Those people on IMDb drive me insane!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Jan 28, 2009.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Those people really know how to knitpick and bitch about this and about that.
    On the My Bloody Valentine boards all i see is this:

"George Mihalka about new,UNCUT dvd- Not all of it is there"
    "So when are we going to get the other 6 minutes of cut footage?"
    "Ashame the new DVD transfer is weak..."

IMDb

and this guy on there (his name is thx5150) claims to have seen the full (99 min) uncut version. on some station that had F13th part 2 & Happy Birthday to me Uncut too!! yeah right.....:rolleyes:

read the posts, it is very annoying! just goes to show how hard it is to please people these days!

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

There's an awful lot of bluster an bs on IMDB,guess it's just the nature of the beast.I'm more put out by people badmouthing performers and directors who have just died and attacking people on their looks.It's a usefull and informative site but some of the carping is just nasty.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Those IMDB forums are, using their own words, "teh worstest!!!!111!!!" Only 1 thread in 5 doesn't end in a flame war and rarely will you find a smart, well informed post. I'll read 'em when I'm bored or when I want to share my infatuation with some obscure 80s actress... but that's about it :)

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a lot of dumb crap, but you gotta filter it out in the sense that a lot of people don't know what the fuck they're talking about, and a lot of people don't know how to properly evaluate a movie. Like their IMDb Top 250. I agree with a lot of the titles that ranked pretty high, but The Shawshank Redemption as No. 1? And The Dark Knight as No. 5? Not sure I'd agree with THAT, but those things are always debatable.

~Matt

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Matt, their rating system and how it is counted is very flawed. Most people on there either rate a film as a 10 or 1, with no middle ground or thought. Also their "top" list rankings don't even mathematically add up to how they're rated half the time.

The Shawshank Redemption is certainly a good film, but #1? Bullshit.

And if anyone thinks the IMDB information is accurate even a good percentage of the time, just try looking at a film's actual credits sometime and comparing that to what's on IMDB. Not to mention studios, aspect ratios, etc.

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Like others have said, there is a lot of folks on IMDB that are just young and stupid, or simply uninformed. Too much foolin' around. Every once in a while you'll come across folks that know what they're talking about and are very helpful. that's why we have nice forums like this :D

7. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Speaking on the Top 250, why the fuck isnt Titanic or Halloween on there????Grrr...!

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah their rating system is indeed very flawed. I don't know how Shawshank Redemption even scored so high. It is a good film, no doubt, but I never hear people talk about this movie and how good it is. (I mean, there's no "hype" or anything.) Most people just refer to it as being good and that they liked it but never the "OMG THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!" And I don't mean just my "film studies" friends, I mean people in general lol.

But yeah, I don't understand how they rate so high in terms of it making sense mathematically. Technically, The Dark Knight got more votes than The Godfather Part II. What's up with that? And Rebel Without a Cause didn't make the list? What the hell? Oh wait, it only got 22,000 votes. :rolleyes: My bad. (But then again, North By Northwest got only 71,000...errr...what?)

IMDb CAN be accurate, actually a lot of their trivia is. Their information is sometimes fucked up (sometimes they actually fuck up actors, just see John Gavin. Maybe they've fixed it, but they had him listed as John Galvin at one point and linked to an entirely different actor), but to get general information on a lot of films, it actually is quite good. It's the users that fuck it up lol. But then again, I could make a top 250 and not everyone would agree, but their top 5 is almost laughable.

~Matt

9. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

IMDb forums and AICN talkbacks, wretched hives of scum and villainy. Best to steer clear.

10. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Titanic...are u kidding

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I have to admit that film hits me emotionally every time, and I'm always amazed by the ride the story provides no matter how many times I watch it. I *know* each time its a sappy story, with only enough edge to keep it barely away from melodrama, and that normally I despise such films. But damnit this one works. Its like food you know is bad for you, but you like it so damn much you eat as much of it as you can. If it has that effect, I grudgingly have to admit that qualifies as high quality film making.

The unwashed masses only watch what is recent, only remember and comment on what is recent, and blissfully walk through life thinking nothing of quality ever occurred before then. Its the age old topic, and there of course will always be someone throwing a detracting lines of "nostalgia ain't what it used to be, and it i too quickly discounts present day quality". But the basic truth is ratings will always be skewed in favor of what is recent by that segment of the public that fixates on things that are new rather than things that have quality. While I have plenty of fun thinking smack about such knuckle draggers, I've realized its futile to actually be surprised by their behavior.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I used to try and use imdb for some quick reviews when looking over other horrordvds members trade lists (that's where ya'll shout out, "I traded with that dude!" HI-5!), but stopped instantly because every single thing I looked at was "the worst movie ever". Maybe not everyone, but dozens of "wme's" with no reasoning behind the ratings and reviews more about the reviewer than the movie. {"I first saw this movie on cable with my dog Sparky, then Sparky died and I'm sad so the movie sucks" type shit}

Someday I'll go back and read some more as a joke, but not too soon. I almost thought about chiming in and dropping some knowledge once or twice, but know that woiuldn't help anything and just probably get me more spam email. I'll still use them to look up a thing or 2, but since getting invovled in dvdprofiler see that nearly every movie on there has some kind of bad info. I guess it's good for stuff not in my collection I want to look up, but it's mistake city and needs to be cross-checked with other sites that don't just copy the info from imdb. I'd say they are good about at least getting the big stars movie lists right. For bottom of the credit list, it's a fucking mess.

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

If its nothing but a river of shit to start with, it doesn't matter how many air fresheners you make the effort to drop into it. The smell will be exactly the same when you're done.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't think you can use air fresheners like they were tea bags, can you? :eek2:

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A lot of people submit info on IMDb because "hey I know that guy, it's Burt Lancaster!" when it's just some random extra who looks nothing like him. There are lots of nuts out there who think they know everything about films and submit all kinds of crazy shit they believe just have to be true about a film with no evidence to back them up.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah definitely. It's sad but true. Oh well, I guess we have AFI (?) for a more "accurate" list of quality American films, anyway. The top 50 (or was it 100?) list on DVDbeaver.com is actually quite well though-out as well. Or whatabout the films that have been stored in the United States Library of Congress for preservation? There's some quality films there, too.

I guess my point is, IMDb's lists, although frustrating, do not in ANY WAY distinguish what a "good" film is. (And clearly everyone on here who appreciates a "good" film knows this.)

LMAO I read a review that had something SO similar to that. Hahaha it's so unbelievably ridiculous. :lol:

~Matt

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The bad thing is that it's HARD to get a new movie into their database, or at least in my experience it is.

I've been trying for over two years now to get a movie into IMDB (Vixens of Bandelero), that even played on USA Up All Night back in the day a few times. For well over it a year it sat and wasn't even processed...nor was it declined either. I recently resubmitted it a couple of months ago, and it still sits unprocessed. Fuck 'em!

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yep. We try to get our client's credits corrected all the time and it is always such a process.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And even the trivia is getting hard to dig through. For every good piece of info, you'll get crap like "The licence plate on the getaway car is 692-FJU", or "The phone number the detective calls is 555-1212"

20. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I brought this up in the My Bloody Valentine thread because it was pissing me off so much. That THX guy is the biggest loser I've yet encountered on those sorry excuses for message boards. It would be easy to just dismiss him as a troll trying to get a rise out of people but it's pretty clear that he truly believes he saw these uncut versions ... EVEN THOUGH THEY'VE NEVER BEEN SEEN BY THE PUBLIC! And, if they were, it wasn't on some cable channel like USA, which would more than likely cut most of the violence out (especially back in the 80's) rather than somehow get their hands on this rare footage. Worse still is that since Mihalka has come out to say that these bits were filmed but lost, there are now more delusional people telling this guy that he was right. We never said he was wrong about the footage, just that he never saw it! It's enough to make me want to stick a drill bit through him! :evil:

That's not nearly as bad as actual plot points from the movie being in the trivia section. You could justify that maybe your average person might miss the license plate number or phone number, even though they're useless bits of "trivia." But, when you go to Goldeneye's trivia and it says something like "Alec Trevelyan's number was 006" or "The time between the pre-credits sequence and the first scene is nine years" that's just ridiculous! We're told, point blank, that Alec's number is 006 several times throughout the film. And, there's a title card that says "Nine Years Later" after the credits sequence!