The Wicker Man (2006)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Ash J. Williams, Sep 9, 2006.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, rhett, what's with you giving The Wicker Man an A-? And you didn't even give it that rating because you thought the film was a comedic masterpiece... you genuinely liked it. :eek2:

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

He's not alone in this... I liked it too.
    It fits perfectly with all the other Labute films since all of them deal with the battle of the sexes in one way or another, the few changes in the original are very carefully chosen and for me, the reason it receives that much hate is the comparison with the original. The political overtone of the story is also very interesting and thought provoking.

But I do understand the haters, and there are some very funny replies in this thread! :D:D:D

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Well yeah, but it sucks, too. :D

4. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I rented this and I never saw the original yet. I definitely didn't see much good in this film. I thought some parts were funny but overall it was just dull. No suspense, lame plot, LAME ending (although funny). The overall tone can be summed up in one word: dull.

I laughed at the part where he calls the children little liars, and at the part where he tells a lady to "step away from the bike" or something like that. Also loved everytime Cage punched a woman in the face.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Rhett is the bad pun police? More like The Master Of. He's just trying to make off with that bad pun himself. Don't you let him.

Topic? This movie is still a horrible disaster of gigantically silly proportions, and I still love every failing and laughable minute of it. Who knew misogyny could be so fun for people of all sexes?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2007
  6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I broke down and bought this today as part of a 4 for $20 sale at BB. I was gonna ask which version I should start with, but reading the thread has answered my question before asking. Unrated for sure, then the extra ending on the flip side for a few more laughs.
    I hope this lives up to the hype. Ya'll did me right with Shark Attack 3 and I remembered this thread while buying it. I expect some big laughs this weekend when I watch it! Hell, I'm already chuckling now just thinking about bear suits.:lol:

7. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

Enjoy, my friend; you are about to have a monumental experience.

8. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I finally got around to seeing this and, wow, this is quite possibly the funniest movie of the last decade. Forget The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Wedding Crashers and Borat. I laughed harder and more often at The Wicker Man than all three of those combined (and I loved all three). From Nic Cage's downright bizarre performance to the awkward dialogue (made more awkward by the aforementioned performance) to the bear suit, this is an extreme exercise in "WTF Filmmaking." The film has a weird dream-like reality where no one (especially Mr. Cage) acts like a normal human being, and this is before the film even gets to Summersisle. I've loved every other movie Neil Labute's done (even his "lesser" efforts like Nurse Betty and Possession) but I really can't fathom what he was doing here. Of course, this all adds up to a marvelously entertaining 102 minutes of "So Bad Its Good" movie watching. I can't wait to buy this bad boy and put it on loop. For anyone else (and I know there's lots of you on here) who found this movie as unintentionally hilarious as I did, you should check out this great trailer:

The Wicker Man - Comedy Trailer

If the above link was posted elsewhere, sorry. If not, enjoy, it's even better than the movie.

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

That comedy trailer is gold. I was busting up at every scene. I'm buying this today at work, there's no doubt about it.

10. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I hear ya. If they had just used this trailer to market the movie, it would've been a smash hit.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

OH SHIT. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is the most hilarious thing I've seen on the Internet, hands down. The scene at the end with Cage running away from the bees and rolling down the hill screaming "ARhpiasghpsagfl;aghqeprhifREHPISFh MY EYESSS MY EYEEZZZZZZZZZZZ" killed me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Bless you Kolpitz! That fake trailer is the funniest thing I have seen since, well, the movie itself. It literally made me laugh until I cried, and then I had to struggle to even breathe. Thank you for posting. The Wicker Man 2006 forever!

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I can't wait to get home from work and watch that fake trailer.

14. Noto

Noto Guest

Jesus! That's sheer brilliance.

Anything is funny when you add "Walking On Sunshine."

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

That vid was funny but it's basically doing the same thing as the one for the Shining did a while back...and The Shining was better done really

Maybe I over-think stuff sometimes?

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am glad this thread popped up again. I felt compelled to rewatch the trailer again, and it is still one of the funniest things that ever showed up on the internet.

I'm a policeman. See my badge?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I recently just watched this film again, the first time I saw it was in the theatres, and before I saw the original. I guess its blasphemy, but I actually enjoyed the remake quite a bit, and not just for it's comedy.

I think the original is a decent horror film, I don't know if it deserves the legendary status that is thrown upon it, but I did like it. My problems with it though were the musical numbers every 5 minutes, it really took me out of the film, that and the horrible direction. I don't think it's low budget has anything to do with it either, I just don't think the Director was very good.

Now the remake. The two complaints I have with the original have been fixed, the Director is a lot better, and thankfully the musical numbers have been omitted. I also like the fact that it's really a completely different film. Yes, the main story of trying to find a missing child on a reclusive island is there, but the themes have been completely reworked. This time trading in religion and sex for feminism. It's nice to see a unnecessary remake at least try something new, but with still keeping the framework there. Of course Nic Cage completely overacts in this film, and there are lots of other problems visible, but overall I think it was well done with some really creepy and tense moments. That and the ending (obviously the alternate cut), are just as brutal if not more then the original film.

I think if people forget about the original, and the hilarious comedy trailer that was made for this film, they might be able to enjoy it. Expect the worst and you might come out surprised, at least I did o its second viewing.

18. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This movie was just plain awful.