The Slayer - thoughts & feelings.

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by BlazingMagnum, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Just watched the Vipco DVD of The Slayer (which was a transfer from the original messy VHS print) and I was stunned at just how cruddy this movie actually is. I haven't watched it in years & now I realise exactly why. Apart from the obvious pitchfork murder, the other kills are dreadful & utterly ridiculous (a clawed monster using fishing rods & trapdoors as murder weapons) - and in the case of the fisherman - where did he come from? The 4 central characters had to fly to an uninhabited & isolated island, and an un-noticed chatty fisherman is there doing his thing - for about 25 seconds until he gets finished off with a rowing oar.

The acting is appalling - especially Frederick Flynn, who 'mans it up' by making assertive decisions over his wife, & theorising about nonsense.
    When we do actually glimpse the monster (for about 3 seconds) it looks pretty good, but then the whole thing culminates in one of those dreadful looped endings. What a thoroughly incredible surprise. What a complete waste of an hour & a half.

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

So, you didn't like it?

3. Nah, not really.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought it was alright i found this about a month ago at a adult video store selling all of there non adult former rental tapes for 3 dollars

5. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I thought it had a nifty monster, and had a couple of creepy moments, but I also remember thinking that it was best in clip form on "Terror on Tape"

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's entertaining at times, but often it's just plain boring. The R2 Vipco DVD looks like crap.

7. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

I thought nothing really happened. Much to do about nothing.

8. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I must be the only guy that really enjoyed this film. It does nothing out of the ordinary in general, but the ordinary things it does are extraordinarily! I guess everyone has their guilty pleasure slasher that everyone else seems to hate and this one is mine.

It's odd that the film didn't have a cheesy synth score, I figured that was a prerequisite for a film like this. Terribly underused monster though, the makeup is fuckin' fab.

9. Woa – I wrote that Slayer post two & a half years ago! I must have been in a bad mood I guess.
    I think I was pissed off more because I really wanted to like this movie. Everything vibes like it’s going to be awesome, The box looked awesome, the title is awesome, the monster is fucking great – but the actors just drive me fucking crazy!
    There’s a couple of other movies like that – where everything is looking cool – but certain actors just make you want to wreck the place.

Mausoleum is one of those films. Awesome poster / box art, wicked title, loads of tits courtesy of Bobbie Bresee – always cool! Great fun bit-parts like the gardener dude – but that fucking guy - Marjoe Gortner just needs to be killed for shit acting. Each time I see him pop up in a movie he makes my shit itch – with his silly fucking perm, and his dumb fucking A-Team acting chops.
    Fuck that guy.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

In a nutshell. I wanted to like this flick, but it was all without consequence. One of those "is it a dream" cop outs that doesn't even come close to asking that question. I did do some dreaming during it though, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I liked this movie. The setting is great, and it has some nice gory kills. I also believe this is where the idea for Nightmare on Elm Street came from.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, at least something good came of this film then. :D

13. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I'll second that. He's especially ripe in "Earthquake" (1974)...He gets all juicy over nappy pubic hair-headed Victoria Principal.

14. Mutilated Prey

I agree with ya on Mausoleum. I remember seeing the box in the video store so many years ago, and being like "this has gotta be awesome!". Boy was I pissed after I watched it. However, I gave it a nother shot recently and enjoyed it a little bit :)

15. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

But... there's a scene where a shrieking young lady scrambles to smash a window while the killer methodically inches towards her, pitchfork in hand as the thunder crashes. By the time the window is smashed, she's immediately soaked by the tropical downpour and her white top becomes sheer and the film gives us a glimpse of the marvelous nipples just before the fork pierces right through her chest. That, my friend, is art. Like Andy Dufresne crawling through the river of shit to freedom, except without a trip to Mexico.

16. Mutilated Prey

There ya go old boo boo - Maybe we're the only two that like this flick.:cool:

17. Good movie, but the monster was a p.o.s. letdown.

18. Mutilated Prey

Really? I kinda liked him. I wish we saw more of him :)

19. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I have always liked this movie. I own the double feature vhs with Scalps.