The Video Dead on DVD in Oct!?

Discussion in 'General' started by chrismac87, Jul 21, 2009.

1. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

It's a full screen VHS to DVD rip, the poor soul that's stuck with that is anything far from lucky, considering you can get just that from just about anywhere else for a fraction of the price.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Tonight at 9pm (EST) - Creep Show Radio is proud to present an exclusive commentary track for the film that sets out to prove just how bad television is for your health!

THE VIDEO DEAD

Join the cast and crew of this 80s cult classic while they take a stroll once again down Shady Lane with the ghastly gang of zombies that turn a once quiet tree lined street upside down. So don't wait, fast forward into the scary cult thrill zone with THE VIDEO DEAD!

3. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

LOL I grew up on Shady Lane.

4. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Well, turns out a friend of mine is the one who ended up picking up the DVD listed on eBay and he was kind enough to send me some screen caps.

Here is what everyone has been "missing" in terms of that disc being cancelled;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the black line on the side of the screen that is there throughout the entire film apparently, the video noise at the bottom not to mention my friend claimed the transfer also has several tracking errors and audio blips complete with that glorious interlacing everyone loves so much. I guess if anyone was interested in seeing a genuine, nostalgic video presentation - this is the release to get.

So for everyone who is still upset this release got canceled...sorry.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I could just do a preservation DVD if you provide me the HD source.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

well better this release than no release

7. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Actually considering this release was retailing for about $24.95 and the various bootlegs of the film can vary anywhere from $10-15 depending - I'd say that that statement is quite bold considering the bootleg versions out there are of much better quality.

It looks like they got whatever tape they could have and just did a straight up video to DVD conversion - a poor one at that.

You'd be a lot better off buying a bootleg if you're intending on purchasing this release, you'd at least get a superior transfer.

8. fceurich39

9. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

i was lucky enough to find a copy of the netflix version of video dead while surfing around the net . it looks pretty good but it "shudders" , especially when you convert it to dvd

here's some screen caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Here are screencaps from the HD version;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  11. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

Ah! I want that HD version badly! :(

12. fceurich39

yep i got that version and i made a official looking mgm dvd complete cover art but anyway thanks to chrismac87 and the now:cry:fleshwound video closed shop:cry:

13. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

What do you mean thanks to me??? I never supplied you with that version of the film and furthermore, the only version Flesh Wound Video carried was a version originally with VHS footage spliced in then later with footage from the HD broadcast that still used two standard definition masters.

The version I'm posting screen caps of is a pure 1080p HD source, neither of the Flesh Wound Video releases had this copy and I certainly wouldn't give it out to anyone.

14. nateynate87

nateynate87 New Member

Speaking of the Netflix version mentioned a few posts up, I thought I read somewhere a few months back that it was being pulled because netflix never got permission to put it up? But it appears to still be available.

I'm guessing that was just a rumor then and it's there to stay?

15. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

The rep I spoke with at MGM told me that and obviously she was mistaken.

I know there are/were - not sure on the status at this point - rights issues with music cues that at one point in time, was being worked on to rectify and I think she thought Netflix was not a form of distribution they had the rights to use the film for. As far as I know the cues in question were only licensed to them for theatrical and television purposes only, which may still be the cause this hasn't seen the light of day on DVD as of yet.

I don't understand how MGM can outright purchase a film in a catalog and not obtain the rights for ALL methods of distribution, especially since the deal was struck in 2005 when DVD was well into its prime. I also don't understand why they'd be willing to spend $10,000 on a transfer and only mean to use it on television and not actually release it to the public to purchase. But who am I to criticize their practices???

16. fceurich39

yep i got those as well as a 1080p HD source blu-ray transfer as well from my uncle see your not the only one who loves this movie

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  17. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Yeah never thought I was the only one, as a matter of fact there's at least 1,700 people on MySpace and close to another 400 on Facebook - not to
    mention the 21,000 so people who have seen and rated the film on Netflix.

Funny thing is, when you told me you got the 1080p source, it was from a friend who recorded it for you, strange now how "friend" turned to "uncle". But who am I to nitpick???

18. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Just watched this on netflix this morning. Pretty decent transfer, but the film is nothing special. The film is great in the morning with a cup of coffee and a cigarette though. Anyone else here stream from their 360? I had some trouble with the black levels. They were more grey than black, but just a switch to intermediate and they were fine. It's just going to get annoying switching back and forth in the reference level menu everytime I want to play a game or watch a movie, since games look better on standard, but that gives me the grey-blacks while watching netflix. Anyone else have a similar problem?

19. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Does anyone know if this is getting released even as a MOD?

20. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Currently, no, there are music rights issues that MGM has yet to clear up. The songs used in the film were licensed for theatrical and analog distribution, not digital. So they have no rights to release it on a digital format until they clear those rights up.

Since the two bands that provided music for the film were basically garage bands that flat out don't exist anymore, I don't see why anyone would even blink at it, wondering why they're music is there, etc. But it's one of those legalities that's going to continue to hold it up.

Did get some good news this morning on the UK front of things though...

The German distributor who was supposed to release it this year pushed the release back to sometime next year. Granted both releases are region 2, neither has confirmed if they're releasing it on Blu Ray yet but I've got high hopes. :)