The Stepfather

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Tawny, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

This was on cable.How come it isn't on DVD?How does the sequel get released and not the original? This movie is pure classic in my book.(I consider Jill Schoelen an 80's Scream Queen):mad:

2. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Yeah, it is a great movie.

The reason that the sequel is out on DVD and not the original is probably because the rights are held by different parties, and the party that is holding the rights to "The Stepfather" (original) aren't interested in releasing it.

3. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

I don't know why. I thought we were all going to go to hell in a handbasket when the sequel gets released my Touchstone DVD while their movies (What's Love Got to Do With It?) gets only a trailer....I looove Jill Schoelen. She's such a good actress. Anyone see her in Cutting Class? NO MORE FUCKING AROUND WITH MY EMOTIONS <<<<WACK!!!!>>>>

4. Tawny

Yeah I love Cutting Class.Love the Wall of Voodoo soundtrack and of course Brad Pitt.I want this on dvd too.

5. Tawny

How the hell could they not want to release Stepfather?It was a pretty big movie when it was initially released if I remember correctly.Who owns it?

6. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

I own the video. BTW-I own the Andy Prieboy CD which has Nearer To Morning and my favorite-MAN TALK!!

7. Tawny

I also own the video, but it is pretty old and doesn't look too good.:confused:

8. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

No, it doesn't. Roger Ebert didn't like this one. I remember a different cover...it was basically the same but it looked like we were looking in a window and saw...oh hell, I'll find it. You own CUTTING CLASS? I got mine in the mail smelling like kerosene. I love that smell. I was way happy.

9. Rock

Rock Member

Couldn't sleep the other night so turned on the tube and caught WHEN A STRANGER CALLS BACK...Ms. Schoelen was the best thing in the movie...those opening twenty minutes are pretty scary!

10. Tawny

Jill Schoelen's mullitt was pretty scary in When a Stranger Calls Back.:eek1: It seems like Scream pretty much ripped off the opening, but Stranger is much scarier.

11. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Yup. But wierd too. I mean, painting yourself as a bunch of bricks? Wierd!

12. scarychick

scarychick Guest

I agree that "The Stepfather" is an excellent movie. A classic "sleeper" hit. The sequel was watchable, however it paled in comparision to the original. Wasn't there a third Stepfather movie as well?

I also have to give kudos to the haunting and enigmatic musical score to The Stepfather. As something we can probably all agree with, music has such an profound impact on a movie.

~M :)

13. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

14. Tawny

The 3rd Stepfather did not have Terry O'quinn.All I can remember is that it had Terry from Three's Company,and the kid from Last Action Hero.

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Actually it was quite a flop when it played in theaters.
    I dunno who owns it now but it was released on video by "Embassy" back then.
    Oddly enough IMDb lists "Columbia" as the distributor though.

16. Tawny

If it was such a flop, why make 2 sequels?

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It was a box office flop but critics kinda liked it plus it won several film awards and had a strong cult following once it hit video and played on TV.
    Probably that's why they made those sequels ...

18. Tawny

I was young when it came out, but everyone I know at the time really liked it.I guess the fact that they showed it on HBO everyday didn't hurt its popularity.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I love the Stepfather movies... the 3rd one is definitely the worst of them (but it still has it's charm) and Priscilla Barnes (Terry from Three's Company) was the only good thing about it, and she is a goddess, IMO. :D

The 2nd is good, too, but it definitely cannot reach the terror and suspense of the 1st. Hell, I like them all though. :)

20. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Are you sure it was a flop? I mean, it was a "classy" movie.