Tim Lucas' Mario Bava Book

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Mario77, Jul 22, 2001.

1. youthief

youthief Member

delete

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

He updated his blog on the 19th about all that, I don't think he's scamming anyone. Perhaps it won't make the August 21st date, but I have no doubt it'll be released this year at least. The man has in fact release several books that do exist and has a current publishing magazine, one of the few left I'm afraid. Delays happen but I'm sure he's being as honest as he can be without hiring a news agency to make something like an online stock ticker.

Anyways it doesn't make sense to say, "I can't give a solid release date, so instead I'll give a solid release date and raise the price $120 dollars except to those that pre-order. That'll be a big enough bone to keep those dogs from barking for awhile." There's no logic to that.

3. youthief

youthief Member

delete

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  4. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Agreed. This guy must be delusional.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm sure you guys are going to love this. :D Tim Lucas is having an auction with all sorts of book and Bava related goodies:
    http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/search/label/Bava Book Auction

He's probably hoping for the auction to pull in about $50,000 which is a number I've heard thrown around. I read on a forum which shall remain nameless that Tim Lucas plans to dump all the money he's made from his pre-ordering scam and now his eBay scams into a swimming pool and take a swim with Donna who's actually a 14 year old girl that's been posing as his wife for decades.

On or around August 21st. Do you want him to forward your cell phone number to the dock so you'll be the first one they call when the ship comes in? That's probably all there still is to say and so he's simply reluctant to keep telling the mounting e-mails what he's already been saying.

To be fair you're probably right to an extent. Yes pre-orders help pay the bills. Yes shipping works very much like that. But I'd also state what Don May Jr's said about pre-ordering DVDs, it gives a better idea about demand so you know what expectations to set. This book has been for pre-order for years. Tim probably wanted to get a better idea how much interest there was, so he used the price adjustment to his advantage in order to renew interest in pre-ordering and get another sampling of interest.

And maybe, heaven forbid, he was just doing his and Bava's fans a favor by giving them once last chance to get the book at a lower price before economics force him to raise it for retail. I know, crazy. I must have forgot my pills somewhere in all this tin foil I keep around me.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That makes zero sense.

7. TropicalFish

TropicalFish Guest

I had signed up at lthese forums at least two weeks ago or longer, but finally got approved today. Appropriate timing, as the Bava book has now arrived in the States and will be shipping in a couple of days, according to Lucas' blog.

I was watching the auction, and disappointed that the bidder's names were kept private...I wanted to see who was bidding!

Nevertheless I think he made about $5,000 on the deal...

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep, here's the most ooey gooey details from Lucas's blog:
    http://bavabook.blogspot.com/2007/08/bava-book-comes-to-cincinnati.html

Since I pre-ordered at nearly the last moment I'm sure I'm towards the end of the queue, but I've already got my Bava book marker in the mail so I'm re-reading that over and over again in the meantime.

9. TropicalFish

TropicalFish Guest

Bava bokk..

>>>>Since I pre-ordered at nearly the last moment I'm sure I'm towards the end of the queue

I sincerely hope that it lives up to all expectations. Hope you'll post a review here...

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I got it today and it is huge. It's bigger than the family bible. I browsed through the Diabolik section as it's the film I'm most familiar with, and the layout is beautiful. They use quite a few behind the scenes photos of Mario Bava being very playful, reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock. I can't wait to read it, I'll have to make time now.

11. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i got mine too. what a joy to behold! im so proud to have my name listed in the PATRONS section! amazing!

12. TropicalFish

TropicalFish Guest

Well, anyone care to share any reviews???

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to get this book? I can't find it anywhere online except at Video Watchdog for $260! Is there any other option?

14. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

That's pretty much the price you'll have to pay for it. The lowest I've seen it is in the $240-$250 range. Too rich for my blood.

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Me too. I don't mind spending money on stuff I love but $260 is too much.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

this book will be mine....eventually.....once i can sell a few organs....

17. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I have seen the book, but do not own a copy yet. I love Bava, but this book is not going to make me fork out that kind of $$ for information that has been printed elsewhere. Sure, it is gorgeous and a good collectors item for the "TRUE" fan. But is it worth the money? Honestly, I had to ask myself after a quick glance just how often I would revisit.

I think once you read through it, and spend a bit of time with the book, it will likely sit on your shelf and collect dust. It is one of those items you will stare at from a distance and question your motives.

I have paid well over $100 for books in my time. But those books served a purpose. And unless I was using this as a historical reference to use for papers or articles in the future, the price does not justify itself for what I can get elsewhere.

18. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

On the commentary for Baron Blood, Lucas says he has already found a mistake in his book: the name and/or location of the castle where it was shot. And other mistakes may eventually be found, or new info turned up, or even the names of new obscure films Bava worked on, meaning there may eventually be a new edition. Although considering how long it took to put together the first, and all the costs, maybe not...

19. Carrefour

Carrefour Guest

I pre-ordered it when the price was $125 and it's now my most prized book by a long shot. The wealth of information is incredible, not just about Bava and his films, but about the Italian film industry in general. I would be shocked if there weren't a few errors in a book with so much content. If I didn't know what the book contained, I probably wouldn't buy it at $260 either -- although I personally think it's worth it. Still, I'm still glad I bought it at half that price. :D

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Nice old thread here. I'm thinking about buying this book.. I have a few hundred burning a hole in my PayPal account.. Haven't seen a ton of Bava but iI have really enjoyed reading some of these horror reference books. Should I pull the trigger?