Thirst - Chan-wook Park

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by MorallySound, Jul 19, 2009.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

He will be at Comic-Con next week to promote it. I only got a one-day badge this year, and luckily it's for the day Park will be there.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea I really want to see this one too- Oldboy was really great-

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I have no doubt that this will be amazing :)

5. This is deff on my list, I need to pick up Oldboy thanks for reminding me :).
    I also really liked Park-Chan Wook's short story for Three Extremes, "Cut" it was masterfully done and I really enjoy it. Its got some humor, brutality, twist's, very artful set-pieces pretty impressive for a short story!

BTW did anyone else notice that In watchmen during the prison-break scene they copied Park-Chans side-scrolling idea?

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, I saw this tonight. I have mixed feelings about it. It was very interesting, and a very different take on the vampire genre. It's not particulary scary, and is quite humorous in a lot of parts.

But it is also VERY slow, and very long. It really takes a long time for the plot to kick in and go somewhere. Now, Park has always been a very deliberate filmmaker, but it kind of idles for a good 45 minutes or so.

I'm curious to hear all y'all's reactions to it when you do get a chance to see it.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Judging from the trailer, I saw this as well.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've had a few days to digest this film (so to speak), and it's grown on me. I now see that the "slow" 45 minutes is really a parallel to the later part of the film. The movie is all about desires and how one goes about fullfilling them. Using a Catholic priest, one who is used to suppressing those desires, is what makes it so interesting. The female lead is more hedonistic and more of a slave to her desires. When vampirism is introduced into the mix, you see how both use it within their personality styles to eventually fulfill their needs.

There's a lot more going on than what you're first led to believe, so it takes time (and I'm guessing multiple viewings) to really take it all in.

9. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I loved it from the first viewing. THIRST was one of my favorite films of the year. Bloody, funny, strange, and off the hook. The pacing didn't bother me, as it seems to be similar to Lady Vengeance or OldBoy. It was unpredictable right up to the end, where i had to laugh at the absurdity of it all . Definitely recommended, and as far as vampire movies go, I liked even a bit more than Let The Right One In.

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I watched it last night and while I liked it, it is my least favorite of the Park films I've seen (Vengeance Trilogy, JSA). The acting was good and the story interesting, but I thought it meandered a bit too much and some important plot threads were never developed (Why would a blood bank have vampire blood? Was the hospital aware of it? Did anyone else get infected from it?)

11. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Refreshing viewing experience, been looking forward to seeing and I'm glad I did. Park is always makes great films.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I really need to see this one soon- deciding between renting or blind buying. I loved Oldboy

13. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I'm interested in this movie but is there any info on a blu ray release?

14. darklight

darklight New Member

15. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

Thanks for that. Of course it's region locked. Hopefully a US release is on the way.