The Ulitimate Hammer Collection

Discussion in 'Classic' started by LivingDeadMafia, Sep 26, 2006.

1. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

Further Details:
    Optimum Home Entertainment has announced the release of Ultimate Hammer Boxed Set for the 23rd of October, priced at around £149.99. A complete list of films is included below.

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb
    Demons Of The Mind
    The Devil Rides Out
    Dracula, Prince Of Darkness
    Fear In The Night
    Frankenstein Created Woman
    The Horror Of Frankenstein
    The Nanny
    One Million Years BC
    Plague Of The Zombies
    Slave Girls (aka Prehistoic Women)
    Quatermass And The Pit
    Rasputin, The Mad Monk
    The Reptile
    The Scars of Dracula
    SHE
    Straight On Til Morning
    To The Devil A Daughter
    The Vengeance Of SHE
    Viking Queen
    The Witches

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ultimate-hammer-boxed-set.html

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I can think of several dozen ways that collection could be more "ultimate".

3. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

i agree, there is only one movie in there i want, Quatermass And The Pit, and i only own 6 of those, i still wont be getting it.

4. maybrick

I just don't see how they can get away with calling it the "Ultimate Hammer Box Set" when it doesn't even contain big titles like HORROR OF DRACULA or CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Erm, because of all the Hammer box sets out there - this is the best? If you don't have those films, then this is the ultimate set. Or are we going to statr complaining special effects don't make our eyes actually pop? :lol:

No interest here though. With rights issues etc, it's asking too much for it to have all the Hammer titles, or even the most well known ones. Good set, but no dice.

6. maybrick

I've no idea what you're talking about here.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hm, other than the fact that I have wobbly fingers and they sometimes press the wrong keys, I think it's quite clear :confused:

But really, it's not a big deal. This is a good collection - many of these titles are getting their first UK release with this set. For the region crippled, it might well do. It's not something most of us care about though.

8. cricart

cricart Guest

There are some R2 releases in the UK that are worth mentioning:

Twins of evil- on 10/09
    Curse of the mummy's tomb- 10/23
    Dracula, Prince of Darkness - 10/23 This is supposed to be anamorphic widescreen

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I was thinking about grabbing this set as you can get it for pretty cheap now at Amazon.uk. I'm actually glad it doesn't contain the more Popular Hammer titles, as I already have them. Has anyone picked this up? If so how do you find the overall Audio/Video?

10. maybrick

I opted for "The Best of Hammer" which is available on Amazon.uk right now for about a third of the price. Most of the titles in the larger "Ultimate" collection I already owned on DVD (and the rest I wouldn't want to own anyways) and from what I hear quite a few of them are a mixed bag a/v-wise. The Reptile is supposed to look particularly atrocious. With the Best of collection you get The Nanny, Dracula Prince of Darkness, The Devil Rides Out, Quatermass and the Pit, and Frankenstein Created Woman. Out of them all, only FCW has REAL video quality problems although they all have brightness issues that can be overcome by adjusting your settings. For instance, I usually have the brightness levels set at 50-60% on my tv, but when I watched Dracula POD I had to dial it back to 25%. If I remember correctly the problem varies from movie to movie.

Overall, I'd say for roughly $20 the Best of Collection, even when you discount Frankenstein Created Women, has pretty good bang for your buck and worth the money. The Ultimate Collection, I'm not as sure of seeing as how only about half the movies are really worth owning, in all honesty.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I was thinking of the The Best of Hammer collection but then I thought Hell I only own 5 of the 21 films at the moment, might as well go for the entire set. Amazon.uk is selling it for like £29 plus £3 shipping with the British pound low right now how could you go wrong? The reviews I read overall have been pretty good give or take the odd mediocre transfer. (The Amazon.uk reviews are almost all 5 star). I wish I could find a site that compares the transfers to there R1 counterparts.

12. maybrick

The big thing that stopped me from buying the Ultimate is that most of the films (at least the good ones) have better transfers elsewhere. There's a line of German Hammer discs (specifically Dracula POD) that's supposed to look phenomenal in comparison to the Ultimates but I can't afford them. $5 US per title is about what I'm willing to spend at the moment.

Most of the titles in this collection were handled well by Anchor Bay, but you still have to watch out for the ones that were produced back in the 90s. Most of those were mastered for laserdisc and not for anamorphic widescreen television viewing and look pretty cruddy on DVD.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Do you have a link to that Dracula Prince of Darkness DVD? I don't see it on the German Amazon site.

Also can you tell me if the Prince of Darkness that came with your set is Anamorphic?

14. maybrick

I believe this is the one. 60 Euros? Ouch! I think it's gone way up in price since I last checked it out:
    http://www.amazon.de/Blut-für-Dracu...=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265831598&sr=8-10

My Prince of Darkness is indeed anamorphic.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah that's crazy. The three review sites at DVD basen only give the image quality a 3/5 on that German DVD. I think we might have to wait till it goes to blu-ray before we get a definitive version.

16. maybrick

Maybe it was a different one then. I don't know. I could swear that somebody somewhere rated it higher than either the US or UK discs.

edit: yeah I remembered wrong. It was an Italian release I was thinking of. This thread over at avmaniacs has some pretty detailed info complete with comparisons between the UK Ultimate Collection, German Anolis, and the newer Italian disc.
    http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34282&highlight=Dracula+Anolis

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah your right the UK disc is bit too bright. Thanks for the link. Actually from those screen shots the German disk may look the best.

18. maybrick

You think so? I don't know, I think the guy may be right about the German transfer being almost unwatchably dark. The outdoor footage is passable because it's meant to look like it's night, but the interior shots are another thing entirely.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The last example does look a bit dark but the first two look good IMO. I thought the flesh tones looked a bit too redish in the Italian transfer. He Also says he doesn't have a very good AV setup so I guess we can't take those screen shots as the be all end all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010