"They" out Nov 27, Wes Craven

Discussion in 'General' started by Erg0n, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Sorry if this has been address before, but I just saw the trailer, and it looks pretty good, I want to know what's wes craven's participation in this film? Did he write/driect it or what?

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I have no desire to see this at all, it looks completely uninspired and typical of the crap that has come out in the last 10 years. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

3. Wes probably just tacked his name on it again. Probably a good sign to avoid it like the plague.
    Another boring 'Wes Craven's . . . . . ' whatever!

4. David666

David666 Guest

Wow, I guess Wes should have just make "Hills Have Eyes part 3" instead of "Scream." A total flop seems to be the only way some people like horror directors.

"They" looks pretty cool actually... but, uh oh it has a TV star in it... Ethan Embry of Freaky Links... can't have that now can we?

This one and Darkness Falls look really good and I will be checking them out.

5. I don't feel that way about everyone - but just like most other people, - I find it hard not to be disappointed by certain directors' penchant for making moneyspinners, or shit movies.

John Carpenter was my total hero in the 70s & 80s - but after watching Ghosts Of Mars, Vampires etc, I find it difficult to see a return to form - even though I'd really love to, just to put everyone in their places!

Argento blew everyone's socks off with Non Ho Sonno - and that was after 10 years of insults & criticism for movies like Two Evil Eyes, Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome & Phanton Of The Opera.

Tobe Hooper - what happened there?

George A. Romero - just stopped making movies for years - and with the cynicism in the genre - I can understand why.

Wes Craven - I just can't stand.
    It's not even like the majority of his movies have actually been particularly great. Nightmare On Elm Street, Last House & Deadly Blessing were okay - but even The Hills Have Eyes wasn't really amazing, I don't care what Sam Raimi says!

I hope Wes makes a fucking great movie - and totally changes my mind! I'd happily eat these words for lunch!
    I've never really been one to adhere to fashion or trends - and unfortunately - Wes is a sucker for both!

6. mystro

mystro Guest

Hey,

I was just thinking the same fucking thing! Looks like crap, even Darkness Falls looks a bit better.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I saw a preview for this movie on tv yesterday and it looked like it had some decent scare moments in it. I don't know just how much CGI will be involved in the final outcome but this appears to be a good enough flick to check out in the theaters. :cool:

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Director Robert Harmon is responsible for making one of my top 3 favorite films of all time, the masterpiece that is THE HITCHER. He is the one who directed THEY.

I have been waiting for this film all year! The plot about night terrors sounds pretty damn good to me, and coming from Harmon, I have high expectations for it!

9. Well, I to agree about The Hitcher - a superior movie!
    Harmon pulled out all the stops on that one. I only watched it about two weeks ago - and it's just as original & worrying as it was first time around.

Hope it's great & all - but where does Wes fit in?

10. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

looks like its gonna be another 'sleep and die' stories. It looks okay, but I'm not interested in seeing it.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'll go see it. With all the crap in theaters these days, I jump at the chance to see anything remotely interesting to me. I'll be there opening day.

12. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Yeah it's directed by that guy who did The Hitcher, and that was an underrated movie. So I got to be curious as to how this is going to come out like.

13. creamstick

creamstick Guest

I saw it at the Halloween Fright Fest here in Glasgow - It's okay. Not totally shit, not pretty good. Just okay.

The Brad Renfro looking guy's really good, and the lead actress is.. well... really skinny.

Basically it tries too hard to be suspenseful, and while there are a few nice moments, it didn't compare to the other movies I saw that night (28 Days Later, Frailty, Bad Taste, Jason X).

It also reminded me of Pitch Black in a few places (you'll know when you see it), but they should probably have taken a cue from that film and not shown 'the monsters' too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2002
  14. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Wes Craven will one day make a good film again, and that film will be called ALICE. Can't wait for that! (I hope it gets made)
    I will probably check out THEY, that trailer got me interested. Its probably crap though. (It sucks that Wes has to stick his name on lil films like this all the time)

cheers!!

Nick

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Pretty damn good!

I saw THEY earlier, and thought it was pretty damn good, although it wasn't as good as I was expecting, but it came close. Some parts were a little to talky, and the characters weren't the most interesting, but I did like the lead girl, as she did quite well, and also looks very good. I loved how Harmon decided to keep the creatures enshrouded in darkness, as it makes the creatures more up to your imagination, thus making them creepier IMO. Also, loved the downer ending, and it was a very groovy downer ending at that! I can easily recommend this film! While not the classic that THE HITCHER is, it is still an excellent llittle film!

16. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Wes Craven has absolutely nothing to do with this movie according to a review I read. After looking on the IMDB Wes Craven's name is nowhere to be found anywhere on the page for They http://us.imdb.com/Title?0283632 Apart from that dumbass Wes Craven Presents part.

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'll probably checkout They, but I'm not expecting much either. Can always hope to be presently surprised...

18. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

Saw it over the weekend. I really wanted to like it. I heartily agree with the previous poster about the director being highly skilled. I love THE HITCHER! But this flick was just...dull.

The opening was promising and there are a few other suspenseful scenes throughout, but nothing can hide the fact that the script is little more than a handful of scare scenes strung together with little sense or care. Rules get set up and then are either dropped or outright broken. People do stupid things, constantly!, just to get them in deeper danger. And the lead chick is unappealing both physically (she'd make Karen Carpenter look fat) and as a character.

Very disappointing...

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Remember this movie? I remember going to see it when it came out, but couldn't remember a thing about it except there was a scene in a subway.

Even though I have a huge stack of recent acquisitions to go through (including several I received today like The Fly Collection, Hustlers, Inside Moves, and Freaks), for whatever reason I went with this DVD I recently found in my closet.

What a bland vanilla movie. The two things it had going for it is that it had WB hot people casting and decent production values, which made it relatively easy to look at. The movie makes the decision to not show the creatures, save for a fleeting glimpse here and there. That might work, but the movie also doesn't give us any sort of reason, explanation, or backstory for the creatures either. There's not much in the way of plot at all.

The only real thing they give us is that the creatures don't like light, but the movie doesn't even really make much use of that. There's basically this girl, and these unexplained creatures lurking around in the darkness, and two or three times a character is dragged off camera and never seen again. That's really all there is to this movie.

I wish I had stuck to the new release pile.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

The only thing I remember about this movie is a quick nude or some kind of shower scene with the main character. Other than that, I can't remember the movie at all. I don't think it was that good. I think I was disappointed with the ending.