The Strain on FX

Discussion in 'General' started by zompirejoe, Jul 14, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just finished the first book.

Can anyone who has both seen the TV show and read the books tell me, does the TV series go further than the first book? Are they doing it one book per season?

Just curious, because I have the other two books but am not sure if I'll be reading them right away. I'd like the get started on the TV show though, but not if it's going to spoil the last two books.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The Strain is Season 1. The Fall is Season 2. The Night Eternal will be stretched over 2 or 3 seasons depending upon the ratings. So far, the tv series hasn't been an exact adaptation of the books. There are a few minor differences. We're already well beyond the point when Gus should have met Setrakian in jail, and there is a woman computer hacker that wasn't in the books at all, (to name a few), but like with The Walking Dead, Del Toro decided to leave it open to take things in different directions. It keeps it interesting for those of us who "think" we know what is going to happen. ;)

3. CPT HOOK

^ Perfect, thanks for the response!

I might wait another week or so before I start. If I watch an episode a day, it should have me wrapping up right around the time of the finale.

4. maybrick

You're welcome. And just in case there was any concern, the show has already been picked up for another season. :)

5. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Probably will pick up the season set when it comes out. Have read the books and think they are getting the tone pitch perfect. Have only seen the first two episodes though.

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

The horror elements are excellent and have del Toro's fingerprints all over them. As somebody else mentioned the "backstories" of the characters are tedious. It's a classic case of a horror story that wants to be taken seriously as a drama. It would be better sticking with the pulpy, horrific elements.

7. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Saw the pilot for this and thought it was terrible. I didn't read the books but I thought all the characters were flat and some of the dialogue was laughably bad. After watching The Devil's Backbone recently it's hard to think that this show can come from the same guy.

Then again I also started watching The Returned which is world's apart in terms of depth, cinematography, and character development so going from that to this show was like "this is amateur hour".

8. maybrick

Well, as I said before, I think you're missing out if you only got that far. There was an admittedly slow build for the first 5 episodes or so, but now it's gone pretty hog wild. Maybe it has to do with over expectations from fans of Del Toro, but here's the thing: I'm not a fan of his work. I want to like him, but for whatever reason I just don't. The Strain, to me, is the best thing he has done, and as far as the complaints about the writing and characters falling flat go they aren't any worse than the ones in The Walking Dead. I watch TWD but I have yet to revisit old episodes and nor do I have the desire to. But The Strain on the other hand I can see myself owning.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The second half of the season has really picked up speed.
    Shit has really hit the fan now, canĀ“t wait for the next episode :)

I think the characters in this show is far more interesting than the dull idiots in "The Walking Dead".

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yeah, if I had to pick, I think right now I'm picking this over Walking Dead.

11. CPT HOOK

I was iffy about season one, but I'm LOVING season two so far.

Just started episode 4, fun intro. This show has really found its groove.

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm behind; I have watched the first few episodes but continue to enjoy it.

13. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

My initial reaction was major disappointment when I found out this was a vampire show. I was expecting some sort of viral outbreak. After a few episodes I was beyond hooked and now love this show.

14. CPT HOOK

After an iffy first season, the second season of The Strain was stellar. I was hooked this season. I loved the addition of Samantha Mathis to the cast this season, I've always been a fan of hers and it was great to see her in such a strong (and stereotypically male) role. I love the Fet and Dutch relationship, their characters really won me over this season. Also loved the growing bond between Nora and Zach (and was left devastated by the finale). The leading man Eph got all the dull storylines this year.

Last year was a bit sluggishly paced with the really exciting gas station episode stuck right in the middle. This year, every episode felt like that gas station episode. The intensity has really ramped up and I can't wait for season three.

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I didn't like the growing soap opera parts this season. If that sort of thing continues next season I'll probably stop watching. They made some changes too from the books according to other forums. I guess I'll read those one day.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I have never watched a show where I've hated a child actor so much in my life!!

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  17. maybrick

He reminds me a lot of the child actor that played young Dean in flashbacks in the early seasons of Supernatural. I didn't like him either. I wish they kept the other kid from Season 1.

Shannafey likes this.
  18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It's been so long, I can't remember the actors. I need to do a rewatch.

19. maybrick

Just watch "A Very Supernatural Christmas" from season 3. It's one of my favorite episodes, but that kid is in it.

Shannafey likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Hated him. People will cheer if something bad happens to him in the show next season. Or just won't care.

Shannafey likes this.