The Visitor and Nekromantic from Arrow!!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, May 29, 2014.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

From DVD Newsflash's Facebook!:

"***** HUGELY EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT!!! *****

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?

Arrow Video is extremely proud to unveil not one but TWO as yet-unannounced forthcoming titles! SUBMITTED FOR YOUR APPROVAL: from the master Italian schlock, Ovidio G. Assonitis, the barmy 1979 sci-fi horror mash-up THE VISITOR and – for the hardened cult movie freaks amongst you – the infamous 1987 underground German shocker NEKROMANTIK!!!

More info over at The Video Deck: http://bit.ly/SUup3J"

2. sinister

sinister Member

Interesting, but I'd be amazed if there's an uncut UK release for Nekromantik.

3. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

it will be uncut

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm a little surprised at how many releases The Visitor has gotten lately...it's a fairly terrible film!

5. sinister

sinister Member

Wow. I'm indeed amazed. :eek:

Good news though.

6. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'm glad I held off on buying the Drafthouse release of THE VISITOR. I'll be very interested to hear about the transfer.

And, of course, NEKROMATIK. :banana:

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Totally agree. If a niche label gives a world class release to a really bad film like this, all of a sudden it is lost gem or something. Admittedly, Barrel gave Last House on Dead End Street a better release than it deserved. But it still served well as people started getting offed in a gritty sense of horror fashion. The Visitor is just a bunch of weird scenes sewn together. If people are going to release stuff like this, then I want to see a Blu release of Liquid Sky. Preferably from Synapse. That's when sh!t gets real.

9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder about this stuff. How big of a market is there for The Visitor? First Code Red releases it and then Alamo swoops in and gets their hands on the film as if it's some kind of holy grail. Is the film that popular? I hated it and sold off my DVD. Only watched about 20 minutes but it was so incoherent and strange that I lost interest. There's so much out there that hasn't even been touched yet but the same stuff keeps getting recycled.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  10. Scorpion

Scorpion Member

Simple: Hipsters. Code Red released it when it was known sorta in the underground cult world (when guys like Bill, Murawski, Sage Stallone just talked about it with each other after private screenings watching the old video) , then the Drafthouse guys (the hipsters) decided to proclaim it as a overnight cult masterpiece, which lead to them doing screenings all over key markets in the U.S, then bam, instant cult classic no true cult fans asked for, just the hipsters. If Drafthouse re-issues say NIGHTFALL, considered one of the most boring films ever made, the hipsters will say how awesome it is, just so they can "belong" in the "in" crowd.

11. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Code Red's DVD was my first encounter with The Visitor, and I liked it. It's a weird mish-mash of some pretty derivative ideas, but the way it is presented is just really bizarre and non-conventional. There are some solid performances from Henriksen and Ferrer, plus the soundtrack is ace. I enjoyed it enough that I picked up the BD and watched it twice already, so I'd say I am satisfied with the release and probably have no intentions of grabbing the Arrow disc.

As for Nekromantik, I think I might get the Arrow disc. Cult Epics usually do a nice job, but I think I am gonna go for Arrow's extra "flair" when it comes to presentation. It would be pretty rad if it got a steelbook.

12. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

I too enjoyed The Visitor although no intention of buying it twice... unless Arrow have an abundance of interesting extras.

13. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

1000x This ^^

Liquid Sky has been neglected far too long.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I just can't see Nekromantik being passed by the BBFC as uncut, I've not seen the film for years, so my memory of it is a little hazy, but I do remember some scenes and I just can't see it.

15. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

16. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Ive never seen The Visitor i just remember the trailer being on code red dvds. I like the looks of it and arrow always do a good package.

17. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

:eek: :lol:

Perhaps someone changed the cover of the review blu-ray to that of Peppa Pig and the BBFC took one look and said... "no need to review Peppa, she's safe".

Crazy story but gorgeous visuals... and the music is nice too... :)

18. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

That has got to be the first time Peppa Pig has been mentioned on this forum!!!!

19. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

strange how some films get released multiple times, isn't this the 3rd company that gets The Visitor? i have the Code Red DVD and it's a great package of a not-so-great movie, with the cast involved and the crazy shenanigans, i didn't expect to be somewhat bored with it

Nekromantik can prove to be interesting, but most German gore movies i've seen leave me completely cold (great FX, the rest sucks), on the other hand maybe Jorg Buttgereit can prove me wrong

20. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

This one is no different. I don't get the hype surrounding this film aside from the provocative subject matter. It's crap, IMO.