The Sinbad Trilogy Ray Harryhausen coming from Indicator (UK)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by satans-sadists, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm keeping my pre-order up as well. It's worth it at least for the 4k 7th remaster, the book and the new extras.

I'm not convinced based on the discussions I've read, as nobody appears to actually have the set in their hands yet. The Blu-ray.com forum loves to jump to premature conclusions, as evidenced by The Paul Naschy Collection and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage recent releases.

satans-sadists likes this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Is the problem in some of these cases - people flipping out over just screenshots? The video quality can often look better when in motion. Plenty of examples we've seen already.

Katatonia likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Yes, apparently people are judging and extrapolating simply by the Caps-a-holic screen comparisons.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I thought from the screen shots seen that the indicator release looks better. For all the moaners just be thankful you have multiple versions to choose from instead of none at all.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Shipment confirmation today. July 11th should arrive. (kept my pre order obviously)

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Katatonia likes this.
  7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Wow, received my Indicator Sinbad Trilogy today. That's 11 days early, if I'm going by the email confirmation from Amazon.UK

9. Katatonia

Yep, that's very fast if it was sent by the slow/cheapest shipping option. According to the UPS tracking number they gave me, my set should be here on July 5th.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Never seen these films before but I've wanted to check them out for a while now (as well as Jason and the Arganorts). This set seems like it's still maybe a little pricey for a blind buy but I'm tempted. If I could get it for around $50 AUD then I'd likely grab it. Recomendations from those here more familiar with the films?

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

baggio likes this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

They're not for all tastes, and nostalgia is definitely part of my affinity for these films. That said, if you enjoy golden era adventure in the old-fashioned serial style, I'd say they're essential viewing. Did you find anything to enjoy in the original Clash of the Titans? I think the Sinbad films are superior, but their charms are similar--awesome Harryhausen monsters, broad performances, and some smoking-hot heroines (Caroline Munro and Jane Seymour look particularly spectacular). Others may feel differently, but, for me, these films are probably the best examples of pure cinematic entertainment.

It's a cliched expression, but they really don't make 'em like this anymore. Most modern effects seem to lack the soul imparted by all of the sweat and blood required for Dynamation. I really love this stuff, and I think that Harryhausen did his most impressive work on this series and Jason and the Argonauts. If you enjoy old-school effects, you'd definitely have a great time with these flicks. I also respond strongly to the refreshing lack of cynicism in the Sinbad series. They take their ludicrous premises seriously, and it vastly increases the odds that you can suspend disbelief and run with these stories. Every frame of these flicks exudes the kind of passion that's lacking in all of the creatively bankrupt cash grabs we get today.

I don't know if I talked you into giving them a try, but I talked myself into biting the bullet. I've been waiting for a substantial price drop at Amazon UK, but I just said "screw it" and checked out. I'm really excited to revisit these films in hi-def.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

But then nobody made them like Ray Harryhausen. He was a rare bird, even for the era, because here you have a special effects man driving a lot of the story and production design decisions. He would story board a whole movie, sell it to a producer (who would hire writers/directors), stay on set a lot to coach in order to match the style to what he will do SFX wise, and then do all the SFX almost single handedly. Despite the rotation of producers, writers, directors and actors all these films have a very similar look and feel to them.

There's an undeniable magic to them.

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen these in over 20 years, so I need to give this a spin.

My favorite of Ray's films are still Jason and the Argonauts. The scene with the skeletons, are still impressive today.

I think Clash of the Titan, is the worst of them.
    Love the Medusa scene, which has some of the best stop-motion ever put on film.
    But the rest of the movie was pretty mediocre, and the optical FX looked really out of date, when compared to Empire Strikes Back, Superman, Dragonslayer, and other sci-fi/fantasy films from the same era.

I wish that he had continued through the 80:s.
    But at the time, Phil Tippett took over the torch.

Imagine, if Harryhausen got to do stop motion FX in the 1976 version of King Kong.
    Could have looked so much more spectacular, compared to the "man in suit" FX.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think Ray Harryhausen must have seen the writing on the walls. As you said, Clash of the Titans was not at the same level as other SFX heavy films at the time. It wasn't even Harryhausen's best work overall (through for the first and last time he had assistance from other young animators would were probably the weaker links), but the Medusa scene was a nice mic drop from the maestro. He wasn't going to take the leap to computer operated cameras and other advancements used in Empire/Robocop/Terminator/etc. And it was a small window until Jurassic Park where Phil Tippett advanced himself out of a stop motion job.

A Harryhausen King Kong would have been a treat, but I doubt he could be as rough and tumble as the original and so perhaps would have been as much of a disappointment as Rick Baker's in the end. But who knows, he certainly hadn't disappointed before. He might have gone grittier to serve the image as he was a huge fan of the original.

Clash of the Titans is a minor miracle. It was probably the biggest budget Harryhausen ever worked with and still maintained a lot of control for what was more of a studio film. That the Hollywood establishment would throw him a bone like that says something of the respect he had in the industry.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've seen clips from a lot of Harryhausen's work before and it's always fascinated me with its magical charm. I've always loved stop motion and his is the best I've seen. I've just never had a chance to track his films down and always wondered if the embodying film was/is as good and entertaining as his effects work. I might even track them down online first before committing to a purchase but by the sounds of it they sound like they're worth owning. I do like a good old school film (like King Kong for example).

18. Katatonia

I received my set earlier. One of the included DVD discs was loose inside a case and did get scratched slightly. No big deal really, since at least the box and packaging arrived perfect.

#2501 of 6,000

19. Katatonia

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost