TIFF 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just a few words on the Horror I've caught up to so far at the toronto Film fest.

February

Directed by the son Anthony Perkin's. This has good acting and above avg filmmaking in general. I just thought it was painfully dull. It did pick up towards the end but by then I had stopped caring. I do want to revisit this on the future as I did feel there may of been a good film in there somewhere.

Hellions

From the Director of pontypool. I thought this wasn't bad but felt like it was missing something. A group of creepy kids and interesting visuals and a hallween setting highlighted this one...yet nothing to write home about. Wait for it to hit netflix.

The Girl in the Photographs

I enjoyed this one. I thought they mixed comedy and horror quite well. Fun characters even if you want most of them to die. I enjoyed it more and more as it went along. The ending contained some nice tension and creepy visually. It doesn't seem to have many positive reviews at the moment. Hey what can I say. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Devil's Candy

Loved this. From the director of the Loved Ones. I thought this one was better. Very likable characters and one hell of a final act. I came out of this buzzin. I was hoping for at least one top quality horror and this delivered that for me.

The Witch

A slow burn period piece based in the 1630's. Can't say too much was wrong with this one. Good acting, authentic looking sets and a great payoff. Not for everyone but I think this one will be talked about for a while. Recommended.

Southbound

Loved this one as well. One of the best anthologies I've ever seen. Each story blended perfectly into the next and each story was top notch. Great end to the festival.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Hellions was released OnDemand yesterday, I watched that and Cooties last night myself (and will be checking out Some Kind Of Hate this evening).

I'm a sucker for all things Halloween, so I was really digging Hellions for the first half hour. After that, it kind of goes off the rails. Still, I was with it for the next half hour, but it totally lost me in the final half hour. Way too arthouse and abstract for my taste. But it sure was pretty to look at, especially in hi-def. I don't regret renting it. This was the first real Halloween-ish movie I've watched this season, so it definitely helped get me in the spirit.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Green Room was remarkable and deserves a lot of attention.

The Girl in the Photographs definitely has been getting a lot of bad reviews. Personally, I thought those reviews are well deserved. No one else that was with us really liked it, either. Glad you did, Ash28M, I was pretty aggravated walking out of there at 2am.

Baskin was a Turkish entry that appeared to have promise of being a dark, bloody entry. In the end, it too disappointed everyone I was with including myself. The story was just silly and the characters were rather uninteresting given that he had a whole bunch of dialogue between the characters at the beginning a la Reservoir Dogs. Frankly, even if I watched this on Netflix on a lazy afternoon I'd still probably not get through all of it.

Hellions was cool in a cute way. There were some dark aspects to it while it being more of a movie for teenagers with only moderate exposure to the harder stuff. Still go in with managed expectations.

Tonight will be Final Girls! I have higher hopes for this one despite being a more PG rated film.

Edit: I did go see Final Girls and it was really fun. No illusion, this is more of a PG rated film as far as horror goes. However, there are numerous kills, fun characters and neat ideas that makes a fresh take. Very well directed as well having a good look to it. Anyone can shoot on RED nowadays, but some good post will get you to the promise land.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Be sure and let us know how The Final Girls is! Looking at their line-up, it definitely looks like the highlight.

Green Room is also one I've had my eye on, as I loved Blue Ruin. Glad to hear that it's worth getting excited about.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I regret note going to this one. Everything I have been reading has been positive.

On a side not I watched a couple of non horror that were both great. The Wave and Sleeping Giants. Check them out if you get the chance.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

..added a review for The Witch.

othervoice1 likes this.
  7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I was there 10th through the 15th but it was all business, so no horror, just "regular films"...

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Added a few words on Southbound.

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Added my take on Final Girls.