The Wolf Man Legacy Edition

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dave13, Feb 3, 2010.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I gotta say I am seriously disappointed in Universal's latest repackaging of The Wolf Man as a part of their decreasingly respectable legacy series. I was more than happy to spring for the Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy Legacy editions because they put together some attractive new features. For the most part, the main draws for me were the new commentary tracks attached to each. Also, they added more than a few new video supplements as well. Of course I now have 3 different copies of the Universal Horror documentary narrated by Kenneth Brannagh, but thats ok I guess. But now we come to my favorite of the Universal classic horrors, The Wolf Man. This is the one I've been waiting for. And what do we get? A half hour featurette on Chaney Jr., a 10 minute history of the wolf man character, and a 10 minute preview of the new wolf man movie. everything else is just recycled material (even the doc on jack pierce from the mummy SE). what the fuck!?! I mean dammit. this is just really disappointing. Maybe the picture quality is improved? i dunno, i don't really remember the earlier release as having particularly poor a/v. but maybe it did, so i guess its possible. but if that were the main selling point, then why the fuck wouldn't they release it on blu? oh wait, thats right, because Universal wants me to buy it not once more, but twice more. god dammit. ugh. this just sucks.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

As much as I love the classic Universal Monsters, I've never seen the point in these newer legacy releases. Yeah, the a/v might be slightly improved, but it's a really hard sell when you already own the prior incarnations which had included every single sequel in one package.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I hear the Chaney doc is rather good.

I have high hopes that at least The Wolf Man and The Creature From the Black Lagoon will make it to Blu soon, if only because of the remakes. It may be a long while before we get the others. Even then we may only see the heavy hitters.

4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Same.

I can't see myself buying this when I already have all the Legacy sets.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm just a real sucker for commentary tracks over classic films, i guess. thats what got me to buy the other three, and its what i was looking forward to on this one. Currently i've got three copies of Dracula and Frankenstein, two of The Mummy, and two of The Wolf Man.

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I actually welcome these-I read of the persistent problems with the flipper discs on the 'Universal Monster Collections' and this prevented me from buying. I learnt my lesson from the Abbott and Costello franchise collection, I bought the first volume and after multiple exchanges still could not find one that worked correctly-cheap and flimsy products for such great films.
    I bought the Frankenstein Legacy and was very impressed, I will no doubt seek out The Wolf Man as well.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Agreed about the commentary tracks, one of the best for me is still A&C Meet Frankenstein.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No complaint on my end. I vaguely recall something about a number of copies having floaters that caused a movie to skip (Werewolf of London?) but mine had nothing like that.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Those are some measly extras - especially the 10 minute promo on the new Wolfman? The LAST thing I'd want on a classic DVD is a reminder that there's a remake.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

well, in terms of quantity, there is actually a lot on the discs. trouble is, i've already got 90% of it on other universal discs.

and as far as the flipper discs goes, i've had problems with my T2 ultimate edition flipper, but thats it. with all the universal legacy collections, i never had any issue whatsoever.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'd buy it if it was released on Blu, otherwise I'm sticking with the Legacy release.

12. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Im content with the older Legacy Edition till Blu hits the shelves with equally as good features and A/V.

Sean