The Strangers 2 is finally moving forward

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Feb 8, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For sure going, and I can't wait. After Death Wish and Game Night it'll be my third trip to the theater in the span of a week. January and February were pretty much a dry spell, but I'll be at the theater every weekend for March and April.

Also really want to see Thoroughbreds this weekend, but don't see it in the theater listings yet. If not this weekend, I'm hoping we get it next.

fceurich39 and Natas like this.
  2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Hell yeah, bud! Game Night was awesome. "Three bags of tostitos scoops? 3 for 1 huh? Where is the profit margin for Frito Olay?"

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

Was planning to see it tonight, but I've been meaning to revisit the first film before. I'll probably give Scream Factory's blu-ray a spin tonight, then venture to the theaters for Strangers: Prey At Night tomorrow night.

fceurich39 likes this.
  4. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

I attended a free screening of this on Tuesday night. It was decent but I felt there were quite a few moments of characters doing dumb stuff when more logical actions would've ensured their safety. There were also some bits that defied believability (mainly towards the end) and a somewhat weak final shot. I haven't watched the first one in a while but felt it was slightly more realistic. While I don't think the sequel was an abomination, I think I enjoyed the original more...again, will have to rewatch. The sequel did have a few winks to some classic horror movies (namely "Christine" and the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre") and a lot of 80's pop tunes on the soundtrack...so there's that...

CPT HOOK and fceurich39 like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been hearing this one is full of stupid people doing stupid things. It sounds pretty bad.

m@ggot likes this.
  6. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

The friend I saw it with (who liked it less than I did) said pretty much this exactly...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

9. CPT HOOK

I'm pretty easy when it comes to this type of movie, so I thought it was fine. But this more or less felt like a direct-to-DVD sequel, the main thing elevating it being that they sprung for music rights. That said, I think the original still had more creative music choices.

The original movie is very effective, although hindered by the constant "shaky cam" photography. This felt pretty safe and vanilla in comparison, although there is a stellar set-piece involving a pool and Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart", topping the use of the same song in 1998's Urban Legend.

To put things in perspective, I'd compare this to the original film the same way I'd compare Vacancy 2: The First Cut to Vacancy.

Maybe it's better than I'm saying it was, as I had the most atrocious couple ever sitting behind me. The guy had his feet on the back of the chair, so I had a pair of feet bobbing in the air in my peripheral vision two seats over. And they talked the entire movie. The characters do make a lot of dumb decisions, which as a horror fan I'm used to and I roll with it. But they weren't capable. The girl kept saying "what the fuck?" and the guy kept saying "if I were them, I'd...". Also, there was a scene near the beginning where the guy calls his sister a "queef" and the girl cackled for a good five minutes, as though it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard. If I hadn't MoviePass-ed it, I might have been pissed.

10. CPT HOOK

I'm seeing nothing but glowing reviews for this. Maybe I shot myself in the foot by watching the original movie the night before going?

m@ggot likes this.
  11. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised...the movie wasn't a steaming pile but definitely not a genre benchmark. I didn't re-watch the original, but felt much the same way you did. The pool scene was definitely a highlight...

CPT HOOK likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I've only seen the opposite lol. To be fair it was only two YouTube reviews but I trust those guys for the most part and they both labeled the film as basically feeling dtv and having nothing to do with the fist film. Plus as mentioned before, a lot of stupid characters doing stupid things.

13. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

I was surprised to see the bluray.com review gave it 7/10 stars. That is surprisingly high for their reviews. Also, many of the commenters in that thread are very positive. I am looking forward to seeing it! It sounds like it doesn't really offer anything ground-breaking, but does seem fun and entertaining.

14. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

Heck with all the comments around I am looking forward to seeing the pool scene...avoiding spoilers though....

15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I thought it was one of the better theatrical horror movies I've seen in years to be honest. Really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect by any means but it was really enjoyable. The pace was terrific....... I also really enjoyed the camera work. There were some beautifully shot sequences..... a lot of long sustained shots throughout. I hate to judge this compared to the original as the only connection between the two are the killers masks and the general premise..... but if you were to compare both films I think I enjoyed this one more. There was more action, that's for sure.

Someone mentioned the pool scene....... definitely a highlight of the film.

Also....
    my favorite bit was the shotgun kill towards the end.....that 2nd kill shot was really cool.....I loved how it was filmed

Anyways, if you're on the fence I suggest to see it in the theater.....although I had some annoying little snot-rags adding their retarded two cents here and there throughout the film, it could have been worse. Natas didn't have to stand up and take a bitch down a peg or two or anything :D

16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Suspension of disbelief is intrinsic to the horror film genre so I will state categorically that I loved this film.
    The score is incredibly memorable and elevates the film quite a bit. Some interesting soundtrack choices too.
    It's incredibly stylish and genuinely creepy. I loved the nod to Texas Chainsaw Massacre in one particular scene.
    The whole thing feels like a remake of 'Vacancy', but so what? It was enjoyable as Hell with a breakneck pace and kept me on the edge of my seat.
    Stupid, yes. Gratuitous violence, guilty. However, I had a tremendous amount of fun with this one.

buck135, Natas and CPT HOOK like this.
  17. CPT HOOK

I think the thing that both surprised me and made the movie feel safe at the same time is that
    they kill the strangers. And the way they handled the kills of the parents was so tame and ineffective, I kind of had a gut feeling at least the daughter would be safe. I wonder what this means for the prospects of a Strangers 3, not that we would have seen it for another ten years anyway?

I found it surprisingly tame. The kills were all just stabbing. The big difference between the original and this being that the original takes the Psycho approach where you never actually see the knife go in. Here you do, and it's kind of boring. If they were going to show the violence, they should have just gone for it and gotten a little crazier with the kills.

Something interesting about the original that they discuss on the Scream Factory blu-ray is that the ending was originally shot where you see all the strangers faces once they take their masks off, and they're in full display throughout the entire finale. They ended up cutting around it, so you only see their faces partially or from a distance. They probably made the right choice, but it would be interesting to see that footage. Whether or not they're unmasked in the sequel, I won't say.

From last Saturday to this Saturday, I ended up making FOUR trips to the movies (thanks MoviePass!). Death Wish, Game Night, The Strangers: Prey At Night, and Love Simon. The first three all left me feeling meh (and I was really excited for Death Wish and Strangers too!), and the one I was least interested in (Love Simon) ended up being a great little John Hughes style teen movie that was easily the best of the bunch. Go figure!

Anthropophagus likes this.
  18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

In my defense, I found the film to be a welcome respite from the James Wan type supernatural horrors that seem to have taken over the genre with the endless sequels and offshoots.
    It was a nice to see a throwback to the eighties style slasher films that I used to diligently rent from Mom and Pop video stores every Friday night.
    Was it perfect? Absolutely not. However, I found it enjoyable for what it was.
    I guess because I no longer watch that much horror film I found the violence level pretty high. For hardcore horror fans, it would seem tame especially after the onslaught of films predicated on sadistic violence and gore in recent years.
    There was a dozen people in the theater as we watched, and I did see some genuinely terrified faces there.
    I also did enjoy it far more than Death Wish and Game Night, both of which fell somewhat flat, in spite of one terrifically gory scene in Death Wish.

Natas likes this.
  19. CPT HOOK

Did not realize the son in this is the son of Bill Pullman.

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Blue ray is out on June 12 and will have 2 versions and alternate ending etc.