THE UNNAMABLE (1988), NIGHTWISH (1989) and THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (1990) Come to Blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Aug 17, 2017.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

From my Cinema Arcana FB page :

Though Unearthed Films has been around for fifteen years, the company’s recent focus has been the distribution of newer, challenging horror titles and the full-on production of similar content, like their successful AMERICAN GUINEA PIG series. However, head honcho Stephen Biro recently teased that they’re “taking a chance” and getting back to their roots with the 4K restorations of a triptych of Paul White productions, all fondly remembered from the VHS era.

First up is Jean-Paul Ouellette’s much-requested Lovecraft adaptation, THE UNNAMABLE (1988). The film follows a group of Miskatonic college kids who decide to stay the night in their local “haunted” mansion. Unfortunately for them, the old stories are true, and there really is a pissed-off, winged beastie stalking the grounds. Can they make it back to class alive? Packed with gothic atmosphere, gory set-pieces and a truly memorable monster, THE UNNAMABLE definitely earns its spot on your shelf.

Second is Bruce R. Cook’s NIGHTWISH (1989), which finds more college kids placed in peril after visiting a dilapidated estate. This time they’re on location for a professor’s out-there experiments, planning to battle the supernatural with science. And there are aliens, or something. It’s all kind of strange, but there’s plenty of gooey KNB FX to keep you occupied!

Lastly is D.J. Webster’s sci-fi terror, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (1990). In the way-off future of 2022, a space crew accidentally travels to the titular eclipse, a sort of astrological Bermuda Triangle that wreaks havoc with their ship’s functionality. When team members start showing up dead, it becomes readily apparent something sinister is at play. A surprisingly creepy, well-made horror definitely deserves some wider recognition!

A solid trio of films, and though my VHS tapes have served me well all these years, I’m glad to see them all spruced up for Blu. Let’s hope they do well enough to encourage Unearthed to attempt similar titles in the future – I mean, I’m all for exposing newer genre fare to wider audiences, too, but this stuff is much more my speed! Watch this site for further details!

[​IMG]

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Always liked Nightwish. Also Elizabeth Kaitan!

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I second Nightwish, looking forward to revisiting this in a good quality print, I've seen it once on the very rare UK VHS entitled 'Grave' Misdemeanours', definitely picking this up,

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

You may be thinking of Night Life, one of the best horror films that is still MIA on disc.

Nightwish is a strange one. I don't remember it making a lot of sense. I mostly just remembered people standing in a circle in the basement of a cabin around a green glowing thing.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Night Life really needs a digital release.
    Nice creepy atmosphere, and cool FX.
    The late 80:s (and early 90:s) was pretty mediocre, when it came to horror movies, but this was one of the good ones.

I found Nightwish on youtube, but I could barely make it through the first 30-40 minutes, before shutting it off.
    The characters was annoying and unlikable.
    An easy pass.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

People have been asking for these movies for years. Everybody just assumed it was next to impossible or improbable since the rumor mill was that Lionsgate had these. You can't write something off just because there hasn't been a release. So I wonder what else these guys have up their sleeves.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Your right, damn, I was so exited when I saw that I put 2 and 2 together and got 15!!!!!! Ow well, sums up my day today.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I am definitely in for The Unnamable. Unsure about Nightwish & Dark Side of the Moon, both of which I have never seen.

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I had Dark Side of the Moon on my hit list, based on vague descriptions and scattered chat, for many years. Naturally the title made for difficult searching when trying to find information on a DVD/Blu release. Particularly when the only readily available versions were cheap German language only editions.

Finally I obtained a boot leg, to at least watch the thing and see if it was worth pursuing. It wasn't, by a wide margin. Even by bad 80s movie standards it stunk, I ended up rating it 1 star out of 4 and purged it from my collection.

I'm sure others regard the movie higher than I did, but I saw neither "so bad its good" potential (Troll 2) nor having stand out bits despite overall being bad (Galaxy of Terror), and definitely knew I'd never re-watch it.

The Unnamable I also ended up purging, but rated significantly higher, 2 stars out of 4. Mainly I thought it was worth watching once, but was fairly certain I'd never watch it again and thus didn't need to keep it. Same with the sequel, which I rated 2 1/2 stars out of 4 (the usual balance point rating where it may stay in my collection or get kicked out, mainly based on whether I think I'll ever re-watch it).

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.