The Tingler

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Apr 5, 2004.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh man, you have to love William Castle. He took part film, part performance art, and merged the two in simple, yet effective ways. I watched this DVD for the first time tonight, and in some ways it worked, and other ways not. It's just difficult to live vicariously, forty years too late for the effect of sitting in a sit, rigged to vibrate at key moments to scare the living crap out of you.

The story of the Tingler is silly beyond belief. Sometimes you wonder how Vincent Price kept a straight face. However you to remember that William castle lived in the moment, his movies crossed over from the screen into the theater. Transcending 3D cinema, his films literally reached into the very seats people were sitting in. It's hard to experience that now, of course.

Judged purely on the merits of the film, it's hard to recommend The Tingler. Oh sure, it has it's moments. The scene in the bathroom (which is strangely not even mentioned in the 15 featurette) is pretty darn amazing, for instance. Most of all though, when watching it, you're basically revelling in the crazy world of William Castle, a man who thought the experience of a film was not over when the final edit was done. The dude would haunt you right in the cinema!

A great DVD, by the way. Looks good, some nice extras. Recommended to those hooked on classic cinema. You know who you are!

2. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I always look at this one when I'm at BB but I end up putting it back. I like Vincent Price and some of the other William Castle films but this the plot on this one sounds really stupid. I hear some good reviews of it though now and then so maybe I will pick it up if the price is good.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The plot is beyond stupid - there is no doubt at all about that. Actually, you have to wonder how Price kept a straight face. As I mentioned, long before audiences were singing and dancing along to Rocky Horror Picture Show, William Castle wasw connecting with his audience, and getting them to participate, even if they didn't want to.

When watching this film, you have to keep in mind how the film must have worked, at the time, with a live audience. It's a participation piece, not a standalone movie. In other words, the plot is secondary to the whole. If you concentrate simply on the plot, you might well not enjoy it at all. It is silly beyond belief, even for horror films of the time. I'm glad to have it, it's a wonderful slice of genre history.

4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

It's definently a silly movie but it's an enjoyable one too. I love the bathroom scene and Price is good as usual even if the story is totally wack.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, here's a fun thing. Years and years and years ago (yes, I've been alive that long) someone told me about this horrifying scene they had seen in a film, involving, you know, hands. All these years I had no idea wat film it was - until THIS film cropped up. I was thrilled just to have finally seen it.

I think we can agree, the story takes the absurd, and goes WAAAAAAYYYYYYY out of left lane to make it more absurd :D

6. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

The B&W sequence was shot in color ... everything was painted grey (well something like that) to make it look like B&W so they could get that BLOOD RED effect.

I haven't seen the DVD but a few years ago a new print turned up that digitally made the scene B&W so as to be even more effective since I guess it looked "strange" otherwise ... i.e., not 100% B&W

I'm assuming the DVD is the digitally re-touched version of that scene.

Not sure I ever saw it as it originally was. I have a VHS copy I got from TNT or TBS (cable TV) and I know it is the digital re-touched version based on article I read in VIDEO WATCHDOG.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I remember one of my friends picked this up once because he heard it was really bad so I watched it expecting something horrible, when in reality I found a very good entertaining film.

That's not to say it doesn't have any flaws, but for what it was I found it quite enjoyable.

8. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I love this film, it's a lot of fun, but VP is my fave actor so...*shrugs*

I give it a 4.5/5, no joke.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--The B&W sequence was shot in color ... everything was painted grey (well something like that) to make it look like B&W so they could get that BLOOD RED effect.--

Thanks for that. The scene works wonderfully, no matter how it was done. I think the fact that there's that splash of color really helps the film. Castle rules. :D

10. FulciZombieFan

Yes that was a really cool thing to do!

Also I just realized that maybe my original post didn't make 100% sense. The digital version made everything black and white and then they "painted" the blood red digitally.

But like I said in reality it was shot in color (no digital effects way back then) and every was painted to look B/W otherthan the blood of course!

I guess it must not have looked "perfect" hence the digital tooling around which happened just a few years ago (mid to late 90's I think).

I too like the film alot :)

11. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

This is one of the few Vincent Price horror movies that I haven't seen.Hopefully I can change that sometime soon :)

12. FulciZombieFan

Would it help you to RUSH out and buy it if I told you that there is a scene in the movie where Vincent Price's character decideds to do LCD so he can trip and therefore SCARE himself since he claims it is the only way he can imagine that he can TRUELY scare himself (this is for a scientific test of course).

Gotta love THAT scene :)

VP tripping :D

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it's classic.

14. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I remember seeing that scene before in another movie about horror movies :)