The Thing Prequel

Discussion in 'General' started by SEANVALEN, Sep 15, 2008.

1. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I think they're trying to make films look more like the cartoons that make them tons of money. I hate CGI - nobody uses it effectively. It just makes everything look "cartoony" and fake. I had no idea Universal paid for and then scrapped practical effects on The Thing - what a waste! It's ridiculous the kind of money Hollywood throws away making crap films. The catering alone on the sets runs into the millions. Haven't these people ever heard of fast food?

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

You know your prequel is bad when the only enjoyable parts are poor reenactments of it’s source material.

This was by far one of the worst most pointless films I have seen in a very long time. First off this was a remake…poorly disguised as a prequel. The axe in the door, the frozen suicider, the whole end credits sequence felt as if it was just plugged in there so they could get away with calling this tripe a prequel rather than bandwagoning the remake train.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that when Doc asked MacReady “What the hell happened here?” as they uncovered the horrific burnt out remains of the Norwegian Research site, did I think Gee?... probably the EXACT SAME THING that happened at U.S. Outpost 31, just ten times less interesting, less intelligent, less suspenseful, and less terrifying. Not a single new idea was evident in this movie that wasn’t done ten times better in JC’s original. They could have really went hog wild with this “prequel”…really dig into the medical research of The Thing (do a whole Dr. Frankenstein scenario like in that of Day of the Dead), the uncovering of the spacecraft as seen in the video tapes in JC’s original, SHOW THE ACTUAL SUICIDE OF THE NORWEGIAN!…but instead they chose the easy route and mundanely rehashed the original …seriously tooth fillings?! The visceral searing, smokey burning of human blood on a hot wire replaced with a flashlight in a mouth…. HA! How excruciatingly dull! I was so afraid this “prequel” would uncover and taint all the questions and mysteries the original left viewers to figure out for themselves, but thankfully it never even bothered to answer any of them. It was just hellbent on boringly recreating events in the original and tweaking them just enough so it looked as if they are explaining an event, object or character from JC’s original.

I was weary from the start about having cast women in this “prequel”, but I heard other fan’s arguments about the Ripley-type role, etc. etc. and I thought yeah sure, that could work,… NOPE!, my fears came true by the totally emotionless, boring, lackluster portrayal of the lead heroine. I laughed every time I saw her point and fire that flame thrower. It looked like she was watering her vegetable garden rather than burning a fucking alien that was once a human being. I probably would have let it slide if she showed her cans,... no cigar.

CGI was laughably bad as pointed out by everybody who saw the fucking thing…even the slight use of practical effects didn’t hold a flame to Bottin’s masterwork. And why did Thing have crab claws?...reminded me of the bugs in Starship Troopers only done by The Asylum…in fact the whole third act on the spacecraft felt as if I were watching an Asylum production…cheap as hell visual effects.

All-in-all…pointless. The only word I can really use to describe this drek….maybe awful too. I can’t see myself revisiting this movie…ever. I watched the “making of” and I laughed hysterically every time a cast member or actor would proclaim the upmost respect for John Carpenter and his version of The Thing, yet they somehow had no problem with poorly duplicating it and then having the audacity to market it as a prequel. Not only is it disrespect to JC, but to fans of the original who were cheated into watching this trash.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

So you enjoyed it?

4. Chomp

Probably about as much as I'll enjoy my first Colonoscopy.

5. Chomp

It just irks me to death that Universal OK'd this garbage yet denied JC's idea of a true sequel back in '04.

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it for a one time watch, but the CGI really paled in comparison to Bottin's masterful work. I also missed the presence of a badass protagonist like Russell's Macready. It did feel like a remake more than a prequel and it just lacked that compelling element the original had. It was ok, but I wouldn't buy it or see it again. Emblematic of modern horror, style over substance.
    It's probably telling that the part I enjoyed most was the end credit sequence which echoed the beginning of the original complete with Moroder's ominous score.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoyed it for what it was, and really didn't think it was all that bad. Sure, it pales in comparison to Carpenter's film, but I could see this one having turned out far worse than it did...far worse.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I watched it last night and enjoyed it. Sure it's nowhere near the level of Carpenter's movie, but like Katatonia said, it could have been much worse.

I did like the alien's mutations, it's too bad the CGI was overused and didn't mesh well.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Unlike Chomp, I felt that the prequel was very respectful to Carpenter's original. That doesn't mean that they were entirely successful either, I'm just saying. They went overboard by making it more of an action film than anything. If they relied more on foreboding atmosphere and kept the Thing in the shadows more often like in the original, they would have used CGI half as often, but they could've used that extra cash to really "wow" the audience when it was used. But I guess in a way it also shows how the Thing learned from it's mistakes at the Norwegian base by going on to use a more "subtle" approach to alien invasion in Carpenter's film.

10. Chomp

Maybe I just haven't seen that many of the recent plethora of remakes to really numb my senses to what I was about to watch in The Thing "prequel"...because I just can't fathom why someone who is even the slightest fan of JC's original would be content with this film. As grounbreaking as that film was, you guys look at this prequel as: "It could have been worse". Hahaha...no one else sees what's wrong with this picture?

11. Anthropophagus

Well, film and the expectations that go with it have diminished quite a bit since the eighties, sadly enough.

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i enjoyed this movie alot more than the fright night remake which was just average

13. Anthropophagus

Agreed

14. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Quite enjoyed it, The End credits sequence more than made up for any of it's negatives!

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Not on the same level than the Carpenter one, but a great movie IMO.

16. Chomp

LoL...you mean the end sequence that was almost shot for shot identical to the opening scene of the orginal? That made up for the negatives? Ha! Did you find the Psycho remake enjoyable too?

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it used actual footage from the original...just saying ;)

18. Chomp

????????????????????

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

No idea what you're getting at :lol:

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

I thought it was okay. I enjoyed it enough that I plan to actually buy it, and it's been a while since I have bought a movie.