The Weinstein Miramax Echo Bridge DVD Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

It's time like these, I wished Anchor Bay got the rights to the entire Miramax and Dimension Films libraries.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Glad I got the Canadian Halloween Triple Blu and the UK Hellraiser III DVDs. Echo Bridge is truly ghetto fabulous.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

These are terrible, I can't believe some people are defending these releases and supporting them by purchasing them! Most of them are full screen with 2.0 sound, no extras, and the video is atrocious with a few exceptions. And even those exceptions that are now anamorphic have worse audio and no extras so they are still overall downgrades.

And yes, the Teen Wolf Blu Ray only had a 2.0 audio track, but so did the DVD, and the Blu Ray is actually DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 so it is still an upgrade from the DVD. These releases have 2.0 when the DVDs had 5.1 or DTS tracks. So not only it is not an upgrade from the DVDs, it is actually a downgrade.

That and it sounds like most of these releases are cropped.

Theses releases are just insulting! It's so disappointing as I was looking forward to picking up a lot of these on Blu Ray. What was Miramax thinking letting a terrible company like Echo Bridge take over these titles. Do they really have more money to offer then Anchor Bay? At the least they could have been equal to their previous releases instead of being worse.

4. Nailwraps

And with the Dimension/Miramax titles with Anchor Bay, we could've gotten complete Hellraiser and Children of the Corn box sets.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

More news, seems like FDTD actually has a DTS HD audio track even though it is listed as 2.0 stereo, but it sounds like the picture isn't as good as the Alliance release, apparently it is a lot darker, although this is unconfirmed right now. Also, this may be important to some, but is is also missing the subtitles on the Alliance release.

I wouldn't be surprised if was identical to the Alliance release, although with the subtitles missing maybe not!?

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm fine with these releases. They look and sound just fine to me. For the price I'm not going to bitch.

8. Nailwraps

Plus, Children of the Corn II is coming to DVD next month thanks to Echo Bridge so give them a cookie for that. I think the problem with the company is that is not well-oiled. You got to hire the right people to make these releases sizzle.

9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Blu-ray's biggest contribution to home video is that it's the closest representation of a film's original theatrical presentation (way more so than DVD). This is why releases like the Ultimate Hunter Edition of Predator are so disappointing. It presents the film in a manner that doesn't even come close to the original theatrical presentation. Teen Wolf having a 2.0 track isn't a problem at all because that film didn't play in 5.1 in theaters. 2.0 is the proper track. From Dusk Till Dawn, however, was released in Dolby Digital and, hence, should have a Dolby Digital track. This also holds true for Equilibrium and Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (which were also released in DTS). Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers was released in Ultra Stereo so that should be, at the very least, a 4.0 track (although Ultra Stereo was available in 5.1 in 1995 but I don't know which version Curse used). I've heard that the audio on the Canadian release of From Dusk Till Dawn is problematic in its own right though, having to constantly adjust the volume to hear the dialogue but then being blown away by the REALLY loud action. Is this true? Either way, I'll be skipping all of these budget titles. These releases will hopefully make people appreciate what Lionsgate is doing with their Dimension / Miramax releases. They may not be perfect but they look like Criterion releases compared to these discs.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

come to think about i am kinda surprised echo bridge hasnt released prom night on blu yet

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. There probably isn't an HD master of it. But with Echo Bridge, I don't think they'd care. They'd release it on blu-ray regardless.

This really is sad. They might actually be WORSE than Alliance here in Canada (although they've gotten a LOT better lately, to be honest).

~Matt

12. fceurich39

echo bridge did release curtains here in the states although vhs master quality i know i definitly won't be getting any more echo bridge miramax titles

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I am dumbfounded by the quality of their Hellraiser 3 release. That is beyond poor. They shouldn't have been allowed to release that.

Fingers crossed Bloodline isn't a total fuck up because I'm looking forward to that on blu.

14. fceurich39

yep it isnt even the hybrid cut that has all the gore from the unrated dvd that paramount released a few years ago it is a laserdisc transfer i heard

15. Zombie Dude

I'm glad I got the UK set, that's for sure.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

It's the same cut.

For example this shot:

[​IMG]

Isn't in the original R rated cut.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's a shitty transfer regardless of the cut.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Ugh. I had hope that maybe Echo Bridge would at least get their shit together and give us good transfers, even if the disc is barebones, just give us a good transfers. They're given a ton of great catalog titles that are leaps and bounds above every mockbuster and made for tv adaptation of the Poseidon Adventure they have released and this is how they treat them? Also, fuck Miramax for being so fucking stupid. Hopefully Anchor Bay or Lionsgate will snag these up once the rights lapse.

19. Zombie Dude

Couldn't have said it better myself.

20. Nailwraps