Tim Burton is...

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Dec 8, 2007.

?

Tim Burton is...

Poll closed Jan 7, 2008.
  1. A great, visionary filmmaker

25 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Good, but too self-consciously strange

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Hit and miss

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Below average, I only like one or two of his films

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. A pompous, esoteric hack

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I really like Burton's films especially when he has Johnny Depp on board.

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Agreed that Apes and beyond has not been a very good period for Burton, particularly the cavity-inducing Big Fish. But he's done such great work otherwise that I had to vote for the second from the top option. Will give Todd a chance.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I voted the top option, but yes, every director has some misses. Apes of course.

But when you're watching a Tim Burton movie, you know it's a Tim Burton movie. He has a distinct style and vision. Apes excluded.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Was torn between the top 2 opitions and went with "A great, visionary filmmaker". Apes gets bashed non-stop, but I even enjoyed that one. It works as a big, loud, dumb popcorn flick. Big Fish was boring as all hell to me, but still felt like a good film, just not my cup of tea.
    Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, Beatlejuice and even Scissorhands are all top-notch masterpeices IMO. Batman was almost destroyed after his great start of that franchise. I even wanted to hate Batman due to the hype machine, but ended up loving it when I finally watched it at a second-run theater. Loved Corpse Bride as well, so he's really only completely missed me with Nightmare Before Xmas, and that's just cuz I can't stand musicals 99% of the time.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Luna probably loves him, especially because Danny Elfman does his soundtracks.

6. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I enjoy a majority of his films, there's only a couple I didn't like (Planet and Big Fish). Voted Great.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well I certainly can't argue with that. Instead, I'll just sort of continue where I left off before with exactly the same thing I hinted at. Tim Burton at least has the talent to make another masterpiece. Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory might not have been it, but it will come.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I put great but I have to admit I admire his imagination and vision more then I enjoy some of this films.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Although I find him hit and miss, I went with Visionary because his highs definitely out-weigh his lows.

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Hit and miss definitely:

Planet of the Apes, Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride were awful.

Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, Edward Scissor Hands and Sleepy Holow were genius.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Sheesh, no love for Pee Wee's Big Adventure here? One of the top 5 best comedies of the 80s, imo.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Hit and miss for me. Planet of the Apes along with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were such awful pointless remakes. Haven't cared for some of his other work, but those really stand out in the worst way.

I lost count how many times I've watched his first Batman. Probably my favorite Burton film, due in large part to Jack Nicholson. Ed Wood is another favorite even though much of Lugosi is historically inaccurate as depicted. Count me among the very few who really enjoyed Big Fish.

I have no interest in seeing Sweeney Todd.

13. I voted for "Hit and miss", though I would say a mix between that and "Good, but too self-consciously strange" would most accurately describe how I feel about his work. Sure I recognize that he did great things in the past and he should be proud of that, but I just can't get myself that excited about a new Tim Burton movie anymore.

And yes, my favorite Tim Burton movie is indeed "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure". My niece (6) and nephew (3) just watched it for the first time and loved it, though my overprotective sister wouldn't let them watch the Large Marge segment...

14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Burton is simply amazing. Few directors can churn out such original and magnificent work in their careers like he can. Also, Pee Wee's Big Adventure is genius.