Tim Lucas' Mario Bava Book

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Mario77, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Maybe I'm biased -- okay, I am biased -- but I adore the films of Mario Bava (even the ones other people seem to hate) and regard him a true no-budget genius. He is, in my opinion, a director unsurpassed in horrific elegance, style and beauty. Yes, I could easily say the same about Argento (I do love him ever so), but Bava is the Grand-daddy.
    Alright, enough of my hero-worshipping... I'll cut to the point.
    I've been eagerly awaiting Tim Lucas' book All the Colors of the Dark: The Films of Mario Bava for some time now. It seems that in every new commentary track or liner notes that Mr. Lucas contributes to Bava DVD releases, he makes a brief reference to the book; and each time it's release date is pushed back more. Now, I'm not one to be pushy;) ( I'll take quality over expedience any day) , but where is this book? Does anyone know if it's coming out this fall as last promised? Is anyone else excited to read the first real book about Mario to be published in the States?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2001
  2. dlundh

dlundh Guest

A couple of issues back of Video Watchdog, Tim Lucas spent the entire editorial thanking everyone for their patience with the book and announced that it will be coming this FALL. (Another delay). He said it might get done earlier but to be on the safe side he stated Fall 2001 as the time frame.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the book although it will set me back $125.

3. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Ouch! $125? Oh well, I'm sure it will be well worth it! :D

4. Trout

Trout Guest

Having read various articles by Mr.Lucas, I would bet my entire DVD collection that this book will be more than amazing. Even though the $125+ price is steep, it is probably worth it.

5. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Yeah, I've always enjoyed his writing in Video Watchdog; and even back before Video Watchdog when he wrote for Gorezone (that short-lived Fangoria spin-off). He was pretty much the only good thing about Gorezone. I'm sure the book is going to be fantastic! But I don't think it'll be $125 here in the States. I think dlundlh might have to pay more living in Sweden. I can't imagine it costing that much normally (not that I wouldn't buy it anyway).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2001
  6. dlundh

dlundh Guest

I always liked Chas. Balun in GoreZone but I'm getting off-topic. :)

7. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

You're right though, dlundh. How could I forget Chas. Balun? He's a good writer.

8. Trout

Trout Guest

"Piece-o-mind" if I'm not mistaken.

9. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Should be a good read. Looking forward to it.

10. jae

jae Guest

I read on another forum that he recently got new interviews with Daliah Lavi and others, that he got the chance to see early Bava movies hes never seen before, etc and that the book will come out 'eventually'.. I'm also looking forward to it.. Maybe if you can't wait you should look into Troy Howarth's book The Haunted World of Mario Bava. It comes out in September I think. I'm not sure what all it covers but is supposed to have a ton of pictures in it. I've already pre-ordered Lucas' book (97$ I believe, you should look into that) and will also be buying Howarth's book since books by this company (Fab Press) seem to go out of print and become collectible.

Oh and let me say Bava is by far my favorite euro director too. Nobody comes close.

11. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Great info, jae! Glad to hear he got an interview with Daliah Lavi. With whom did you pre-order Lucas' book? Directly from FAB Press? That's the best price I've heard of so far. Boy, I'll have to cut back on DVDs these next couple of months so I can afford both books! :D

12. jae

jae Guest

Hmm. Sorry about this but I just checked my old email and found that the pre-order deadline was June 30th (if you preordered you got the lower price). You might try emailing Tim Lucas at videowd@aol.com and asking though because I know the date was pushed back from March to June before. I preordered with them, just mailed them a check.

13. laze

laze Guest

Actually...

Actually, the pre-order date has been moved to September according to the latest issue of VW.

14. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Yeah, I just heard back from Donna Lucas and she mentioned the pre-order date being moved back. Whew! (Mario77 wipes sweat off his brow). Mrs. Lucas also said pre-orders will get a Mario Bava bookmark signed by Tim. Cool! :D

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

bump.

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!! :D

Why don't you just admit it, Tim? You got nothin'. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Yeah, and first 100 copies will be signed by Mario Bava himself. Lucas is a good writer but it has been a long time and the price is stupid. Oh well...

17. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Your kidding me right?

Bava signed... :lol: :lol:

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What I find sad is that he'd found time for his magazine, for DVD commentaries and liner notes and whatnot. This book clearly has a lower priority. Pity. As if I'd order early just to have a Lucas signature... I mean come on...

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's a low priority as much as that the project has clearly become an obsession that he just can't let go. He's striving for a level of perfection that a person could spend an entire lifetime on and still never achieve. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that he wasted months trying to decide which fonts to use. He's stalled the release dates numerous times due to finding more people to interview, but you know what, Tim? That's what revised editions are for! If had released this damned thing in 2001 like was promised at the beginning of this thread, five years later isn't too short of a time for an updated edition with new interviews. Heck, a lot of us might have even ponied up the money for a double dip.

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I hope you didn't mean that! :lol: :eek2: :lol: