The Unborn

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Feb 13, 2005.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The Unborn is the latest movie from Asia I have given a viewing too. My wife isn't a great horror fan, but she really likes the asian films, so they give me a rare opportunity to watch with my loved one.

The Unborn fits somewhere in the middle of my asian collection. I thought it was good, but not great. At the end of the day, it's very much a psychological thriller with some ghosts thrown in, than it is a horror film.

We do have a reimaging of Argento's great underwater scene from Inferno to play with. Also, the classic scene from the same Argento classic - where a murderer is in close proximity to a victim, with the lights coming off and on - is replayed very effectively.

However, some might be disapointed that at the end of the day, the ghosts exist only to push the story forward, it's not really about them (if that makes any sense - trying not to give too much away here). Also, for the first time, I felt as though my lack of knowledge about the Thai culture hurt my appreciation of the film (for those that have seen it, I'm talking mainly about the use of lucky tokens at gambling dens). Also, running water seems to have a significance, in this movie, there's a brief scene with the washing of finger tips that I didn't quite understand.

Still, it does have its moments, including one "birthing" scene that reminded me of Begotten. Not an asian film in the top ranks then, but enjoyable none the less, and worth seeing if you find it cheaply enough.

ps: The opening title sequence is excellent.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I wasn't impressed with this movie at all. In fact, if anyone wants my copy (it's Region 3), PM me and maybe we can make a trade

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:D Nice one. Don't you think that people who are stupid enough to fall for that get all they deserve?

4. geeare

geeare Guest

OK so I have never seen this movie but I hear it is getting the Hollywood treatment. Someone here in my office saw the trailer and said it looked pretty cool. Can anyone confirm that this is a remake of this asian flick? how bad could it be, it's got Gary Oldman in it. THE UNBORN (2009)

5. Spit

Spit Active Member

Happened upon the trailer for this. Apparently it opens tomorrow.

Looks like it might have some cool monsters and jump scares in it. I might end up checking this out if the reviews are good.

http://www.theunbornmovie.net/

Anyone who does check this out, please keep us updated. :D

6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I'm pretty sure The Unborn that's coming out this weekend isn't a remake and has no connection to this film.

7. Spit

Spit Active Member

Ah! thanks for the update KamuiX! Does this mean Hollywood actually came up with an original idea for a horror film?!?! In this land slide of remakes.... I'm shocked...and a little scared :x

8. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I'm shocked & scarred at the too much time you got on your hands. :eek:

9. Spit

Spit Active Member

School starts in 5 days then poof no more time. Sides, you should talk :p

10. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

:rolleyes: