the tomie series- need some help

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by othervoice1, Mar 7, 2005.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Ive been interested in checking this series out- I actually hear the original may be the worst of the bunch???? i believe there are 5 movies in the series- in what order are they and and in what order would you rank best to worst? thanx all in advance!

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

The films are all pretty much standalone, but they would technically go like this:

Tomie
    Tomie: Replay
    Tomie: Rebirth
    Tomie: Forbidden Fruit

Tomie: Another Face came out the same year as the original, but it's an anthology of sorts, with 3 different stories. You could watch that whenever, basically.

I've seen the original, Replay and Rebirth so far, and out of the 3, the original is DEFINITELY the worst. It's extremely boring and plodding. Replay is better, but still not a great film by any means. Rebirth would have to be my favorite so far, but it still only gets a 3.5/5 out of me. Again, they all have really methodical pacing, even more so than other Asian horror IMO, as I love Asian horror, and Asian films in general, and for 95% of the films, the pacing doesn't bother me at all. It could be because in these films, there's generally NEVER a moment when the pace picks up, or when there's some sort of pay-off.

Since you really don't need to watch these in any order, I'd recommend Rebirth, for the sole fact that it's the best of the 3 I've seen, and it's cool seeing Takashi Shimizu doing something other than a Ju-On film. I suppose Replay could be worth a look as well...some people seem to like it more than me, and I'd have to say it's the closest to Ito's manga, with a few twisted visuals to be had.

3. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

tomie forbidden fruit and and the 3rd tomie are the best

4. Luna

Luna Guest

I really enjoyed Tomie: Forbidden Fruit. I haven't seen the rest, with the exception of the first Tomie, which due to poor subtitles was barely understandable for me.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I rented the first movie in the series awhile back, but haven't yet seen any of the rest in the series. I enjoyed the first one some, but didn't love it. How do the others compare to the original? Do they have a fairly original plot for each film, or are they just bland repeat sequels?

6. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

they go like different stories with different characters that have some how known tomie

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Now I'm kind of kicking myself

I saw the first Tomie, and while I liked it, I didn't really feel a need to check out all the others, especially since there's so many of them. But now you guys tell me Rebirth is the best of the series, and this past weekend I was at a DVD parking lot sale and Rebirth was one of the movies they had. Shoulda picked it up...

8. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

you should pick up all of them in my opioin

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the newest ones Tomie the beginning and Tomie Revenge yet? I just wondered if they are any good