The Video Dead on DVD in Oct!?

Discussion in 'General' started by chrismac87, Jul 21, 2009.

1. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I don't know if this is a DVD for the band, The Video Dead, or for the film itself but Amazon.com has a listing for the "Video Dead" on DVD due out October 17, 2009.

I have to gloat and ask, is it true!? Can it be this 80s piece of cult trash is finally making its way to the digital format???

Here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/Video-Dead/dp/B002I41KV4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248200320&sr=1-7

Anyone? Info?

I was made aware MGM owned the film at one point in time and right now it says the distributor is "Music Video Dist" which is making me think that it is in fact something to do with the band and not the film itself but when I do a search to see if the band has any DVDs planned, nothing comes up. Same with the film though.

So details are obviously sketchy, any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I still think MGM owns the film. I saw their 16x9 Hi-Def print of The Video Dead and it looked amazing.
    Either way, a DVD release is long overdue!

3. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I just called the company distributing it, MVD, and it IS in fact the 1987 film, THE VIDEO DEAD which will be in WIDESCREEN!

No special features as of yet but it is confirmed, I repeat THE VIDEO DEAD will FINALLY be on DVD this October, in a widescreen transfer!!!

WHOOT! :banana:

Here's some actual info on the site; http://mvdb2b.com/search/item.php?SESSION_NO=RWFN4EURDUNDRWD4WUBN4M944&STOCK_NO=64885DVD

I'm not digging that cover art but that's why I have my custom!!!

4. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

This is awesome news. Don't care what the price is - gotta have it!!

The film isn't deserving of Oscars, but I have fond memories and it's great nostalgia. Now what about other minor classics from the '80s being given quality releases - like Ghost Town and The Kindred?

October is certainly going to be an expensive month, but an enjoyable one!

5. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Sounds cheestastic, a must buy for me! :D

6. FulciLuvver

FulciLuvver Member

This is a bootleg guys...completely illegal. MVD is distributing this release, but it is manufactured by Televista, which is Jef Films. They are longtime bootleggers and rip-off artists.

MGM owns this film for home video and this is a completely unlicensed and unsanctioned release.

7. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Well if that's the case, I hope the widescreen transfer isn't from Monsters HD with logos included!

If it's the same transfer with no logos, I'll be thrilled. A bootleg or not, MGM's not putting this out on DVD anytime soon - at least someone is.

8. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Already have a *cough, cough* bootleg of Video Dead with a much better cover. It's pretty decent quality, and I don't plan on buying another copy, even if it is widescreen.

9. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Jef films does offer some seriously shitty output (Pranks,AKA Dorm That Dripped Blood looked awful,sounded like it was recorded in a tin-lined tunnel,and lacked several snippets of juicy gore that even the original VHS had)..Worse yet,their discs are wildly overpriced,and difficult as hell to locate.

That said,the cover art for one of my all-time fave cheese classicks (Video Dead) is surprisingly eye-catching,and due to my love of the film,I will have to make it a blind buy.I doubt we'll get anything in the realm of the Monsters HD transfer,as they usually do a direct VHS port, but we'll just have to see.

10. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Well apparently JEF Films is long out of business, the owner reportedly died in a fire a year ago and Televista just acquired some of their films.

As I said, according to the distributor, the DVD will be in widescreen - NOT full, so hopefully this is an honest to goodness remastered widescreen print. I don't even care about special features, just as long as it's not a port of the Monsters HD print - with logos and all - or a video version cropped into widescreen.

11. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Good to hear..(not about the owner's death,but..y'know.) Seeing this in widescreen would be quite a revelation.You don't care about special features? LOL All these years,I've been waiting to hear from Roxanna Augesen(who now works as an attorney under the name Roxanna Manuel,I think) what her motivation was for the "serving zombies dog food under the claim of a recipe that's been in her family for generations" scene.

*Update:Just found this (she looks the same!):
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rev=/images?q=roxanna+manuel&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

And this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFhab0Ideg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

awesome news

13. Awesome, and it's on Amazon! I'mm snatch it up once it becomes available :D

14. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Honestly this is just one of those films I just want on DVD with a nice widescreen transfer. I saw the Monsters HD print and was just blown away, I mean just look at the difference;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video version on the left, Monsters HD on the right.

Not only does the film look fantastic but it's actually in WIDESCREEN, not cropped from full.

I really hope this is a legit widescreen transfer and not a cropped one. I'll be uber pissed if it isn't.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  15. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Quite a difference.Here's hoping..

16. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

What??! what!??!?! this is amazing!!!!!!! almost all of the horror movies we want on DVD are coming true!!!!!!!! this is fantastic news!!!!!!!!! :banana:

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i hope it is remastered widescreen transfer because if mgm was releasing it it would be but since it is music video dist it may be a fullscreen vhs to dvd transfer i hope not though

18. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I tried asking them if they knew anything about the transfer but the apparently do not, they are just distributing the title - they didn't do any work on it and I cannot find any contact information for Televista so we'll just have to wait and see it seems.

19. I was thinkin' the exact same thing about this year. I'm gonna go make an "to order within the next few weeks" page on my large notebooks of titles that I order off Amazon, cause I don't wanna be forgetful. In fact I'm gonna do it right now. This is awesome news about The Video Dead.:D

20. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

Jef films will most likely use a worn ex-rental vhs tape and will look no diffrent the ones you already have on dvd-r. Save your money. Release like this is spit on the face to company who work hard cleaning movies up like Blue Underground, Synapse, Dark Sky, ect.