This forum needs help!

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by jscott, Mar 29, 2002.

1. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

WOOHOO! I just won Scream Greats:Tom Savini on laserdisc. I figured one of you guys would snatch that one up.
    And Wago70, I want your spare copy of Theatre of Blood. Please email me flyboy909@yahoo.com

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Already have it. It's a sweet disc, you'll dig it big time.

Bonus: It's all CAV, meaning perfect freeze-frame and slow motion!

enjoy Theatre O Blood. It's the widescreen re-mastered one you're selling him, right Wago?

3. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

The thought had crossed my mind, but I forgot about the damn thing. There have been ALOT of discs I would've snatched up by now if it were not for my terrible memory. Anyway, enjoy the disc jscott.

By the way, I'm looking into a few discs at the moment: "The Fun House", "Phantasm" signature series box set, and lastly "The Ressurected". Any opinions on these?

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Let's see...I just watched The Funhouse a few weeks ago. It's a pretty poor transfer, I gotta figure the DVD is better. But the LD is in full surround (the DVD is 2.0), and has the original trailer. Don't spend more than $5 on it.

The Phantasm disc is nice to have. It's the same stuff as the DVD, but the packaging is sweet.

Don't know about the 3rd disc...

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Just what I thought. I own the DVD but the packaging really got me interested. I'm going to guess you own this disc, so you'll know if it has the soundtrack or not. I think it does.

That's good to know. I remember someone here saying it was nice to have (thought it was you, maybe not), so I imagined it had a decent transfer. Actually, I think it was a discussion concerning the trailer. The trailer is NOT on the DVD, and whoever it was said it was a good one. Maybe I'll hold off on that one, as the price is already up in the ten dollar range.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Bastard! I would have snagged that Scream Greats disc in a second. I got the Scream Great: Satanism Witches LD instead. But I'm going to add that Savini one to my favorite searches!

A great feature of ebay is to save your favorite searches in the 'My Ebay' control panel. You can have an email sent to you automatically for every new search that comes up. They'll only email you up to 3 searches, but I believe you can put in up to 10 (you can login and run the others manually). It can be very powerful if you learn their search engine. Here's one of mine:

(x-files, x files, xfiles) (import, japan)

So it searches for x-files OR x files, OR xfiles AND import OR japan

I could throw an LD or laserdisc in there too, but the problem is not everyone puts 'LD or laserdisc' into their description. Plus the import or japan will narrow it down enough where 99% of the results will be what I'm looking for.

Here's another:

(vinyl, record, laserdisc) (storage, cabinet, rack)

Yes, I'm looking into storage cabinet to hold my growing collection. This will search for vinyl OR record OR laserdisc AND storage OR cabinet OR rack.

You can plug those right into the search box, () and all.

Works pretty good. I shouldn't tell you guys about this since I may end up bidding against you. :D

7. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

It's CAV? The person I bought it from listed it as Extended Play in the item's description. Are you sure it's CAV? Or does your player have the ability to freeze frame/slow mo on CLV discs as well as CAV (I know my dad's can, he's got a DVL909, lucky bastard!).

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, NO player will ever freeze-frame CLV as well as CAV...

Did you see a photo of the disc? It should have "CAV Disc" in the upper right, and "Standard Play" in the lower left.

I don't know why it would be CLV. The documentary is only 52 minutes long. It's probably a CAV disc, and the guy just assumed it's CLV, since CLV is so common.

9. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

After making my eyes water by staring at the photo so long, it does look like it says Standard Play in the lower left hand corner.
    Spank you Paff, spank you very much.

Attached Files:

• i-1.jpg
      i-1.jpg
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
  10. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

I'll just chime in on the whole ELITE LASER DISC thing too. I'm not on a mission to own everyone, but I've been buying them like a bitch lately!!! Man, you can tell they were for 'movie-fanatics' and not all this 'mass collecting' sh*t out now a days! All that stuff they write on the back telling you why this source material was available and why it's cropped the way it is.

Would keep bunch of the DVD-whinners quiet!!

But, if 'Don' is selling Elite Disc, man, post them here in the LD section. Or drop an e-mail. (venom@ev1.net) I'll snag some. And shit Paff, you got every damn disc there is. you're still missing elite discs?? ;)

On another horror site i hang at, I suck Elite's dick with no shame over their laser disc.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I certainly do have a LOT of Elite discs, but not all of them.

See, to own every one, I'd have to buy all the Nightmare on Elm Street discs (and I only like the first one), plus a lot of their older discs that were since put out on DVD (like Dracula Prince of Darkness).
    I've always wanted the Elite Lady in White laser...

Off the top of my head, here's my Elite LDs:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2 (red disc)
    God Told Me To
    Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Day of the Dead
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil
    Re-Animator

nice collection, but still more to go...

12. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

The NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET package is cool.

It's the one with the RED and GREEN sweater pattern eh? I've thought of buying it cuz it looks cool!!!

Not at home to see but my ELITE's are:

TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD
    RETURN OF THE EVIL (BLIND) DEAD
    MARK OF THE DEVIL
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2 (red disc)
    God Told Me To
    Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil
    DRACULA - PRINCE OF DARKNESS ;)
    Rasputin
    Invaders From mars

Most of these are recent buys too!! I know there 'may' be more, but I have the worst memory. I actually have an extra copy of GOD TOLD ME TO if someone wants to trade??

13. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Anyone know how BAVA's other laser disc are compared to the DVDs. Specifically BLACK SUNDAY and BLACK SABBATH?? I've seen the DVD's but they always go for $22-$25. Yes, I know it's worth it, it's freakin' BAVA, but if the LD's can compete than I may be able to save a buck or 2. But if the LD's are inferior to the DVDs, I won't sacrifice material/quality with those titles. NO WAY!! ;)

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Alas, no. My copy is the standard movie-only edition with Heather Langenkamp on the cover.

It burns me, because I could have had that bad-ass SE. Big Emma's had a bunch of Elite discs on sale. I was already into them for nearly a hundred bucks. They had both editions of Nighmare, but since that's not an all-time favorite of mine, I cheaped out and bought the standard edition. I should have bit the bullet and paid the extra $10 they wanted for the SE. Both were factory sealed and in mint condition.

Oh well, the movie is what is most important to me, and the Elite Nightmare on Elm Street is pretty damn nice, so I'm happy.

15. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I bought the "Nightmare On Elm Street" disc by Elite a while back off ebay. The guy selling it showed a picture of the disc with the sweater pattern. Yet when it arrived on my doorstep later in the week, the cover had somehow changed to the one with Langenkamp on it.

It really upset me because I own the DVD, and that cover was really selling me on the disc. I guess that's ebay for you though.

To end on a more positive note, I DID snag the Criterion version of "Crash" off ebay the other day, and I've been wanting that one for a while now.

16. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

The one with the 'sweater' pattern...isn't that an Elite disc too??

Man, that SUX Egg_Shen!!! BIG TIME!!:mad:

I actually like Nightmare on Elm Street a lot. The first one! (actually the first 3) I may still snag the sweater one. You should have got it Paff!!! Then I can bug you about comparing it to the DVD box set!