The Weinstein Miramax Echo Bridge DVD Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Consider this BIG news! :D

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"And before we get to the title announcement news, here's the big story today: Starz has sold a 25% equity stake in Starz Media to The Weinstein Company, in exchange for which Weinstein and Starz' Anchor Bay have entered into a multi-year agreement to for DVD, Blu-ray and digital distribution of Weinstein catalog films. This will include up to 20 Weinstein and Dimension titles per year, including new films like The King's Speech, Blue Valentine and Company Men. Other films to be released include Sarah's Key, the Scream, Spy Kids and Scary Movie franchises, and new installments of the Halloween, Hellraiser and Children of the Corn series, among other titles. Very good news indeed!"

Are you all stoked about this as I am?!?!

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Great, I'd love to see new editions of Scream 1 y 2 as well as Halloween: 20 Years Later. :)

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

How is the Weinsteins buying stake in another company? I thought they were on the brinks of bankruptcy. The only good I see coming out of this is actual decent dvds of some of their catalog titles.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The Faculty!!!!

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Member

Don't the Weinstein Co. have the North American rights to Suspiria?

6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Yep, so back to Anchor Bay it goes :p

7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Sweet. I loved their 3-disc special edition and it's still one of my fav DVDs. Hopefully this means we'll finally get a Blu!

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

cool news hopefully halloween h20 and curse of michael myers will get the producer's cut on dvd maybe now as well as night of the living dead blu-ray since they cancelled the 40th anniversary blu

9. springjack

springjack New Member

I think they were refering to new movies and not the old ones.

10. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Suspiria Special Edition!

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Maybe now we can FINALLY get an unrated dir. cut version of "Scream" on DVD/BD. If they release the butchered R-rated version again I´ll give em hell :fire::fire::fire:

Still spinning the old Laserdisc from time to time. Since the swedish uncut DVD wasn´t anamorphic and barely looked any better than the LD, I never bother with an upgrade.

12. Steel76

+ 1000 on that one ;)

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

also with scream 4 coming out it looks like a new blu box set would be announced or something now

14. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

So is this why that BD release of Black Christmas (2006) from Vivendi didn't happen last October 19th? Maybe Anchor Bay is going to release it this year?

And as others have said, maybe we'll finally get new DVD/BD releases of Halloween 6 (16x9 enhanced, producer's cut, and additional extras), Halloween 7 (16x9 enhanced SE), Scream (16x9 enhanced and Unrated Director's Cut), The Faculty (16x9 enhanced SE)

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

A 15th anniversary of Scream DC on blu would be most welcome and a no-brainer for AB I would think. I'd buy a blu box of the series if the DC was included finally.

Would also love the Black Xmas remake on blu, that is among my all-time favorite remakes, quite possibly tops among them.

I picked up the Candian Faculty blu, but that film is the only Rodriguez flick without a SE, and scenes in the trailer are not in the film, so we know there's some deleted footage out there.

Also hoping From Dusk Till Dawn on blu. I have the Canadian again, but that one the sound sucks really bad on and there's nothing for extras. That's Dimension/Weinstein right?

16. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

"Butchered" is a bit exaggerated, don't you think? While I agree that the DC would be ideal, it doesn't change the film drastically ... or really at all. When I think of "butchered", I think of the R-rated cut of Intruder, which is almost unwatchable, or the R-rated cut of the original My Bloody Valentine, which is far from unwatchable but the added gore brings the film to a whole new level. The cut version of Scream is only missing about 20 seconds.

17. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Not to shoot anyone's hopes down but you guys do realize the Dimension HALLOWEEN films belong to Disney right?

When Dimension originally split from Disney, they only took a few properties with them, remember when FEAST was made and that was one of the titles the Weinstein Company decided to keep?

The old films are still with Disney, all this means is we'll be able to see further direct to DVD sequels or newer films in the franchises. Maybe even the potential HALLOWEEN 3 that's been tossed around for the last few years...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  18. Steel76

Sure, it´s nowhere near as bad as the US cut of "Intruder", but even though it´s only about 20 seconds longer, the murder scenes feels much more brutal in the unrated cut.

In the R-rated cut, the shot with Drew Barrymore hanging gutted from the tree is almost over within 2 seconds, where the unrated gives you time to see her guts are spilled out on the ground, as the camera slowly moves towards her.

And the shot where Drew´s boyfriends guts are rolling out of his stomach, is the highlight gore shot in the entire unrated version of the movie.

Plus the ending with the killers cutting each other is more intense using more onscreen violence, where the R-Rated used alternate camera angles to cover up some of it.

To me, the R-rated feels more like a PG-13 version ;)

19. Blackheart

Blackheart Member

This is most likely true. From The Digital Bits:

Starz has sold a 25% equity stake in Starz Media to The Weinstein Company, in exchange for which Weinstein and Starz' Anchor Bay have entered into a multi-year agreement to for DVD, Blu-ray and digital distribution of Weinstein catalog films. This will include up to 20 Weinstein and Dimension titles per year, including new films like The King's Speech, Blue Valentine and Company Men. Other films to be released include Sarah's Key, the Scream, Spy Kids and Scary Movie franchises, and new installments of the Halloween, Hellraiser and Children of the Corn series, among other titles.

So how I read it is that they are free to release whatever the Weinstein Co, still has rights to, or is in development.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You are correct Chris. The old films still belong to Disney in the USA.

Anchor Bay won't be releasing the old Halloween/Hellraiser/Children of the Corn, etc. sequels, unless they can somehow wrestle them out of Disney's clutches.