The Shrine

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, May 29, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Was surprised there wasn't already a thread for this. I Netflix'd it after seeing the very positive review it got on DVDtalk.com, and found it quite enjoyable. I was worried it was a Hostel rip-off at first, with the theme of missing American tourists in Eastern Europe, but thankfully it's nothing like that at all (even though I do like Hostel a bit). No, this one deals with bizarre rituals, and features a nice little twist late in the film. I'm purposely being vague, but I do recommend the film. Especially for those in the "horror is dead" crowd that thinks the last good horror film came out in like 1984 or something. There's good movies being made all the time. You just gotta find 'em.

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

A saw this a few months ago on Netflix streaming. I was very pleased with it as well ! Definitely not a boring film, and it does have a cool payoff.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw it a few months ago on Netflix as well. Nothing amazing, but surprisingly decent. I really liked the twist at the end.

4. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

One of my favorite discoveries this year. I found it on netfilix and gave it a shot without knowing anything about it in advance.

5. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check it out.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I saw this a few months back too. Really enjoyed it. It's from the guys who did Jack Brooks Monster Slayer and they didn't disappoint. :)

7. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I really didn't care for Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (too much build-up, too little monster slaying) but I thought The Shrine was fantastic. It's definitely one of my favorite horror flicks this year. There's one scene that's incredibly creepy (in the fog) and the ending really delivers. Highly recommended!

8. unclefred

unclefred Member

It was better than I expected. Pretty good for the budget.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this a few months back but I don't remember it doing too much for me.

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I thought at first I must have watched a different movie called The Shrine but it's the same. What a terrible, slow, boring film. What twist ending???? I won't give it away but there wasn't really any twist in my opinion. It's been a while since I watched a film where I really wished that every character would simply die. They just kept doing things that no normal/sane person would do. Oh well, I'm glad some others found entertainment value in this but I'm sure a majority would find this on par with the average sci-fi channel flick. Be Warned!

11. Zombie Dude

Really? You thought the characters did things no normal person would do. The lead was annoying with how selfish she was but they were all just normally curious. The moral of the story here is basically "curiosity killed the cat". Oh and don't forget the male character that was very smart ;)

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well the twist that you seemed to have missed is that
    the seeming villains of the first part of the movie, the crazed villagers with the bizarre rituals are actually trying to SAVE the protagonists from becoming demons.
    Can't say I saw that coming. The movie does take a little time to get going, but isn't that the hallmark of so many classic horror films? Most (though certainly not all) of the great horror movies begin slow, establish the mood and the setting, and lull you in until you're trapped like the protagonists.

Not that The Shrine is a "classic" horror film, it's far from it. But I like seeing something new, not always having to go back to a movie I've seen a million times if I want to watch an enjoyable horror film. Something different like this is a nice change of pace.

13. JIMX1975

JIMX1975 Member

Watched it last night after hearing about it on here. I liked it.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

It played at our local film fest a couple years ago, the consensus from the group was that it was pretty terrible. Haven't given it much mind since, but I too remember being frustrated with how unlikable the characters were and how unmotivated and boneheaded all their choices were. There were a few good bits with the fog during the first half before it got dark, but the second half of the film was a dark grimy mess that, at least on our print, we couldn't make much out of. The twist was alright, but at that point I was so done with these characters that I couldn't care.

15. Zombie Dude

It was definitely your print that was dark. I never had trouble making anything out in this one.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

As a film festival projectionist, I find this interesting, and unfortunately a common occurence. For one thing, are you even certain it was a print? A lot of low-budget stuff never goes to 35mm. For film festivals, they might be shown on Digibeta tapes, or sometimes even DVD. If the film festival is at a theater that usually only shows 35mm, all they might do is rent a video projector that is about the same level you get at Best Buy. In other words, it's not uncommon for a video presentation at a film festival to be total ass.

Luckily, as digital presentation is becoming the norm at most theaters now, they're finally investing in good video projectors. And festivals are showing on nothing less than HDCAM or DCP. The mid 2000s were a dark time (pun intended) for film festivals as the move from film to digital happened.

That all said, yeah, you should check out The Shrine on the released DVD (is there a Blu yet?)

17. Luki

Luki New Member

Arrow released it on Blu in the UK about two months ago.

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just watched this and did enjoy it as soon as it got going. The "twist" was cool too. The first half was a little rough though I thought. Character development, acting and slow pacing had me a little concerned, but the second half makes up for it.

19. killit

killit Active Member

Love this one

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Cool, gonna check it out!