The Video Dead on DVD in Oct!?

Discussion in 'General' started by chrismac87, Jul 21, 2009.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw the full list of added Netflix titles over at Dread Central.

Another cheesy underrated gem on there is the female wilderness survival flick Blood Games. Fun little movie, I don't believe it has ever been released on DVD.

2. killit

killit Active Member

This movie is like troll 2 part one

3. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Okay folks, so as you all know it's been over a year since I started the campaign to get THE VIDEO DEAD released on DVD here in the U.S. by MGM.

Well after more than a year is passed the only thing MGM has done with the film is shown it once on MGM HD last November, and just recently put it on Netflix available to watch instantly.

For me it was a total score to have both these things happen, but at the same time a let down because in the back of my mind I've always feared this is all they were going to do with it and at this point, I truly believe the Netflix instant streaming is as far as it's going to go with them.

With that being said, I'm by no means giving up. There is a company overseas some of you may or not be familiar with that has been releasing cult horror films in the last year, they are a fan run company with a message board community that they check daily to see what their fans want on the discs their producing. Right down to the alternate cover art they use, what features, what kind of a release, etc. Yes folks, the company is Arrow Video whom has an interest in releasing the film on DVD and potentially Blu Ray(!) Can you imagine seeing THE VIDEO DEAD in high def? I mean I can't imagine it getting much better.

The cool thing about Arrow is they've allowed me to post a poll on their forum - http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-suggestions/3547-video-dead-1987-a.html - where I've opened a poll to vote for THE VIDEO DEAD on DVD or Blu Ray - or both - and all they need is a few hundred votes pressing for the film, to gain enough interest for them to seek out the rights and finally get it released.

Now I know for some of you getting it released overseas isn't something that's going to benefit you if it only happens on DVD, being it would be a Region 2 locked disc - however, their Blu Rays are REGION FREE and can be viewed anywhere in the world. So it makes the effort to get it released on Blu Ray just that much more enticing for those involved. I mean really how cool would it be to have THE VIDEO DEAD on Blu Ray?

Seriously, don't think much could match that....well at least for me!

So all you have to do is go on to the Cult Lab Forums, register and vote on the poll for THE VIDEO DEAD to be released on DVD, Blu Ray or both. My vote went for the "both" option which it appears most are going for as well.

So here's the link to the forum;

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums

And here is the direct link to the thread concerning THE VIDEO DEAD if you are already a member;

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-suggestions/3547-video-dead-1987-a.html

Thanks once again guys for all your support. I have a really good feeling about this and I'm confident if the numbers are there, we'll be holding this 80s cult gem in our hands sooner than later.

Chris M.

4. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Signed up on the Cult Labs forum and voted Yes to DVD and Blu. Hopefully enough votes will come through to get a release!

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Voted for both! ;)

6. springjack

springjack New Member

You made the best choice.

Arrow Video is the best company.

I have all of their releases and I can confir that they do listen to what fans say in their foruns...
    ________
    BUY SILVER SURFER

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Small update.

Looks like THE VIDEO DEAD will be removed from Netflix soon - they apparently were not given the rights to put it up and MGM is currently working on removing it from the site. So for anyone out there who hasn't had the chance to sit down and watch it, I'd highly recommend doing so.

Despite the fact that the film has over 5,000 rating votes - a mass email was sent out to the fans on Facebook as well as MySpace asking to rate the film which appealed to more folks than joining up MySpace again apparently - they still haven't made any plans to release it on DVD. Blu Ray here in the states is impossible, so really Arrow is the only chance it would have on that format.

So don't forget to head over to Arrow's forums located here and vote for THE VIDEO DEAD in the polls!

Anyways, just keeping everyone up to date.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

looks like this is on comcast on demand in hd and sd i heard the hd versions looks great

hopefully 2011 will be the year the video dead finally comes out on dvd from mgm

9. springjack

springjack New Member

Only believe that when I see it.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah, with the direction the market is going, unless this gets a Blu-ray release, I can only see this as a digital download in the future.

11. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I was all for supporting the release of this film on DVD/Blu-Ray until I actually SAW it on Netflix awhile back...
    But best of luck chrismac!

12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I have to say, when I started the campaign to get THE VIDEO DEAD released on DVD, going on now two years ago, I never thought I would have gone as far as I did or still be talking about it now. It's kind of surreal that people still come to me about the potential release, still finding out about the campaign, still discovering the film on Netflix, some loving, others hating it. I tell you it's been a wild ride.

The most surreal part to me is that the ride isn't even over yet, as far as I can tell, far from it. I'm not one to give up on something or feel right about moving on without accomplishing my goal(s) - so I am sticking with this as I have until we all have a copy of this flick, a legitimate copy rather, in our cold, rotted hands.

Generally speaking I try not to talk about the campaign on here unless I have some news and while I do have news, it is not the news I'd imagine some of you are going to welcome with open arms but I do consider it another step further.

I just received information that a studio by the name of Irreversible Pictures based out of Germany is planning a release of THE VIDEO DEAD later this year! Now as far as I can tell, it's a DVD release only and while it's not a stateside release, I'm sure those with region free players will be happy to include this release in their collection. Pending of course they offer the English speaking version of the film and it isn't another release a la Laser Paradise transferred from a dark, murky tape.

I'll post more information as I receive it - but this is unfortunately all I have for you folks right now.

I appreciate everyone on here who has supported the campaign for these past few years, your support means a lot and is really one of the main driving forces behind getting this film finally released on DVD.

If anyone is interested, my radio show is going to be hosting a commentary for the film in June featuring several of the cast members and a few crew members as well. I'll post more on that as the date is finalized and such.

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! :)

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

yes thanks for the update, have fond memories of this movie and would love to see any form of disc release, so i wait with baited breath for the german release. let's hope they include the english language soundtrack.

15. Video Dead

Yes, the Video Dead is now owned by MGM. That other release was a bootleg and was stopped by MGM. There have been several people working on getting a legal (widescreen) release. MGM has made it avaialable from Netflix and will soon make it available on DVD ordered directly from them. That's the scoop.

Lory-Michael Ringuette
    aka Half-Creeper/Mover #1

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

COOL INFO Thanx for the update

17. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

You have to admire this man's commitment to this project. Even though I did not like The Video Dead at all I can't help but give him a lot of credit for getting behind this film.

18. dentists

dentists Member

someone is selling a factory pressed DVD on ebay.
    I might check this out since we'll never get a physical DVD in our hands

19. dentists

dentists Member

20. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Ah, it's that cancelled MVD release. Someone musta been lucky.