The Texas Chain Saw Massacre '74

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by geeare, Oct 26, 2005.

1. geeare

geeare Guest

I've searched the forum and haven't come up with anything that will help me so I apologise if this has already been posted.

I've been holding off buying The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) since I bought my DVD player many moons ago. I haven't heard or read any really good reviews on any of the DVD's for this movie. I've got an aweful hankering to see this movie again but would like to get the best transfer out there. I don't care much for extras, all I really care about is the film itself.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the repeditive thread if there is one out there already.

2. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

My suggestion would be to purchase the most recent release of it from about a year (or two?) ago. I think it was released by Pioneer. You're never going to get truly great A/V qualities of this film as there's only so much you can do with certain films and their original state of quality. Having said that, I think that's part of the effectiveness of the film is it's guerrilla-documentary film style of execution. (No pun intended). :D

3. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

It's also dirt cheap.

4. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

The pioneer dvd I got a few years back was of pretty good quality, it was the same as the pioneer laserdisc I heard. But it has a commentary track, and lots of extras. The video quality of the movie is not so great, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the dvd or the orignal film. But it suits the movie perfectly.

5. geeare

geeare Guest

sounds like I'm getting the Pioneer DVD. Thanks guys! And you're right, I'm not sure if a crisp picture would make this film better. That's almost part of the fun with this flick is that it has a bit of a "crusty" look to it, lol.

Thanks again!

6. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Dark Sky Films is supposed to be putting out an anamorphic dvd of this that I believe is from the recent hi def remaster by Don May. When exactly? I'm not sure.

7. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

I thought Blue Underground was doing it?

8. knewby

knewby Member

Actually MPI is releasing the newly remastered (by Don) but not til next year. Neither Dark Sky or Blue Underground is putting the release out. The Pioneer version (which is excellent) was as low as $6.00 at my local Wal-Mart.....Larry

9. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

EXCELLENT?!? the pioneer disc was no where near excellent in terms of A/V quality. the print was horrible looking, way too dark in some scenes especially the chase scene. even the old vhs features a better print, that was much brighter and more clear

10. RickB

RickB New Member

I found the Pioneer DVD to be lacking in a/v too. Sad really because the extras on it were fantastic. Still if a better quality DVD happens I'll buy it over again.

11. knewby

knewby Member

Don't get yer panties in a wad. I was referring to the tons of bonus features that the disc offers not the actual print quality.....................Larry

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

blue underground is actually doing the transfer for it but dark sky is releasing this just like they did with henry dvd it is supposed to be a 2 disc dvd

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Pioneer screwed up and somehow used an incorrect transfer from what I've always heard. Even the laser disc supposedly had a better transfer with more lines of native resolution.

The Pioneer DVD definitely has a "Grindhouse" look, but it sure could use a massive update in the A/V department.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    yeah - LD from Elite looks great. The Pioneer DVD isn't nearly as good...to my eyes, at least.
    I can't wait for a new version. You may think this is crazy but does anyone remember "Terror in the Aisles"? Notice how clear their scenes from Texas Chainsaw are?

15. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Just to clarify,

Don May, Jr. and Synapse Films are providing the new 16x9 transfer that was produced for the VOOM HD service in 2003. Blue Underground is providing the new extras (commentary w/ David Gregory, Marilyn Burns, Paul Partain, Bob Burns, and Allen Danziger recorded in November 2003 and the 80 minute "Shocking Truth" documentary recorded in 2000.) The 2 Disc Set is being released by MPI Home Video under their Dark Sky Films label. (MPI and Dark Sky are the same company.) This release is a collabaration of three different studios. (Synapse, Blue Underground, and MPI/Dark Sky.)

What sucks is this.

This thing was supposed to be out right now, Fall 2005. That's what was implied when it was first announced that it was in the works way back in early February. Now MPI/Dark Sky is saying it's planned for a Fall 2006 release. I'd like to know why. Why was this thing delayed for a whole fucking year when everything being included was completed YEARS AGO. The only answer MPI/Dark Sky gave me was that the Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer disc was "the major horror release for Fall 2005." So, would it be too much trouble to release two horror titles on DVD per year? They could only handle one title? Give me a break. And why did Henry get priority over Chainsaw? If they were only going to release one this year, well, Chainsaw is more popular so I figure it should have been released first.

And the Pioneer DVD of Chainsaw does suck. I've got a 16x9 TV and I'm goddamned sick of having to endure with a non-anamorphic transfer of one of the greatest horror films of all time. Jesus H. Christ, we're only two months away from 2006 and Chainsaw is still only available on DVD in non-anamorphic form. This 16x9 release should have been put out YEARS AGO and everyone knows it.

Sorry for the meltdown guys, but MPI/Dark Sky really pissed me off on this. I get angry every time I think about it.

16. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I'm sure they'll release the new double disc of the original around the same time the prequel to the remake is released (either in theatres or on dvd).

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Makes sense and should explain the delay.

18. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

The commentary is really good too. Gunner, Tobe, and Daniel Pearl make for an interesting retrospect of making the film. Especially how slow of a runner Marilyn was, you could feel Gunner rolling his eyes