The Sleeper (Trailer), Faux Lost 80s Slasher Flick

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Apr 5, 2011.

1. foller

foller Active Member

I only found the DVD at a second party seller at amazon.com but it does not ship internationally. Is there another retailer that offers this disc and international shipping?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The seller at Amazon is the studio themselves. They apparently do not ship outside of the US from their website store either.

The DVD is Region 1 locked, so they may be planning for overseas releases.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I got mine today, and they come packaged together. The DVD has its own case inside of the VHS case.

I snapped a few pics for you:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go to the movie's official webpage and contact them. I saw on the movie's facebook page that they sent one to the UK for someone who asked.

4. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Nice. Thanks for taking the time to snap the pics, I really appreciate it. Now I just have to wait till they get more in stock to place my order.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yea, I received mine in the mail today too...kinda disapointed. I was expecting something along the lines of the big box VHS packaging of The Basement...it's not. Its smaller, basically just a box to hold the tape and DVD case.

I hope I enjoy the flick, cause it already feels like I overpaid for the thing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

It will eventually become a cool little collectors item though.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

Despite what people will/are going to say about this movie.Its pretty good,nothing new or original.I liked some of the homages,the characters were likable.Don't let all the negative hype deter you from seeing this.

Sean

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Meh...watched The Sleeper last night...nothing special. The opening showed promise, but eventually fell flat quickly. I think the director needs to watch a few more slasher flicks from the bygone era and really study the cinematography a little more. He needs to back the camera up and put it on a tripod of something. It seemed like during all of the shots of people talking, the camera was in an extreme close up of their cheek and wobbling back and forth. I thought it was alittle disracting especially when we're trying to get to know these people.

The killer was ok I guess, again nothing we haven't seen before. I noticed this was suppose to take place in 1982...if it wasn't on the screen I would have said this looked like a present day movie. It really kinda failed in that aspect and you can't really blame budget on that. I mean you can to to Goodwill or St. Vinnies and you can travel back in time for pennies.

See what made House of the Devil special, is it felt as if it was made in the VHS era...so much went into making sure every little detail fit that time period from clothes to camera angles. The Sleeper just felt like a modern day movie trying to replicate a movie of the past.

I did however like the effects and the kills. The kill in the shower area was probably my favorite as it was stylistically the kind of kill you would have seen in the slasher heyday...it was shot well.

All-in-all The Sleeper was entertaing, but I guess I was expecting something a little more polished.

Great seeing Joe Bob again too...ha!

9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

House of the Devil did a way better job than The Sleeper, but I'd still be able to tell that House was shot in the present day. But it's still a major step up.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Has anyone done this yet? This is tempting to buy, but I see it as pointless if it wont play in my player/s.

11. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Just got my copy of the DVD/VHS set in the mail today and had a chance to check it out and I personally enjoyed the hell out of it. As was mentioned before, some of the acting was pretty bad and a scene here and there (the bar, disco rap line dance) seemed out of place. I thought the kills were entertaining as hell as long as you're not expecting KNB level effects. One thing that did bother me, and I'm just nitpicking here, if you're going to go out of your way to make your film seem like a lost eighties slasher, would it have been so hard to bring in a stylist to create some eighties hairstyles? That was the most obvious standout that this was a modern film. Overall though, I enjoyed and had fun with it and it is definitely something I will watch again. It was especially great seeing Joe Bob again. His appearance and the added Drive-In totals bonus feature just added a further level of nostalgia for me. Damn I miss that guy. Someone PLEASE bring Joe Bob back to TV. If Elvira can get a show again, so can goddamned Joe Bob!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  12. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

THE SLEEPER is a fine homage to early 80's slashers. On a low budget, the filmmakers got it right. The music, camera angles, and most important the FEEL of what true fans love about these type of movies. For what it is, I loved it, and I would recommend finding a way to see The Sleeper for cheap, cause you might just kick yourself if you pay too much.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Enjoyed the hell out of it.

Just ordered it and Death Stop Holocaust from Amazon.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Heard Death Stop Holocaust is heading to blu-ray soon.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I really enjoyed The Sleeper. Justin Russell's throwback to 80's slashers nails the homage right on the head. A great looking retro-slasher that wears its influences on its sleeve, and manages to pay them considerable respect without ripping them off outright. A worthwhile indie flick.

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

"without ripping them off outright."

Say what? I thought it was exactly that. A huge rip-off.
    For 30,000, The Sleeper is phenomenal. But in the grand scheme of slashers, it feels to me to be a bit bland and lazy as far as certain 80s aspects.

I also don't think it looks or feels anything like the 1980s.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The box arrived today and I just finished watching the VHS.

And I LOVED it! Especially the last 30 minutes got EVERYTHING right.
    It reminded me alot of those more obscure slashers that sadly got forgotten amongst all the bigger slashers like Friday the 13th etc.

The killer was definitely one of those you never see in modern slashers, as he was more of the "Don´t go into the house/Maniac" school with his sleazy craziness :D

Also loved the ending which also is very typical of a lot of them old slashers.

Sure the disco scene could have been left on the cutting floor, and some of the hairstyles etc. broke the illusion that it was set in 1981. But other than that it sure as hell was the best slasher I´ve seen in a LONG time, and way better than the crap coming out in the theaters lately in the genre,

If the director can do all this with only $30.000, I would love to see what he could do with $300.000.

Btw, if you bought the box with the VHS, watch the tape instead, as it has more of an grindhouse feel to it with more scratches, dirt and faded colors throughout, compared to the cleaner look on the DVD.

18. Zombie Dude

Is there anywhere to get the VHS set cheap?

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

20. Zombie Dude

Thanks for that. It's not really what I want to pay for this though. Maybe I'll just try and track down a cheap dvd.