Three...Extremes

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Ash28M, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Three... Extremes

I went to a Rue Morgue screening of an Asian Horror anthology last night called Three... Extremes. A sequel to THREE which was made a couple of years ago with mixed reviews. I haven’t had a chance to see THREE but I Really enjoyed Three... Extremes. Takashi Miike, Fruit Chan and Chan-wook Park take turns directing what I thought may possibly be the most well wounded trilogy of horror shorts I have seen put together in quite some time.

Takashi Miike starts off with "Box". A beautify surreal film about a girl who has recurring nightmares about a traumatic childhood incident. This is the slowest film of the three but some of the imagery will stay with you for a while.

Fruit Chan then directs what may be the best of the three with “Dumplings”. The story of an aging actress who seeks out a woman renowned for her ability to making dumpling that she claims to hold the fountain of youth. What she makes the dumpling out of is what makes this story both sadistic and disturbing.

The Last story by Chan-wook Park is called “Cut” about a movie extra who feels life has mistreated him and takes it out on his director. The Last two stories have comedic elements to them that flow well with the horror. I usually don't care for the combination of the two but it really works here. Each story is spoken in a different language corresponding with they’re director as Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea are all represented.

If you get a chance to seek this out I’m sure many of you will be pleasantly surprised.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I bought this on DVD last week, but haven't had a chance to watch it. I might not even watch the DVD until after it plays here theatrically in October.

The "Dumplings" segment has been extended into a feature length film, and is easy to find at reputable (and not-so-reputable) Asian DVD sites.

3. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Yeah I also share your sentiments on this anthology. I'm a big fan of both Miike and Chan-wook Park and hearing that they made a film together, albeit not in collaboration, I had to get me a copy of this movie. I thought this film was far better than its prequel and Fruit Chan (cool name) surprise me with his little short

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I did watch this over the weekend. And like everyone says, it's one of the best horror anthologies to come out in a LONG time. There have been some negative comments about Miike's segment, but I actually found it to be the most "complete" of the trio. The other two stories kind of left me wanting more (not that that's a bad thing), but with Box I felt I had gotten the full effect of the story. Yeah, he could have found a more charismatic lead actress, but I was still creeped out.

Dumplings will have you much more than "creeped out", it will totally shock you, even if you know what it's about. I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not it should have been expanded out to a full feature, and I can definitely say I want to see the expanded version. As good as it was, I thought it ended very abruptly, and it seemed like a lot of storylines were left unresolved. In fact, Chan had too many storylines for a short film anyway, and this should have been visioned as a feature-length film from the get-go.

Cut had great visuals, but I felt the story was a little lacking. Probably my least favorite of the three, which is actually the direct opposite of what some reviewers have said.

No matter which one you prefer, Three...Extremes is a damn good film. Every Asian horror fan should already have this.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've only seen "Cut", but I didn't really care for it. From the subject matter right down to the title, it seemed overly derivative of SAW, regardless of whether or not Park was aware of it. It was no doubt better and more artistic than SAW, but for me that isn't saying much at all. The story seemed to linger too long, and near the end it tended to deviate towards the graphic sensationalism that just totally takes me out of Park's movies. I thought the finale of OLDBOY was ludicrous, with the characters going completely grand guignol just for the shock of it all. This is a gimmick that rings so shallow to me, and this is something that continues to turn me off of Asian horror. Park is trying some ambitious things with these films, but the ends results just don't do it for me.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I definitely was thinking of Saw when I was watching Cut. And you're right, it's more artistic, but maybe that kind of story should be given the low-budget sleazy feel of Saw as opposed to the classier nature of Chan-Wook Park

Rhett, you should check out Box and Dumplings, although if you're not digging Asian horror you probably won't enjoy Box

7. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Dumplings has a 90min (or more) version out on DV, supposedly it is more of a complete film than the one featured in this anthology.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw the theatrical print that Lion's Gate (yes, them) is distributing.

My biggest complaint is the change in order of the stories. Now, it's Dumplings, Cut, and then Box. I wonder if they're going with Dumplings' reputation as the reason for the switch. I don't like it. Box is the slowest of the tales (although still the best in my book), and doesn't end the film well. Opening with Box makes the viewer think it's going to be fairly restrained, but then Dumplings comes in and shakes everything up. Cut is still the best finale, too.

I also saw the full-length version of Dumplings on DVD last weekend. I really dug it, it slows down the pace enough for it to be more coherent. And, the ending is TOTALLY different, so it's in everyone's best interest to see both films.

10. jak

jak Guest

Were there any cuts made to the theatrical print?

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I'm not so intimately familiar with the movies to notice if 2 seconds of gore is missing.

Most of the bloodletting is in Cut, and that seemed intact. Dumplings is more gruesome in concept, and the only way to make that less offensive is to omit it completely. And Box wasn't particularly gory at all.

They kept in the
    abortion scene
    , as well as the reference to
    incest
    , and also the
    blood spurting from the neck wound
    , so I'd say it's uncut.

Plus, it's only getting limited release. If they were going general, I'd expect some cuts

12. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm going to try and catch this theatrically. I'm a fan of Park and Miike, so this is a no-brainer for me. I'm pretty sure I can find a theater playing it near me. Glad to know LG already has the disc prepped for release not too far away.

13. Ash

Ash New Member

It's supposed to be in theaters everywhere today but there are none playing it here in NYC of all places. Is it a super limited release?

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Box Office Mojo lists it as being in 19 theaters, so yeah, pretty limited.

I just finished this and I really thought it was a good film, although man, it was quite the ordeal in parts.

I am putting everything in spoiler tags so as not to be the punk ass biatch who spoils anything about this great movie.

I really think Box was my favorite of the bunch, even though it wasn't what I was expecting from Miike. It was so beautiful and so well done and yet so...psychologically damaging. It was almost like a trap. It told you this horrific story, but made it look so beautiful that you don't know it is hurting you until it is too late. In fact, I had to pause the movie when it was over to think about and try to digest what I had just seen. This is good because I needed the time off before watching...

Dumplings. Oh my god. This movie seems to have been made to make it hard for me to watch it as I am against abortion and don't like to watch anyone eat meat so I damn sure don't want to have it implied that anyone is eating aborted fetuses. I so desperately wanted to turn it off in parts, but I couldn't, because it was so well done and the story was so compelling on so many different levels. When it was over, I felt like I had been through something horrible. How I am possibly going to get through the full length movie of this is beyond me. Also, I am not sure how I am ever going to eat again, but what can you do but starve to death and die?

Cut was my least favorite of the three. I still enjoyed it a lot though as I find Park's sense of cinematic madness irresistible. I didn't think it was derivate of Saw, because a. that concept is hardly new, and b. it dealt with a whole different array of messages and topics. In fact, it may have put too much in there for me to catch the first go around. I think there is a lot of commentary in there I didn't pick up on because I was too busy worrying what was going to happen next. I will likely watch it again soon and see how it plays the second time.

Finally, I am not hungry so don't ask. Seriously. I'll pass.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2005
  15. Ash

Ash New Member

I caught a show tonight in NYC at the Quad Cinema. I liked all three shorts a lot.

16. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I saw this last night. What a waste of 9 bucks.

The only thing I liked was the song during the end credits. I'd like to get a copy of that... otherwise... blah.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

How about explaining what was so terrible about it?

18. Mattster

Mattster Guest

How about no?

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

How about ending your threadcrapping, if you would like to continue posting here?

20. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Am I not entitled to my opinion about a film?

Who are you to say that it's not valid because I didn't waste three paragraphs and 2 more minutes of my life explaining why I didn't like it.

Not every single feeling that every human being has is meant to be analyzed somewhere. For fuck's sake, it's just a movie.

Threats to my membership mean nothing to me. This is just a forum on the internet. If you were to ban me my life would go on just the same.