I don't know how much truth there is to that. After seeing the longer version it wouldn't surprise me as a lot of the unnecessary fluff has been removed and it runs more smoothly.
    What were the colour issues?

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep it's the International Cut and the default version released on formats over the rest of the globe just as the US cut is the only version seen in North America. I haven't seen it but it has its fans if only because it's the most well known version outside NA. I would anticipate Warner putting it out since it has been long established internationally as the only cut but since the window is closing with Doctor Sleep hitting home video it's hard to say when that'll be.

The Blu-ray for the most part looks normal but had some weird color corrections, notoriously the pink ball and cars while Danny is playing on the carpet: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film7/blu-ray_reviews_94/the_shining_4K_UHD.htm

Never heard an explanation of what caused it but I imagine it was unintentional.

It is not present on the latest transfer on UHD.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Myron Breck, Zombie Dude and maybrick like this.