The Sinbad Trilogy Ray Harryhausen coming from Indicator (UK)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by satans-sadists, Apr 11, 2017.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I did not read the review but my guess would be the overall score is based on how entertaining the film is and not the audio/visual quality of the release.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Probably so... they add the 3.5 Movie score to the aggregate. A reviewer can add anything for their "Overall" score though, so the math doesn't really have to add up on there.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I figured. It often seems that the reviews on Blu-ray.com are written by people who generally dislike older films.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

My Indicator set finally arrived. Needless to say, I was anxious to check out Eye of the Tiger due to all the bitching at blu-ray.com.

The conversation there has a delirious tone, so here are some more grounded observations. I can understand why some people are questioning whether or not this is the newest available scan. As soon as I pressed play, it become extremely apparent that the print is dirty--and it's clear that minimal or zero digital clean-up was done. This dirt and white speckling seems to be the cause of all the convulsions at br.com, since there is reportedly a cleaner scan in circulation. But, here's the thing. The actual resolution of the other blu-ray releases doesn't seem any better, which can easily be confirmed by looking at the screencaps at caps-a-holic:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=2203

To my eyes, the Indicator release shows more grain and detail than either of the other 2 blu releases, as well as stronger colors. Compared to the dated US DVD release, it's revelatory, and quite pleasing in motion. So, aside from the lack of digital clean-up, is there anything really WRONG with the Indicator transfer? In terms of major flaws, I'm going with "no"--but it definitely shows evidence of digital sharpening. It's evident in the grain structure, which sometimes shows digital noise. Other than that, I don't see much to whine about. Most dated transfers show egregious DNR and contrast boosting, but I'm not seeing either of them here. I'm also not seeing the edge halos you normally get with excessive edge enhancement, so maybe the digital sharpening isn't so bad, either.

Will I send in for a replacement disc if one is issued? Of coure. But should the transfer of Eye of the Tiger stop anyone from buying this set? I don't think so.

m@ggot and gobad2003 like this.
  5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

For those who haven't heard, people on the blu-ray.com forums are saying that they've received email responses from Indicator assuring on-going communications with Sony (regarding Eye of the Tiger) and an announcement soon. It certainly sounds like a corrected disc will be issued.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Finally watched through these and can say they're not for me. The first film did have the most enjoyable effects and I would probably say was my favorite out of them.