Thinning Out My Collection(s)

Discussion in 'General' started by Grim, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

So I'm going to grad school in the Fall and chances are, with the workload
    I'm planning to take on, I'll probably be relying on loans for most of my income. That being said, I'm looking to lessen that dependency and I've been selling a lot of stuff. I think I probably have a few movies that I could stand to lose and make some money off of, as well as a lot of vinyl to sell.

I usually use the "when was the last time I watched/listened to this" method, but that hasn't really helped me this go around. I'm curious about what some of you all do to help you thin things out when it comes time for a little spring cleaning.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I use all avenues: eBay, Craigslist, there is a Amoeba on Sunset in LA etc. I brought in some old horror posters to hang in my office so they aren't just in the closet at home. I'm thinning out as well - I'm a little father down the line in life but I may be moving again within LA and just don't want to have to move boxes of stuff AGAIN. Having said that, if you are ditching blu-rays - talk to me.

3. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I've been doing exactly this for the last few years. I've probably gotten rid of 200 CDs, 250 records and about 50 DVDs. I have a lot less DVDs/Blus than other physical media, so the ratio makes sense for me.

I have three questions I run through whenever I'm planning on getting rid of some of my physical media, one you already mentioned.

The first question I ask myself is have I listened to it/watched in the last X years? Pick a number depending on how aggressive you want to get with your purge, I usually go 5.

The second question, which is the toughest is do I honestly think I will ever listen to/watch this item in the next few years/do I have desire to return to it? If the answer is no (and sometimes it's tough being honest with yourself), I then ask myself a final question.

Does the item in question have LOTS of sentimental value, or is part of some special collection? Realistically I won't rewatch every Dario Argento movie in the coming years, but it's the collection that counts. Items that have a little sentimental value go, because it's ones with major sentimental value that should count in my book.

If the answer is all no to these questions, then out it goes. No questions asked. This means you'll never get rid of the really important stuff/collections/etc, but are slowly making space.

I then trawl ebay etc to see if the item is worth anything. If an item is worth less than $5, it's not worth the hassle so I usually bring it to some local used place and just pray they take it all. In the end you'll get back a pittance, but it always feels nice just to lighten the load.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I've been purging a lot over the past year or two, and will likely continue to do so now that I'm settled in my new city.

I've used amazon trade-in in the past a lot, but the prices they offer have come down a ton, particularly for DVDs. For some I recently saw that they were offering less than 5 cents per title.

Ebay is a better bet - for common/cheap movies group them into a lot and you might do better. I had almost no offers for things I tried to sell here for a fixed (and very reasonable) price, that then sold on eBay for quite a bit more than I had thought to ask for. But finding/buying enough packaging materials to ship everything can be a pain.

I took a lot to a local used record store as well (vinyl, CDs, DVDs) - they only offered a few bucks per item, but it was more than I would get elsewhere and a lot less work.

And it does feel really nice to lighten the load.

As far as deciding how to get rid of things - I just put anything I didn't want anymore in a pile. As I worked through the pile to figure out whether to sell on eBay or locally, I would occasionally change my mind and keep something, but more often than not I added things to the pile instead.

And good luck in grad school!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider is how easily you could replace something should you decide later on you regret getting rid of it. Most stuff is easily replaceable but some stuff isn't. Check ebay/amazon/here before trading in those old Anchor Bay or Code Red titles that are OOP. Even if it's something you can live without you could make good cash selling to a collector.

6. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Selling on Amazon seems to be the easiest way to thin out your collection - all you have to do is enter the bar code number, set your price and condition and Amazon will do the rest. You don't have to worry about adding information (specs, region codes, etc) and photos are an option, which is always a plus since I find taking pictures and posting them a hassle. I've sold more DVDs than Blu-rays, and have gotten rid of some titles for good money.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have much better luck on eBay than I do on Amazon. Putting them up on Amazon is harmless since it's free to list, but I've sold maybe 2 things there so far in 2015. For the most part, they just sit there. I think the $3.99 shipping charge pretty much kills it for the buyers, so they look elsewhere.

The problem with eBay is they charge you a listing fee, regardless of whether the item sells. However, you do get 50 free listings per month, so depending on how much you're selling, it won't even be an issue. They also do unlimited free listings maybe 2 or 3 times per month, so just keep an eye out for that. I've never paid to list anything, I just max out my 50 free listings and wait for unlimited listing periods. I usually get about 3 sales per week on eBay, give or take, and it's the same stuff I have listed on Amazon.

Also worth mentioning, eBay deposits sales immediately into your PayPal account (although if you're just starting out, there might be a trial period where they hold your funds at first). With Amazon, you have to wait about 3 weeks for it to be deposited into your bank account.

8. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

That's pretty much how I do spring cleaning too..

Managed to get my collection down to a reasonable amount - around 160 titles (mix of mainly Blu-ray / 30 - 40 DVDs).

Music CDs are next on the hit-list this year.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This systems seems pretty spot on. I didn't even think about asking myself if I'll actually revisit the title or sentimentality, which has played a part in me holding on to certain items that I'll never actually revisit like my Sleepaway Camp Red Cross Survival Kit, Wicker-Man wicker Box, The Beyond tin, and Blind Dead coffin box.

Also, all of the advice from everyone on actually selling the stuff is much appreciated. I've used amazon a little and outside of a couple people canceling last minute, my experiences have been good, but I think I could make more money on ebay probably.

10. Christy

Christy Member

I have applied the golden rule of you buy it your stuck with it. Too much headache and drama trying to sell off my items. I don't like dealing with record stores as they rip you off. I'm also not a big fan of internet online sales via Amazon or eBay. It is one thing to buy but to sell is like begging for a thrashing.

11. Christy

Christy Member

In my short experiences on here this forum is flake central. I don't blame you for buying/selling else ware at all.

12. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I've had some good experiences here with everybody I've dealt with. But maybe people already owned what I was selling, or maybe it was crap that nobody else here wanted either :lol:

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm proud to say that I made some amazing contacts on this board in the 11 years I've been here. I've never been burned by anyone, and I've always found someone that had a VHS, DVD, LD, Blu-ray, etc that I've been looking for.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Though I haven't had too much trouble in the past. As far as records go, the stores probably think they're getting them for a great price, but the ones I'm bringing to them I've acquired for next to nothing. The problem is figuring out which ones I'm going to part with!

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I've never traded on here, but I have to agree with you by simply reading the good traders comments. Most, not all, seem to be pretty decent on this board. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've read how one contact has, without hesitation, offered to buy a DVD, Blu, etc..that somebody has had trouble obtaining. I've been on other boards and this is the only one I continue to frequent after many years.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Grim - great thread bud. I haven't started this process yet but I try to use the same logic you do. I am really starting to run into space issues and I know I need to bite the bullet soon. It is tough. I guess I could add a second floor to my house :D. The problem I've encountered is regret later. :cry:

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I think so far I've only regretted selling one DVD - Possession, but since then it's already been re-released on blu-ray, so the insanely high DVD prices became irrelevant if I want to buy it again.

I probably don't even remember ever owning 95% of what I sold.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yeah I just sorted through a bunch of records and a few movies, all of which I am pretty confident I won't miss at all. Regret is always a concern, though.

I had that exact issue with Society! I had the double feature disc and sold it to some guy for $2. A couple years later the regret sets in and I try to find a used copy, only to see it selling for close to $50! I almost broke and bought one when just by random chance I saw the news that Arrow was releasing it on blu. Now I don't feel so bad.

19. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I've bought and sold with users here a few times and have never had any problems. Very cool people frequent this board! I have a huge collection so it's rare for something to be offered that I don't already have.

20. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I sold that double feature disk as soon as I heard about the blu ray release, but I never knew that it had been selling for $50! Shit, I probably sold it for only a dollar or two too. Oh well.