The Worst of Lucio Fulci

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by zombi3, Feb 2, 2003.

?

The Worst of Lucio Fulci

1. Sweet House of Horrors

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Cat in the Brain

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Aenigma

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. The Black Cat

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. House of Clocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Voices from Beyond

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Rome 2072 AD: The New Gladiators

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  8. Touch of Death

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Demonia

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  10. Manhattan Baby

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  11. Other...

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

DVD-fanatic-9,

If you don't like NYR and think it's shit, that's fine by me. The only reason I responded was because of your claim that the film is misogynistic. I don't agree with that and I don't agree that every man that likes NYR and films of that type are hateful of women. (Not your claim, but a lot of people who deem NYR as misogynistic seem to think so.)

If you believe that, okay. That is your opinion, but it doesn't make it a fact. As far as I know, no credible evidence has ever surfaced that proves that Fulci was a misogynist. And if he was, don't you think he would have killed off Fay Majors too and let the killer live?

Let's be honest here. Though we find out after the fact that most or all of the female victims were stabbed and/or sliced in their pubic region, only one time do we actually see the killer's weapon of choice make contact with a vagina. The second killing - inside the strip/sex club when the killer stabs a broken bottle into the woman's vagina. And to be fair, it was completely dark inside that room, so it could have been a lot more brutal had the lights been on letting you see it in full detail.

Ok, I apologize. It seemed as though you wanted films of this type to vanish so no one could see them. Have you seen the 2007 movie, Teeth? If so, how do you feel about sexual violence towards men in films? I'm fine with it as I view it as "just another movie." It's the same way I feel about NYR and all other films. Films of this type are made to shock, terrify, and disturb us, but bottom line: they're made to entertain, at least a select crowd anyways. And I think it really says something that a film like Teeth can get made today whereas a film like NYR could probably never be made today, at least not the way Fulci did it.

I don't feel guilty for liking NYR as I have no reason to. I'm not a misogynist. In fact, I'm a hell of a lot more supportive and respectful towards women than your typical guy on the street.

I wonder how most women would feel about NYR? A lot of them might be grossed out, but would they think it's misogynistic or just another slasher with more gore? I showed the film to my mom (who loves horror films) a year or two ago and she wasn't bothered by it at all.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Most of these are not even bad!:eek2:

3. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I haven't seen most of them, but The Black Cat looks interesting.

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Door to Silence is one of my favorite Fulci films. Wonderfully surreal.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Add another vote for Demonia, though there's plenty of contenders here.

6. Maniac

Maniac Guest

I watched The New Gladiators for the first time last night. Wow, until the last 15 minutes I thought what a piece of shit. Then, it turned into a comedic piece of shit. I could barely contain my laughter as the combatants were racing and fighting. This was probably one of the lamest movies I have seen in years. I generally like old 70's and 80's style stuff, but this was just bad.

7. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

Sweet House of Horrors. Flaming marshmallows, bad children actors, there is nothing sweet in that pile of thrash.

8. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

Sweet House of Horrors that movie was awful.

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I haven't seen all of these, but I know Manhattan Baby sucked ass. Aenigma is a close second.

10. Look's like I voted for the majority, once again, as I found Manhatten Baby criminally boring and dullard. Hell, it's a mildly controversal opinion, but I honest find the late 'auteur' a pretty big hack, myself. Some of his famous gore/make-up FX set pieces he staged for some set pieces in movies like City of the Living Dead are alright, but over all, I simply NEVER got what I consider to be at best a poor man's Argento. I have a good close friend named Jennifer who lives in Kentucky with her husband Will, and I chainlink e-mail replies to her and a nice Belgian fiend of ours named Stefan as we're all gona meet up one day, and Jenn get's honestly quite pissed when I mention my strong dislike for Fulci (cause she has pics on her Photobucket of her and Will around Halloween time wearing Zombi shirts and shit on). *lol* She simply cannot understand how I love Argento and the Bava family, and yet Fulci puts me to sleep.

To each they're own ...

(Note: I would said The New York Ripper, but I actually owned Blue-Underground's re-issue of that for unintential laughs. Fuck it's funny *lmao*)

11. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I'll qualify this statement by saying that I have yet to see most of what are usually considered Fulci's worst--Aenigma, Cat in the Brain, Demonia, or his TV films. I also have yet to get my hands on Don't Torture a Duckling or Lizard in the Woman's Skin. That's my grain of salt for all of you. And now:

I think House by the Cemetery is pretty damn bad. I've seen both the older VHS version with one reel out of order, and the AB disc. While certainly bloody and gory with the best of Fulci, the rest of the film is a boring mess. And, the less I see of that blonde moppet, the better.

The ending is the best part. No, I'm not being smarmy by saying that it's the best part because it signals the end of the film, just that it's one of the few parts of the film that works for me. That the only escape for the remaining characters is to some dim limbo is both disturbing and, oddly, touching. Had the rest of the film been able to support this, House would easily rival Zombie and The Beyond as definitive Fulci horror.

Probably House might start to look better once I get around to seeing more Fulci. It's certainly better than the completely retarded Touch of Death.

12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

The New Gladiators, watching that was like a kick in the balls.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Come on, Cs- you know there are no good qualities. :p

I would buy that but I'm having just a little trouble seeing Fulci as even that ambitious a director. In his personal life, Fulci had a lot of problems with women, and then to see him - fake or not - cutting up women's vaginas and sexually humiliating them so disgustingly... Tells me he is a misogynist when he made this film.

Some people don't want to hear that and disagree. I don't care. There's no excuse for that kind of shit in any movie. Any movie. So - that's why I don't quite buy misanthropic. No fancy label excuses the level of brainless hatred toward women shown in this film. It's way, way, way, way over the line.

14. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I fall asleep every time I try to watch Manhattan Baby.