The Slasher Genre...(wtf is going on?)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Okay the weirdest thing happened yesterday. I was in HMV and saw Final Exam for $16.99. Now I've always wanted to see this, so I jumped at the chance and picked it up completely on impulse. Got home, popped it in, and honestly...I could barely sit through it. I mean, I used to LOVE slasher movies and I know that as of lately I'd been drifting away from the genre but this was ridiculous. I had no patience with the movie and honestly, right now I think it's one of the most boring movies I've ever seen, but it still wasn't THAT bad. I just couldn't sit through it. I don't know what happened.

I can still sit through Prom Night (which is a HELL of a lot like Final Exam) and Curtains and slashers like that. (Ones I've seen before.) But I don't know, it's like I just can't see any of these '80s era slashers for the first time anymore. I can't even completely explain it. It's weird, I can still sit through a cheesefest like Slaughter High but I can't sit through something like The Boogens (which I tried to watch for the first time a couple weeks ago.) Maybe it was because I had seen some of those others back when I really REALLY loved slashers, but now I don't know what the fuck it is. I'm so put-off by them now. I mean, is it possible that I had a slasher overload and am now sick of them? I don't know. It's weird.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

~Matt

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Sometimes there are movies (slashers for example) that you see at an influential age or time your life. Sometimes those movies are the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time, but when you watch them 20 years later you'll either be like "wtf was I thinking?" or "Awesome - I remember this!". Now, just because you're saying the latter doesn't necessarilly mean that it's a great movie - it could could mean that you're reliving an experience that made you happy/excited/whatever back in the day.

Now, as for Final Exam, it is definitely not one of the greatest early slashers by any means. I didn't see this movie until recently myself, and I'm kind of partial towards it. It has all the basic elements that we love so much, but it just doesn't have the zip of say a Friday the 13th, Prowler, Burning or whatever you consider to be choice (Prom Night). The gore is very minimal as well, so since there's no "zip" per say it might leave one feeling dejected. Now, if I, or you, had seen this movie when we were kids there's a definite chance we would have a greater attitude/love for it today.

I think movies like The Prey is another example. If I saw that flick for the first time today I might kinda be like - "wtf was that? a national geographic special?" But then again, I probably wouldn't because I have a soft spot for deformed maniacs in the woods, but you see my point :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Matt, I understand what you're saying...it's just not happening to me. In the past few years I've been snapping up period slashers like there's no end in sight. Plenty of them I've only seen on DVD for the first time. When I was younger I didn't rent as many of the cheapie films, and as I grew into my teens, twenties, and now thirties I seek them all out. I'm in a very nostalgic phase, and a bad '80s slasher that I've never seen is usually really appealing. :lol:

Maybe you're just at a juncture where you're seeking a different genre or, maybe "slasher" is just too routine for you now. Maybe you'll love it again, or maybe not.

PS, I've been asking them at my HMV for Final Exam for the past few weeks and they keep saying they're due any day. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Guess I should have ordered it online after all.

4. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Final Exam is a bad really bad slasher. I myself like it allot and I do mean that. However I have shown it to a few friends & they were bored to tears. Its the kind of movie that you really love or just flat out hate!

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I think Mutilated Prey is on to something.If you grew up with some of these older films they had a chance to win you over at an early age.Catching up to some of the lesser films now,seeing them for the first time,it's natural that you might be more critical of a weak plot,stiff performances,slack direction or poor effects.Your seeing these defects as an adult,not as an impressionable kid.Also keep in mind that when you were seeing these pics back in the 80's you hadn't seen nearly as many of them as you have seen now,20 plus years later.Some of these films might have seemed fresher had you seen them back then,now they might come off like microwaved leftovers.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I almost went that route with FRIDAY THE 13TH in the late '80's. When horror films started becoming more MTV-ish (Nightmare on Elm Street 4, ect.) or more action-packed (Pumpkinhead, Aliens, ect) I started to lose patience with any horror film pre-1984 that didn't have razzle-dazzle to them. I'm glad I got over it and it's those original films that remain dear to my black little heart.
    Keeping a movie fresh - constant viewing; usually is the best thing. Sometimes it's fun to revisit a classic from your formative years - but with the new way that movies are being shown, ect. (effects, sound, editing OVERLOAD), the old films take a beating in that way and they never seem as good as they once did to you back then. Maybe some are bad films, but they have a certain charm never replicated.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Matt89 - It may just be what you are watching though, I was bored as HELL at Final Exam when I first saw it a few years back - but occasionally I pick up a slasher I didn't know and am blown away... I just try to do a little research beforehand... but good ones you probably have not see ARE out there!

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I'm going through the same thing in general with the horror movie genre. I've tried to watch only obscure horror films this month in honor of Halloween and it's been hit and miss. I watched Night Of The Demon for the first time in about fifteen years and loved it. Last night I watched Day Of the Animals and was bored as heck. I guess when we discover horror films in our pre-teen years it endears us to them for a variety of reasons. I guess adolescence is a more innocent time of discovery and slasher film with its themes of drinking and promiscuity appeals to us. I know I probably enjoyed the 'tits and ass' content of many slasher films more than the actual films themselves. I guess as we get older we're exposed to a variety of films and the stuff we initially thought as great in retrospect is merely ok.
    I recently tried watching the Friday The 13th films and The Burning and found myself selling them off at a local dvd store for two bucks a piece. I've totally run out of patience for the genre, even though I still love the original Halloween and Psycho series.
    It's all a matter of personal taste I guess.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Matt89 - I know exactly what you mean. One slasher that I also find boring as hell is The Prowler. There are some great gore effects, thanks to Tom Savini, but like Final Exam was for you, the Prowler is for me..Snore City!!

10. Angelman

See.. that's why you never know... I love The Prowler, but it just depends on if it hits the right tone. I do think the ones I like that I see later in life remind me ,vaguely, of ones as I loved as a kid...

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Anthropophagus, that's EXACTLY my situation. I still love movies like Halloween, Carrie, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it's those cheapie cheeseball slashers that I USED to love for their cheesiness that I just can't take anymore. It's like I almost hate them. I'm contemplating whether to just sell Final Exam right now. I got rid of my Amityville Horror and Twisted Terror boxsets today. Got $30 for 'em. I'm getting Amityville on blu-ray (the special edition DVD had fucking garbage special features anyway) and well...I don't give a rat's ass about the sequels. Don't care about the movies in the Twisted Terror boxset anymore. I got NOES on blu-ray, got rid of the sequels. Popped them in and immediately was bored with them.

I went through my entire slasher movie collection (which is about 40 slashers) and decided which ones I'd watch again and which ones I wouldn't...there are about 15 slashers still left on my bookshelf. The rest I put in my closet. I'm contemplating whether I should sell them or not. Horror movies used to make up over half my movie collection. I now have about 350 movies and my horror collection makes up just under a third. And I have to admit, I know it's school that's done this to me. Changed my outlook on films entirely. Cinema Studies is my major now, and I honestly never thought I'd be watching (and enjoying) some of the movies I watch now.

Maybe it's because I know so much about horror movies (and thought I knew a lot about film in general) but turns out...I didn't. And because I already know so much about the horror genre, I think half the reason my taste in movies has changed is because I started to discover other genres, other styles, other types of films. It just blows my mind how drastically my taste in movies changed. I mean, I hadn't watched a slasher movie in a while. Not that I made a pact with myself, "I'm not gonna watch a slasher for at least a year". No. I was just so busy watching other types of movies that I hadn't watched an '80s slasher in the LONGEST time, so I jumped at the chance and bought Final Exam and was bored to death. Then I took a look at some others I had (Graduation Day, Mountaintop Motel Massacre, The Initiation) ones I'd enjoyed previously, but now can't stand.

Another thing, I had a bunch of original slasher movie inserts and one-sheets that I used to have displayed on my wall. Without really noticing it, I've slowly taken them down over the course of the past year, replacing them with posters of other movies. (I have a Double Indemnity poster where my Friday the 13th one was) And not until recently I discovered, "oh shit, I don't have any of those posters left on my wall." I'd been so caught up in other films (right now it's a lot of film noir, classical hollywood, european modernist films, etc) that I didn't really realize how much the horror genre had been slipping away from me.

I'm not saying, "oh well because I like other films and not cheesy horror movies means that I have better taste in films," no. It's just that I sit here shocked at how much my taste in movies has changed almost without me realizing it. (I always knew I had started to stray from horror, but not THIS much.) It just surprises me how much I've grown away from the genre, whereas it used to be my fucking LIFE lol.

~Matt

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, even in my slasher-movie days, I still thought The Prowler was a bit of a snooze-fest. Has some GREAT creepy moments and a genuinely creepy atmosphere to it, though. Funny enough, this is actually one of the slashers I'm still OK with. :confused:

~Matt

13. Angelman

I hear you - but try not to look at it as either/or. I have worked in the film business for 10 years and what made me want to do it was my love of horror. Now, over the last 10-15 years I have come to love every possible genre/director/style - silents, foriegn, drama, horror, arthouse, indie.... There are good and bad in all of them. But you know what? I'm still shocked that I can sit down with producers or directors or whoever and if they have been around long enough they still love those same horror films I love on a very pure level. A few years ago I was talking to a guy who had worked his way up to A list movies about his days working with Larry Cohen and he said, "I really need to call him, he's a great guy." Don't look at those films as bad, just different...

My humble opinion...

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

well, most Slashers are complete crap, lol! As they are just cheap copycats.

There are only a few good ones, all of them are classics.

15. Angelman

Is it wrong that I love them anyway?:)

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's true. Angelman, what's your line of work exactly? I mean, I'm studying film right now, hoping to eventually get a job somewhere in the film industry. I like the film history/theory aspect of it, which I'm studying right now, but eventually want to get into film production.

Funny, what REALLY made me want to get into film was when I started to discover different styles and genres other than horror LOL.

~Matt

17. Angelman

I work on the agent/management side of things. Think less "Ari Gold rolling with actors and screaming at people" side of things but more the calm, day-in, day-out production angle. My DVD shelf is everything from Bergman to Fulci to Chaplin. I find I go through phases but I really love horror and always come back to it. I'm suprised at how many people love horror here... it is a universal language in some ways.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well, film itself is THE universal language, I like to say. ;)

~Matt

19. Angelman

True!

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

But I have to ask...so who have you met in the industry? If you've met James Franco I'd be SO jealous. Definitely one of my fav actors alive today lol.

Only person I've met so far is Norman Jewison. Nice guy, too.

~Matt