Thoughts on the new "Omen"

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Jun 7, 2006.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Here's a release with no reaction thread I can find. Maybe we're supposed to snub it? :) Anyway, I'm going to a matinee this afternoon. Wondered if any fellow posters have bothered to check it out yet. I've set my expectations so low I could step on them.

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Saw it yesterday.
    Nothing great and kinda slow. I haven't seen the original in years so I can't compare, but a lot of it jarred memories so I think it was pretty close. A couple kills felt like some left-over Final Destination stuff (can't remember if the original set them up like that).

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

bigdaddyhorse, you summed up my feelings on the film.

4. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

It was EXACTLY like the original. They changed the beheading just a little bit (best scene of the movie IMO). Overall I felt it was a carbon copy of the original, just not as good!

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It made $12,633,666 yesterday, which is pretty damn good for a Tuesday. Releasing it on 6/6/2006 was a pretty good marketing move on their part. However, I am reading it cost like $60,000,000. That seems way high for a horror remake. Did they lose their minds? I hope it at least shows on the screen.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It never looked low budget. Only one kill had painfully obvilous CGI, maybe the beheading as well although it was quick and might've practical. The sets were huge and beautiful.
    I wonder how much of that went into marketing or if they had to hire extra editors and such to rush it out for 6/6/06. It didn't feel rushed at all like some flicks I've seen.

7. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

The trailers made it look like they went the Psycho remake route. If that's the case, I hope the movie dies a slow and painful death at the box office. This is the type of remake we don't need.

8. jsun322

jsun322 New Member

Julia Stiles is awful as Kathy Thorn. She was a very poor casting choice and way too young for the part. The kid playing Damien looks too old for the part and isn't nearly as creepy as the original's Harvey Stephens (who, by the way, has a brief cameo as a reporter). One thing the original had going for it was Jerry Goldsmith's oscar-winning score, parts of which are very briefly referenced in Beltrami's (Scream) new score. The rest of the score is forgetable. Mia Farrow is good as Mrs. Baylock. The fact that she's again playing a woman raising the AntiChrist probably went way over the heads of all the teens in the audience. The deaths are pretty cool and, in one case especially, seem more plausable. The remake is almost scene for scene, line for line. It's probably one of the better horror remakes, but that's not saying much. I didn't really think the original needed much improvement, anyway.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  9. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

What is the whole freaking point of doing a remake if you're just going to copy the original? I think they would've been better served to make the movie as unique as possible while sticking to the main storyline. Where's the creativity? Did Hollywood not learn their mistake from Psycho? :rolleyes:

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I could go to see this tonight, but I won't. I can't imagine spending money seeing this film. I really just can't.

11. other than Julia Stiles I thought it was great...

the main difference between the original and this is mood...do you want a 70s mood or a 21st century mood?

12. jsun322

jsun322 New Member

I completely agree with you, Guyver. I usually agree with Roger Ebert and I saw that he had given the film three stars, but I didn't read the review. Now I wish I had, as he called it "faithful" to the original, meaning a carbon copy. Other than a casual attempt to link 9/11 and the tsunami to the AnitChrist's arrival, and a vague implication of an inappropriate physical relationship between Mrs. Baylock and Damien, there wasn't much at all to differentiate the screenplay of the remake from that of the original. I wish I hadn't contributed to its opening day "success".

13. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  14. Wolf Man

Wolf Man Guest

I can't believe nobody's pointed out the last three digits of the daily gross, yet. That almost has to be bogus.

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The movie just must be very, very evil.

Either that or it was close enough and they just went with it. More information on the opening is here.

16. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I think it is the highest grossing Tuesday ever in June, which previously went to one of the Harry Potter films with 7 mil. The next day drop should be huge. My guess is down to 3 mil or less on Wednesday. The 3 day weekend total will probably be anywhere from 12 to 16 mil.

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It's apparently the highest Tuesday gross ever.

18. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Needless remake. Julia Stiles sucks so bad. The beheading was halfway decent. And it was nice to John Morghen working again. But useless film. Truly useless.

19. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Not too bad.

Nice film, with some cool touches. Worth a rental.

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Well, I saw it. It wasn't terrible, but it pretty much left me just mildly entertained. Some parts were cool, and it was at least a bit more scary than some of the other recent remakes.

Those deaths did remind me of the FD movies, as Bigdaddy pointed out.

The kid didn't creep me out as the original's kid did. This guy was okay, but everything was just kinda okay. Don't forget I had set my expectations pretty low, so I'd recommend waiting for DVD or cable.