The Slumber Party Massacre Series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Jun 12, 2003.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Hey guys, the favorite slasher thread got me thinking about the SPM series. I just watched SPM 2 for the first time and uhhh, it was different. It started off pretty cool, and then just kind of went out the window with the introduction of the driller killer. There is no description of his character at all, and the fact that he kills in dreams (or does he?) is alluded to by the various NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET references. Not a total waste, but definitely a weird little slasher.

So what did you all think of this series? Which is the best, which is the worst, etc?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i loved the original , it was your prototypical 80's slasher,
    part 2 i didn't really like , the killer reminded me of andrew dice clay.

i haven't seen the 3rd yet, maybe i'll try to rent it from my local video shop.

3. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Part 1 was really good, I liked it a lot.
    Part 2 was sorta like a Nightmare on Elm street film but better in my opinion. Still not all that great though.
    Part 3, I own it, haven't seen it yet.

4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I like the first one alot. Got everything in it. Gore, breasts, pizza, breasts, power tools, breasts, and a decent body count. Oh yeah, breasts too!

Anyway, I saw the second one a long time ago and remember not really liking it at all. That rock/horror thing just doesn't do it for me. Haven't seen the 3rd yet, so no opinion on that.

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    the 3rd is great! I love the Kurt Cobain lookalike (the guy that they try and make you think is the killer). The actual killer is a riot too, the stud turned psycho.

Part 2, just great, I love the killer, and the stoner guy is great. Gotta love that zit popping scene, and the music those girls play, gotta love the cheeze!

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i love this series! part 3 is my favorite. part 1 is good, and part 2, is ok.

7. Latency

Latency Guest

So these are on DVD eh ? I haven't seen any. Sounds like the original is the one to get. I'll get my feet wet this weekend if I can find a copy here in town. So lots of boobs in this one ? How much are we talking here? :)

8. Latency

Latency Guest

Rhett - Actually, why not do a review of the original and post it on the site for us? :)

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

The DVDs are quite cheap, I should do a review of the series one of these days. I've still got to get through the SCREAM box and a whole bunch of other titles first though. Good suggestion though.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Maybe I said breasts a bit much in my post. Rest assured though there is an ample amount of nudity. I think I'd still like this one even if there wasn't any.

11. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    One thing to note is that this is not a series where the first one is considered solid and the rest are simply cheeze. They are all low budget slasher cheeze.

They can be found at Best Buy for 6.99 a piece. I may hop on here and do a reader review of each one later on. These releases are a real bargain and worth every penny (considering that I paid 3 bucks each to rent them back in the day)

I can't believe that no one has mentioned that fact that both the slumber party and the sorrority house series use footage from the other series, and change the names and situations of the characters to suit the story. Now that is what I call ART :D

12. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

$5.97 each at DDD.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The first is clearly better than the others, but I will admit it, I like them all. Of course, I have never met a cheesy slasher I didn't like, but still. Good times.

I also really like the Sorority House Massacre movies. The first one actually scares me for some reason, maybe because I dated someone who looks like the killer, and the second is like a new class of cheese. Girls dressing up like that to have a sleepover together, that alone cracks me up. :lol: The cheesy killings and the funny as hell ending is just like gravy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2003
  14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Gotta love those super-fine girls with dorky boyfriends who have boring sleepovers dressed in the finest Victoras Secret has to offer! Sometimes they get real crazy and , gulp, Drink Beer!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Great series. But the second one was like "whaaaa?" I got the entire trilogy on DVD from amazon.com for under $30. Check them out.

16. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i've only seen the first one, but i didn't really like it. I think the fact that all the girls are ugly with ugly breastsessess turned me off from it...with all that toplessness and all.

17. Rock

Rock Member

This may not be a big deal to most viewers but, for purists out there (like me), you may be interested to know that, for some reason, when Embassy Home Video released THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE on VHS, they replaced the first few seconds of the original opening title sequence...what is now seen on virtually all VHS and DVD prints of the movie is not the original theatrical/cable version! Blasphemous!

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

Why did they replace it?

19. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Well, the VHS of SPM-remember the scene when the girl wakes up and changes the radio? This is the transcript from the VHS and DVD versions:

VHS:
    Announcer: You've won!!!
    Girl: Oh my god! What did I win?
    Announcer: You've won...are you ready...Your own (guess) KBLL t-shirt!
    Girl: Oh is that all?

DVD:
    Announcer: You've won!!!
    Girl: Oh my god! What did I win?
    Announcer: You've won...are you ready...Your own (guess) KBLL t-shirt!
    Girl: Oh-(Trish changes the radio)

20. Rock

Rock Member

Prob because it was too subtle and understated for their sleazy video poster/ad campaign that featured the phallic drill and large-breasted babes. The poster you saw in the window of your local video store back in the mid 80's displays the title that Embassy used to replace the original opening sequence (in which the title words "The Slumber Party" are slowly typed out in black Courier font on a blank piece of white paper before a blood-red "MASSACRE" in all caps is stamped over them).