The Strain on FX

Discussion in 'General' started by zompirejoe, Jul 14, 2014.

1. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I couldn't find a thread on this one ,so ....... Did anyone catch this last night ? It's based on the series of books by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I thought it was great and this makes the rest of the series seem really promising. I haven't read the books yet, but this has really made me interested. Any fans of the books and or series on here ?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's good so far, but watching it with ads breaks up the tension too much. It'll play a lot better when it makes it to DVD/Netflix. It's a terrific adaptation and will only get better when the shit hits the fan (and the shit DOES hit the fan).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  3. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Yes, like many other shows I cannot stand the commercial breaks. Good to hear it is a good adaptation.

4. cjg

cjg Active Member

DVR well worth the money.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I DVRed it. I have the book and never read it, so planning on plowing through that really quickly before I started the show.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm gonna wait to see how this one shakes out, and maybe Netflix it later. Too many times I get started on these "buzz" shows that start out great and go out on a whimper (recent examples: The Following, Sleepy Hollow, Penny Dreadful, True Detective). I've just started Orange is the New Black, and Orphan Black is next on my list. Masters of Sex is back on Showtime, and 24 ends tonight. So I'm just gonna focus on those three shows the rest of the summer.

7. maybrick

I wouldn't worry about The Strain going out with a whimper. I read the books so I know where it's all leading and there's no fizzling out. It's basically a remake of Salem's Lot (which was in turn a remake of Dracula) but on a far more massive scale and with an emphasis on scientific rather than supernatural origin of vampirism..

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I could only make it through the first novel, but the ads for the show have me interested. Gonna watch on DVR this week.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

You really felt that way. Maybe, maybe a little Penny Dreadful, but True Detective was fantastic start to finish imo.

And on Orange is the New Black, I'll say this. It's the one of rare series that is good despite the awful lead character. By the second season, you'll be saying, "why is she even in this show?" Because everyone else in the jail is more interesting then Piper. You don't root for her, & she's just not important anymore to the series even though the whole show is based on her story. In the second season there's one episode where she's not even in it. And when she comes back, you're like ugh, her again?

My gut tells me that when they were presented the idea of a series, the initial reaction was a movie, but gave it a shot anyway. Well after a few episodes they ran out of the "real story" & started making stuff up for the other prisoners to tell their stories to fill the series out. Bottom line it's an entertaining show, but Piper is the worst part. Plus she makes more weird faces than Jim Carrey on crack.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, everything is subjective, of course. I'm just trying to keep a limit on the amount of TV series I watch, as it starts to get diluted when you're watching a few dozen concurrently. Plus, it takes away from my movie viewing time.

I'm only 3 eps into Orange, although I've already heard the second season is not as good. Not sure what I'll do when I finish this first one. As for The Strain, I'll wait to see how it pans out based on the internet buzz. Without even getting too in depth into the online conversations and spoilers, you can kinda tell how a show is faring. For example, Game of Thrones (which I've never seen), still gets a lot of attention. Same with Breaking Bad, all the way till the end. You can also see which shows start to lose their hold on viewers. The Following, perfect example. And actually, American Horror Story falls into that category too, although I still enjoy it. So I'm gonna lurk on the sidelines for this one, for a little while longer at least.

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Orange is a blast. Fell asleep during Strain but Im gonna check it out.

12. maybrick

I have admit, I came awfully close to nodding off as well, but I'm positive that it had more to do with the lateness of the hour. I spent all day thinking that it was going to begin at 9 like The Walking Dead does, only to find out shortly before that it wouldn't start until 10. And then only learning that it was a 90 minute show when 11 came along. It was rough. Without out a doubt I would have gotten into it more if I could have watched it earlier and cut out the ads to speed it up.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I Dvr'd it - probably wait till a few episodes in then start watching it - sounds very promising

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yeah the show seemed good but 10 was way past my bedtime. I'm on vaca so figured I'd go for it. Didn't work.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Very underwhelmed by the start. Characters are rather dull. The conspiracy angle is cliche. And the visuals are uninspired. And overall I just didn't find it very engrossing.

The cast is nicely picked and have a good amount of charisma that does a pretty decent job of nearly overcoming how blandly the characters are written. But, it's going to need to pull some pretty impressive turns in the next episode or two in order to keep my attention.

The big sadness for me is that I really like Del Toro and always find myself rooting for him to succeed. But this one just feels like third-tier Stephen King at best.

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I read the first 100 pages this afternoon.

I'm curious how far the pilot episode will go. I'm just after the eclipse (or "occultation" as it's called in the book). Will probably just wait until I'm finished anyway, that way I'll have a few episodes piled up and can binge watch.

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

The Strain (First Three Episodes Review with SLIGHT SPOILERS!)

I have mixed feelings about this one. I didn't read the books. I was going to but heard about the coming TV show. I watched the first 30 minutes. Stopped. Watched the rest the next day. Thought about it a bit. Watched the second episode. Still so so. I watched the third last night, perhaps I expected too much from this show because Guillermo del Toro worked on it. The setup is fine. It's actually pretty good with the plane and virus or "strain" that they are dealing with. It's almost everything else that is bad. It's predictable cliche after cliche. I thought I was watching a bad soap opera. From the opening marriage "counseling" scene, to the stuff with the ex-wife's new boyfriend moving into the main character's (named Dr. Goodweather because of course bad weather is coming) home, changing it, sleeping with the ex-wife in it, becoming a stepfather to his son. The "surprise" predictable revelation that Dr. Goodweather is in AA and having a relationship with his pretty female doctor partner. And of course a child custody hearing not going his way and the pretend to be caring ex-wife. The only thing that's missing is having Dr. Goodweather lose his sportscar in the separation and the new guy drive that around. Even though Dr. Goodweather is upset that this new guy drives his family around in I believe it was a Prius. All this stuff would push even the best guy to OJ levels of anger and should really be removed. I know it's character development but I was so tempted to stop the show because of it. This could be basically like the X-Files without all that other stuff because like I mentioned the strain and monsters are good. The final scene at the end of the third episode makes you want to see the next episode. And there is an older character who's kind of cool, sort of an ex-vampire hunter or something.

18. maybrick

If any of you has already given up watching The Strain by now, then it's your loss. Last night's episode (#8) was as intense as anything The Walking Dead has done yet. More intense, in my humble opinion. The shit is really hitting the fan now.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I am still DVRing the series but havent started to watch it yet- but I am looking forward to checking it out

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

maybrick: I agree. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Good special effects and some decent characters. I was happy to see it is 13 EPs; I thought maybe it was 10 or 12.