The Survivor (1981)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mutilated Prey, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just watched The Survivor, 1981, recently distributed by Scorpion Releasing. Overall it's a pretty cool story and flick to come out of Australia. The opening sequence is somewhat intense and gets you enthralled early. You then hit a couple dry spots, but that's OK. A few interesting sequences of events start to take place that leave you wondering what's going on and you remain tuned in for answers, hopefully, towards the end.

There's a creepy atmosphere thoughout which is great, and some stories start to tie together....except there is one big plot hole that will leave you scratching your head in the end. I thought I had missed something until I read some IMDB reviews and apparently there's an important tid bit of information mentioned in the book that didn't make it into the movie - this really is the film's only flaw in my opinion, but it's somewhat of a big one.

Scorpion did a great job with this release by the way - looks as good as it's probably ever gonna get. I recommend giving it a watch and then do some digging afterwards to put your mind at ease ensuring you're not crazy.

[​IMG]

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Great little film, and another nice release from Scorpion. The extended cut of the film works far better than the shorter truncated version. I still need to get around to listening to the audio commentary though...

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Ah yes, I wonder if the commentary gives explanation at all during these "open to interpretation" scenes I speak of. I will have to check it out soon.