Three...Extremes

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Ash28M, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Nem

Nem Guest

ya know, i haven't seen the movie but for some reason Asian Cinema *generally* just doesn't do it for me.. i can't explain why i dont really love Battle Royale, Ring or any of the others I've seen.. I just don't.. so it's not always possible or necessary to state your opinion on why you don't like a film

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You don't have to state why you don't like a film. You could just say "it sucks" or "that was a waste of 9 bucks" but don't expect anyone to take your options seriously if you can't back it up.

3. Tye

Tye New Member

I ordered Three...Extremes from Xploited Cinema and was able to watch the DVD last night. I really enjoyed all three shorts - in fact, moreso than what I was expecting. I'm a bit hit or miss when it comes to Asian horror. I really liked both Uzumaki and Battle Royale but didn't get into other praised films such as Audition and A Tale of Two Sisters.
    Okay I went off topic - more about Three...Extremes.
    I enjoyed Dumplings the most and would love to see the full-lengthed film (if I can find it at a reputable internet site). Even though I knew what it was about it still freaked me out! I liked Box and Cut equally well however I agree that Box had the better story of the two.
    Great movie experience overall!

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Or, you could have (and should have!) seen it theatrically the week before, since it played in your city.

5. Tye

Tye New Member

My bad.....I keep forgetting to change my location (recently moved back to the midwest....long story).
    Yeah I did notice that it played in San Diego in a theater I loved going to - right next door to the best video store I've ever been in.

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I got the import of this and wasn't as impressed as most. I did however enjoy the Dumplings segment enough that I'm interested in the feature length version. I'll probably get that.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Whaaaaaaa! I'm entitled to my opinion, whaaaaaaa :cry: :rolleyes:
    For fuck sakes man I am sincerely interested in why you didn't like it as well. I tend only to read negative reviews and then decide if the reasons you or any given reviewer didn't like a film sound like reasons I wouldn't too. As it is now you look like a thread-crapper as Paff pointed out.

and Nem, I think if Mattster had simply put that he can't explain why because he doesn't really know, it would have sufficed instead of him being a jerk about it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Fango just put up some details about the US DVD release as well as a shot of the box art. The box art could be better, but it is what is inside that counts.

9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I was intending on passing on this until I read that the feature length "Dumplings" is included. That alone makes it worth a purchase. I didn't much care for the other 2 stories, and I like just about everything from Miike.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I saw this over the weekend and, man I don't know.. I was quite disappointed. The first tale by Takeshi Mike was way pretentious and annoyed me to the point that I almost skipped to the next one. The payoff was interesting but still, after a while strange angles and quiet, distilled scenes got on my nerves. It's like, quit trying to impress me with the presentation, and tell me a story worth telling.

The second film by Fruit Chan was better. Actually it was really good. There was one scene that actually made my gasp.

The last film by (eludes me at the moment) was too familiar to the Saw set up. In fact, because I had seen Saw, I was overly perseptive of what was going on and able to guess the ending from a very early point in the film. And no, I really don't care what came first, Saw or this. The fact remains, I'm familiar to this idea now. Not scary, little atmosphere, formulaic and barely engaging.

So overall, I say if you miss this you aren't missing much. Looks like I end up agreeing with Mattster after all. Still explaining dislike is appreciated.. I hope ;)

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Bad movie or not, this is the most unintentionally funny reply of the year.

12. shift

shift Hot as shit!

13. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Yes

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Just finished watching this on DVD. The order is the American release order: Dumplings, Cut, Box. It's a 2-disc set with Three... Extremes on Disc 1, with commentaries. Disc 2 has the feature length Dumplings (which I'm not going to have time to watch before I take this back so it can get out on the shelf for release tomorrow) and a making-of for Dumplings.

A really good horror anthology. Moody, really disturbing (especially Dumplings), scary, and very well written and directed. My favorite was Cut, followed by Dumplings, then Box.

Cut (Park Chanwook) - ****1/2
    Dumplings (Fruit Chan) - ****1/2
    Box (Takashi Miike) - ****

15. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Everyone here knows I love my Asian horror. This was nothing more then a pile of stinking Asian shit. All three of these films would have worked better as 15 minute shorts. Cut was nothing more then a failed attempt at imitating Peter Greenaway. Dumplings had potential, but it failed to take advantage of the subject matter. Box is nothing more then Miike taking a pathetic attempt at satisifying a foreign audience. So much pontential and all we get is crap. The only thing I can use this dvd for is making playdoh pieces out of my next shit.

16. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Can someone explain something to me? I just rented Three...Extremes and I noticed that on the disk it says Disk 1, but there is no other disk. I checked the scene index and all three films are on this disk as well as the only special feature, a directors commentary for Box. So where is Disk 2 and what is on it?

EDIT: Nevermind I read the post above. I really liked Dumplings and I want to see if Hollywood Video has Disk 2, but I doubt they do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006