The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) Anticipation/Reviews/Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Oct 1, 2003.

1. bad_cardsuk

bad_cardsuk Guest

Harry Knowles the 'victim on a silver platter'...but where was this in the film? It may have been a while since I saw it but I can't remember.

2. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

They just showed harry's head in a quick pan inside the house. Should have stuck a pigs dick in his mouth.

3. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

i saw this finally yesterday at the $1.50 theater so this is my thoughts on it...

first of all, i dont care if its a remake and i wont compare it to the original at all. secondly, i wanted to like it...

the first 15 minutes were pretty good, culminating in a great scene where the hitchhiker shoots herself and the great camera work thru the back of the van.

now with the ONLY good thing out of the way, this film was total shit and just kept getting worse. i wish they would have ended it at 3 different times but no, they pushed on with another lame ass scene. what the hell was with the little subplot of the women with the baby, YOU STOLE IT! yawn. did they need to pad out the running time? this scene was ridiculous, but it made for a nice rescue scene at the end. baby there one second, gone the next. great climax to that subplot.

the trip from the main house to the little house where morgan and jessica biel hide, more padding?

then the trip to meat plant, cant you please end this already, please, but no, we cant miss out on leatherface being fooled by a pig in the locker, who wrote this script and did anyone read it?

ok, shes out on the road, gets in the truck, of course truck driver takes her back to where she doesnt wanna be, shocker! how about saying to the truck driver, "you see this blood on me asshole, the people here did it to me, get the fuck out of this town!" but no, you cant do that, its another lame ass hollywood horror film.

im done rambling on this piece of shit, when i left the theater i originally gave it a 2 out of 10, after writing this, i give it a 1.

ps- the theater i saw it in was sold out and everyone laughed thru every "scary" scene. did i walk into scary movie 3 by mistake? failed on every level possible and i didnt even mention the bucktooth little weaselface from the ring.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I can finally join in this discussion, since I watched this tonight for the first time.

What did I think of it? Well, there were some good moments - no doubt. It doesn't touch the grim reality of the original, it's a bit too pristine at times. I also feel as though the film was much more centered on the character of Leatherface to its detriment. The first film had an overall meaness to it - as though any one of the chracters in it could spin off into madness at any moment. In this one, they weren't pleasant, but you could tell that nothing was really going to happen until old Leatherface got into the scene. In other words, they turned the poor guy into a slasher character.

Interestingly, I watched this with some friends, and we had watched Wrong Turn recently. There were many simularities, and in the end, the general feeling was - if you were going to watch one of them again, Wrong Turn would win out.

I'd say it's not a bad film. If you're a big fan or the original, it's not worth a visit. If you're not, then it's worth a look for sure. The original maintains the crown though - it's just more... well horrific.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Ironic that this thread has been brought back from the dead, when I just re-visited the dvd of this yesterday to check out one of the comm. tracks.

All I can say, is I blind bought the 2-disc dvd and am very happy I did. I honestly wasn't expecting to like this "re-make", but it works for me. Of course it has plot holes and of course it can't possibly live up to the original, but on it's own it's a very solid horror film.
    I've seen many posters say between this and Wrong Turn, they would choose WT every time. I would and already have choosen this over WT just by owning it (I rented WT and did kinda enjoy it, but in the end it just didn't work for me. I even watched it twice and think it lost a lot of steam with the second viewing.)
    To each his own. I never thought I would say this, and I'm sure since my tastes seem to differ from many, I'll be slammed for saying it, but fuck it I'm gonna say it anyway!

TCM'03 is the best big studio horror movie since Resident Evil (another movie I loved that everyone else seems to hate).
    The Dawn of the Dead retelling is the best since TCM'03. I'll see ya at RE2!

6. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I thought the film was horrible, much worse than i thought it would be. :sleepy:

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- The original is a perfect film though, 100% so, thus this remake definitely isn't on par with it.--

Interesting rating system :) On this scale, the new one is a 70% ;)

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't read threads for movies I haven't seen yet as a matter of course, so I don't know what any of y'all think of the remake (I'll have to go back and catch up). It took me a while, but I just got finished watching it and to be frank, I was bored with it half way through and just wanted it over with. As far as the sequels go, I rank it second after part 2, but only because 3 and 4 were complete pieces of shit, and might I add, also remakes. So, in actuality, not only is this a useless remake, it's the third useless remake. I sort of wanted to like it, but then again, I didn't. I was open to seeing a good movie and what I saw just wasn't very good.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I can see where you're coming from Maybrick. Believe it or not, once Leatherface starts his thing, the film can't maintain the tension. The climax (in the original, as surely we all know, has Leatherface swirling in the middle of the road with his chainsaw) was completely blown, imo.

10. maybrick

Yeah. The filmmakers went out of the way to make the remake different than the original, and yet gave us nothing we haven't already seen before. Every horror cliche you can think of is in this movie. And I don't see how you can have TCM without Grandpa (and the dinner scene). That's just sacrilige.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I found the first kill effective, but not AS effective. Mainly the slight pause between the hitting, dragging, and the slamming of the steel door, killed a bit of the effect. Man, the first film nails that.

12. maybrick

That kill was okay I suppose, I guess I was just so uninvolved with the movie by that point that I didn't care one way or another.

Have you checked Marcus Nispel's filmography prior to the remake? It's scarier than the movie:

(courtesy of imdb)
    Janet Jackson: Design of a Decade 1986/1996 (1996) (V)
    Amy Grant: Building the House of Love (1993) (V) (video "House of Love")
    Faith No More: Video Croissant (1992) (V) (video "A Small Victory")

What the FUCK were the producers thinking in hiring this guy to helm TCM???!

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I have never done one of these posts, but the time has come.

Comparing the two TCM movies scene for scene = :sleepy:

And before you go dissing the director's resume, he did a lot of award winning videos and commericals before this movie. IMDb does NOT cover all of his work.

14. maybrick

Good for him. I still don't see how this makes him qualified to helm TCM. I could see maybe if he shot a Marilyn Manson video or something, but Amy fucking Grant? Give me a break!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Comparing the two TCM movies scene for scene=zzzz--

Hey, if they decided to duplicate scenes in the film, then it's fair game and valuable. When they tried to replicate very powerful scenes from the original, then it's fair to comment on whether they were succesful or not, imo. Whenever they tried it in this film, they failed. However, they added some moments - such as the suicide in the van, which was VERY effective.

And yeah, I'm sorry, a commercial and/or music video is not the same as a feature film - let alone a genre classic. I guess it is a sign of our times that many people get their start that way - but honestly, given the content of commercials, I just can't get impressed with that. I have noticed some movies are now cut like MTV videos - and that's a negative to my eye, not a plus.

16. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I guess you hate Fincher too.

Se7en was horrible right?

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

And you believe that one guy that made the jump (or two for that matter) means all directors of commercials and music videos can also, right?

18. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

It means that once the movies out it doesnt matter where they started from. Its not relavant. Judge the movie on its merits.

If you never gave these guys a shot we wouldnt have Se7en or Fight Club.

19. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Actually, all I was doing was stating that he had done more work than the 3 videos that he was being credited with in this thread.

I am not saying that this work automatically makes him qualified for movies. Most video/movie directors don't even get the shot to make movies. What I am saying that music video/commercial work is considered a valid way for directors to break into movie work. I thought that was a given at this point in the reign of MTV.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2004
  20. maybrick

The thing with Fincher is that he was making videos for a relatively short period before directing movies with Alien 3. Before TCM, Nispel had been doing nothing but ads and videos since the 80s it looks like. It's one thing to do some videos to get your foot in the door and quite another to make a life long career out of them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004