The Virgin Spring

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Andrew, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ingmar Bergman's film from 1960 about rape, religion, and revenge is one that I've been meaning to see for a while, but just recently got ahold of. I have to say that while the film is rather slow, it builds to an interesting and highly rewarding climax. The film is full of memorable scenes, but two that struck me as particularly stellar where the conversation in which the friar describes hell to the boy who fears he will soon go there and the static shot of Max Von Sydow taking out his aggression on a slender tree. While it doesn't have the visceral impact of the semi-remake LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, the scene of retribution is highly powerful on a more emotional level. Also the theme of religion, which seems to be a common theme in Bergman's works, is highly present here. I did think, however, that the final scene where
    Sydow cries out asking God why he would allow these actions to take place, vows to build a church, and is acknowledged with the flow of a stream through the impression left on the ground by his dead daughter
    was a little heavy-handed. All in all though, I thought this was a very worthy effort. I'd like to know where everyone else who has seen this places the film in the rest of Bergman's oeuvre. Out of the four I've seen, I'd rank this right behind WILD STRAWBERRIES, neck-and-neck with THE SEVENTH SEAL, and slightly ahead of CRIES AND WHISPERS. I'm looking forward to the MGM box set as I've heard there are a few gems in there as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2004
  2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I've been meaning to see this one for a good while now. I didn't even know it was on DVD, and if I had, I would've gotten it a long time ago. Its nice to see that you liked it. I'll definitely be including it in my next order.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I watched The Virgin Spring this afternoon. I liked the last house on the left but this is really that film done right. The movie has some unforgettable images and has a lot to say about envy, lust, revenge and forgiveness. It didn't make me feel as dirty afterwards as LHOTL but it had a lasting impact nonetheless. Highly recommended.

4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Me and my friend had a "Bergman"-night once and watched this film and then Winter Lights afterwards. Loved The Virgin Spring, but I thought Winter Lights was horribly boring and pretentious. It was a few years ago, though, so I might have to rewatch it, but I doubt I will as I remember the experience as being excruciatingly long and painful ...

But The Virgin Spring was, to me, very powerful. I didn't see Last House until some years afterwards and I think having seen Bergman's film really makes a difference in the way you view it. It's lightyears behind Bergman in terms of filmmaking, naturally, but I think it's equally as strong. Both films pack a mighty punch.

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Great film, Bergman's a genius, one of the best directors of all-time. Not as good as Cries & Whispers as stated above, but it is among his best. A wonderful film.

And Winter Light is IMO in no way boring and pretentious. Many of Bergman's films are exactly like it, like one of his best films, Through a Glass Darkly. Bergman definitely isn't for everyone though, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a second chance :)

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It's funny how such a great film inpsired so many low budget and mostly bad rape revenge horror films. Last House being one of the few good ones.

Criterion just released their version on January 24, 2006

[​IMG]

7. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Hour Of The Wolf is brilliant, as is The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries.

8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yes, I probably will some day. Maybe I'll have another Bergman-night or something :p

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I saw this soon after my last post, and it replaced The Seventh Seal as my favorite Bergman film. It's such a beautiful piece of work, but it's also completely heartbreaking. Von Sydow is superb in what definitely ranks as one of his greatest performances. His expression of pure rage and anguish during the
    child throwing
    scene is unforgettable.

I bought the Criterion disc on day of release, but I have yet to check it out.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Criterion did a wonderful job with this DVD. The transfer is jaw droppingly beautiful, and the extras are top notch as always. This was my first time seeing this film and it was fantastic.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I just got a chance to watch my Criterion disc the other week and I loved this film. Beautifully shot and with a great acting cast. I love how it biulds from such a sweet innocence at the beginning to a climax filled with unbridled rage. Von Sydow, as usual, is an awesome force on screen. I'd have to say I like this film as much as Last House.. despite many of the obvious differences it is essentially the same story. I still need to watch my copy of Wild Strawberries and I plan to buy the MGM Bergman box set soon.

12. Still meaning to get this, one of my favorite films ever. But why are every Criterion discs are so expensive, anyway need to buy this soon along with Naked.

13. Noto

Noto Guest

I've been meaning to pick this up at retail, but I can't find it anywhere. I buckled down and placed an order at DDD tonight.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I watched Hour Of The Wolf the other night and I didn't get it. That being said, I didn't like it. Am I handicapped? :cry:

15. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh wow, I loved Hour of the Wolf. In fact, I've loved every Bergman film I've seen so far. I'll definitely be checking out this DVD as well.

16. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I'm with you, Herb. Saw it on TV a while back after my dad raved and raved about it and just couldn't get my head around it.

And if it means I get good parking spots in future, then yes, that makes us handicapped!

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Whew! I was beginning to worry that the story was so simple, I should've been able to figure it out. I bought it as a COMPLETE blind buy, after seeing a used copy of the Special Edition at work for $5.

Now I feel like selling it back again.

18. Noto

Noto Guest

Despite having read this entire thread, each time I see it on the Index, I think it is about The Virgin Suicides.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I guess you could say I was a Bergman "virgin". ;)

I just watched The Virgin Spring and was simply amazed. I think it is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen, and certainly one of the best. I don't buy Criterions all that often because they are expensive, but I am definitely going to make an exception for this film and pick it up very soon.

What is the Bergman film that you guys think I should see next? Is there any one film that someone new to Bergman must see immediately?

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Aside from The Virgin Spring, I think these are his best works, and any of them would be a great place to continue your exploration of Bergman's work:

The Seventh Seal
    Persona
    Wild Strawberries