The Thing Prequel

Discussion in 'General' started by SEANVALEN, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

They could just release all the cuts in one set. The studio looks stupid anyway; most of the practical effects show up in the special features so people can see that's not what they got in the final cut. Maybe we'll see a new cut for one of the originals anniversaries.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Finally rented this. The effects reminded me of DEEP RISING's. I liked the practical ones, though (non cgi). I wonder, for all the millions of dollars it takes to make a movie can they AT LEAST come up with new creature sounds? They're like the same skittering, squealing sound effects that were already used in everything from CLOVERFIELD to EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS and so on.
    The music score was stock as well (Beltrami - sounded like SCREAM). All the basics were in place and there was mediocrity to spare (and lots of situations you've seen in other films - such as two characters trying to out run the collapsing ground behind them).
    I did enjoy seeing the alien ship in action. I still don't understand how something so slimy and organic can operate a metallic ship, though...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Uh... it's a shapeshifter?

4. wago70

Yes, but I wonder what form it chooses? That would be interesting to actually see. Instead the end of the film shows us something that looks like a toothed vagina and that alien creature from Howard the Duck which was completely at odds with its technology. That is unless it shapeshifts into some sort of metal and becomes part of the craft. It would have been interesting to add to the mythos.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

You guys kill me :lol:

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would look pretty odd sitting at a command chair ala Captain Kirk. :p

Great question, what the hell does it look/transform like while operating the spacecraft?

7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm probably putting way too much thought in this. But, I would assume that it makes a spaceship to accommodate whatever form it is currently occupying. Considering that we see Blair start to build a ship in the Carpenter version, I would just assume that that is what every "Thing" does when it wants to leave a planet that doesn't have interstellar space craft. Keep in mind, the only reason we see morph-messed "things" is that we keep seeing the process interrupted or when the "thing" is under attack. It's finished "natural" state would be whatever creature it had morphed into.

In other words, the spacecraft that we see crashed on earth did not originate from the "thing's" home planet but from whatever planet the thing had most recently visited.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I like that theory, I really do. But the only thing is that spacecrafts are kinda all the same, no? (movie interpretation speaking) Not so much the shape or design but the fact that they all seem to be made of some sort of "metal" with some sort of computer/electronics/touch controls. Never seen a "spacecraft" designed for light year traveling made out of wood or paper. I guess what I'm saying is that any spacecraft "built" by the Thing, would be made & driven/flown by a form with hands/appendages etc. Not some crazy mess of a form.

It's so weird that the Thing is just a shape shifter with no real "body" to call home.

Now for other pot smoking questions. Was it born? Are there others? or is it a one of a kind, just kinda there being. Did it start as a small little cell size & just kept growing? What part of the mass is brain? Or does it take over the brain of it's victim? Because how the hell does it know how to build the dam spacecraft to begin with?

:D

Because if you think about, that dam spacecraft part of the story opens up a whole new world. At least the guys finding the being from "another planet" attacking doing its terror. Is plausible (horror movie speaking) It makes sense that aliens crashed landed on Earth and the Thing was a disease/creature that broke out of it's containment box during the collision. That would make sense. ... But the fact that the spaceship IS the Thing's spaceship. (explained by the characters/story) Throws a whole other curve. Makes a lot more sense the other way, with The Thing NOT the owner of the spacecraft.

And just like that I think I just ruined both the original & the prequel for myself. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Why the fuck would it have to take any particular form to fly the goddamn spaceship? As long as it knows what buttons to push, it can push them with its claws, tentacles, fingers, or dick for all the difference it would make.

10. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Zillamon51, for some reason the word "tonkusatsu" in your signature caught my eye, but I read it as "tonkatsu" and got really confused. OK, it must be lunch time.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

finally got around to seeing this on netflix.

the cgi didn't bother me at all. it was well-made, acted, and directed, and I have a soft spot for Mary Elizabeth Winstead. it certainly seemed very respectful of the original, and tried to tie itself into it as much as it could.

but i'm not sure what the point was in making it. it's not like it added anything at all. and we all know how its going to end, so there's not much chance of becoming invested in the characters or their attempts to survive/kill the alien.

and what the hell was the point of the last scene with Winstead's character? Are we supposed to assume she dies? Or does she make it to the Russian base and survive? Leaving it ambiguous at the end makes no sense, though. If they'd shown her making it to safety, at least that would have been something to justify the story being told.

12. wago70

I was just irritated by the fact that The Thing has no problem doing everyone in but the lead female character. The Thing actually takes the time to smack her around or drag her around the ship when it simply impaled and slaughtered the rest of the cast in a flash. Lazy direction/script.
    The rest of the film was Sy-Fy channel goodness.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

After re-watching this a few weeks back I thought that
    SPOILER
    it was likely she dies at the end. She's basically stranded in the snow so it seems unlikely she'd make it.
    END SPOILER

It is a silly thing to just leave open like that considering this is a prequel. Another thing that pissed me off is that they cut out the scene of the guy slitting his wrists which makes seeing him frozen at the end pretty confusing. I thought that was a pretty important scene to have in the film, no idea why they removed it.