Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Anyone who's a fan of Nightmare before Christmas obviously is going into Corpse Bride with expectations set high. I was one of those people and well, I have been terribly disappointed. Terribly.

Where to start? Well, first off the look of Corpse Bride is pretty much the exact same as Nightmare. In fact I wouldn't be surprised is there were some of the same models used. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but something different might have been refreshing and at least a salvageable feature.

The characters we get are barely likable save the Corpse Bride herself. Johnny Depp's character is really lame compared to what we've seen in Jack Skellington. There is the coolness of having Christopher Lee voice one of these characters, but he's barely used and wasted on this picture.

There are MAJOR plot holes, and not just the kind that you can forgive because you love all things Tim Burton. The kind that you CAN'T forgive because you value your own intelligence.

Music? Annoying and forgettable - NEXT!

Ending? I laughed uncomfortably yet uncontrollably.

This one is terrible folks. If you're a Tim Burton fan, count this as the equivalent to seeing him picking his nose. It will shatter your opinion of his artistic credibility.
    3/10 - nice animation but only an hour long? Effort in storytelling would have been nice.

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Amazing... you didn't even like the trippy skeleton dance? :confused:

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It was alright. That I would chalk up to "good animation" but the music they were dancing to was just not up to snuff(by the way did Elfman do any of these songs?). There was also a brief moment when the dead where en route to the wedding that I found mildly entertaining, but then I realized that they didn't have to go through the lame process of traversing dimensions that was outlined priviously(I can only assume to fill space).

4. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Wow, I couldn't agree less with you.
    I thought it all looked much better than TNBC. Again a nice separation between the two worlds: the world of the living is almost as if it's filmed in black and white and has a kafkaesque feeling to it, whilst the world of the dead is very vibrant and colourful. The puppets were superbly crafted and very well animated (the butler!!). Also, the voices were great IMO: Johnny Depp was great as usual, Christopher Lee was anice surprise and I'm glad someone finally recognised Paul Whitehouses talent as a voice actor!
    Concerning the music: it's the first time since long thet you can so very clearly hear Elfman's Oingo Boingo background in his songs. While I agree he has done better things, I still think this soundtrack was nice and refreshing.
    And the story... OK, so it's predictable. Keep in mind this is a fairy tale. Fairy tales are embedded in our cultural inheritance and reflect implicit structures. Hence, it's not very surprising they're predictable.

And let's face it, the bride herself was absolutely stunning.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I thought it was just stunning. I enjoyed the visuals, the voice work, and the music and really just everything. I was likely smiling the whole time I was watching it. It was a great theater experience. Still, I can't wait to get the DVD and view it in my set up. It's going to be amazing with all those colors.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Once I found out there were songs, this one just dropped off my radar. Mok's comments just make me want to erase it from the memroy banks entirely. Just because it's animated doesn't mean we need songs.

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I soooo agree with you Mok!

TNBC is easily one of my favorite movies ever. I love the music, the look, the vocal-performances, the message ... every single thing.

The Corpse Bride was soulless, pretty and uninteresting. Of course, it was VERY pretty, but in my mind nothing can top Jack and Sally silhouetted by the moon singing "We're simply meant to be ..." One of the most romantic scene in the history of cinema.

There is nothing outstanding in Corpse Bride, apart from the brilliant animation. It looks fabulous, but the story is lame, the characters er lame and the conclusion is highly questionable at best!
    I mean, seriously, if you'd see your true love choose a dead corpse IN FRONT OF YOUR NOSE (in a church, no less) would you still agree to marry him?!?! My god, that was soooooo lame!

The music was also flat and uninspired (not to mention uninspiring). No memorable tunes, which in of itself would be ok if there were any good tunes to speak of. Alas, there are none.

I wasn't expecting another TNBC, but still ... this was a very, very disappointing film for me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

and just to be clear - it's not that I object to Victor chosing the corpse bride, but rather that he'd simply choose any other woman in front of his wife-to-be, and that it didn't seem to make any difference to Victoria. I mean, was she not paying attention?

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Mmm, true, but would you rather omit the songs from Nightmare? I wouldn't. That one had great music. "This is Hal-low-een, everybody make a scene.." can probably get stuck in your head just by reading this. It comes to mind easily and isn't the least bit annoying. Without those songs, there would be less to look forward to in Nightmare. The music is part of the charm. I defy anyone to comapare one piece of music from Corpse Bride to Nightmare. Hell, I defy anyone to even hum a song from Corpse Bride. They were all shit. Oingo Boingo? I don't think so.

And _pi_ about the ending, what in THE fuck was up with
    the Corpse Bride turning into butterflies/moths/whateverthefuckshewas? That was the point when my girlfriend and I turnned to each other and.. :hum: :lol: